Hitting a five iron

Bob Eisenman

Getting to a driving range is a matter of choice......hitting the golf ball correctly takes some  practice.....I haven't picked up a golf club for a few years. My Gotway Monster went about 12 miles to get me to the driving range. It was fun.

60560.png

7 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Getting to a driving range is a matter of choice......hitting the golf ball correctly takes some  practice.....I haven't picked up a golf club for a few years. My Gotway Monster went about 12 miles to get me to the driving range. It was fun.

60560.png

Nice swing, Bob!

But the real question is whether your Monster will get you to Tilted Kilt in Boston?

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Nice swing, Bob!

Thanks....I broke my shoulder in March. I was wondering if the shoulder would move in the golf swing without a problem. The swing is in but my contact with the ball needs some practice. I tee'd the ball up rather than hit off the mat. My mat scuffs can be a real joint jolt when mis-hits happen but when hit well the ball really flies cleanly off the mat.

I used to coach golf (play with kids) with an older guy in the 1980's. He was on Omaha Beach (Normandy) in WWII. He told me once that 'golf is a stupid game'. In some ways I agree. But it is fun to swing the club correctly and watch the ball travel.

I kept the Monster parked behind the tee. If you've ever hit the ball badly off the toe of the club then you know how they ricochet off the adjacent wall. I wouldn't want to bang up my new Monster.

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Nice swing, Bob!

But the real question is whether your Monster will get you to Tilted Kilt in Boston?

Do you eat 'Pavlova cake' at Christmas?

I'd never heard of Pavlova until a recent Blender 3D email from someone in Australia. Reading about Pavlova on the net says it is popular in New Zealand as well. The name Pavlova apparently comes from a Russian ballerina in the early 1900s .

"

Hey Bob,

It's that time of year again: time to stuff our faces with baked ham, pavlova and jump in the pool! (at least that's how we do it in Australia).

But it also means it's time for the annual Blender Christmas Competition!

What does Christmas mean to you? "

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:05 AM, Bob Eisenman said:

Do you eat 'Pavlova cake' at Christmas?

I'd never heard of Pavlova until a recent Blender 3D email from someone in Australia. Reading about Pavlova on the net says it is popular in New Zealand as well. The name Pavlova apparently comes from a Russian ballerina in the early 1900s .

I love a good pavlova! 

But not just at Christmas... They are good all year 'round. 

And whenever my wife makes ice cream, she also makes pavlova - one needs the egg yolks and the other the whites. So it is a win-win situation for this fat unicyclist. 

On 11/28/2017 at 9:33 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

whenever my wife makes ice cream, she also makes pavlova

Cooking with the Monster...

So....next time...my 'berries, whipped cream, merengue and vanilla chocolate chips' dish will look higher and more stiff, like a traditional Pavlova cake , if I use an electric mixer to whip the egg whites and sugar mixture rather than using a hand whip and stopping after an hour of trying to create 'soft peaks' of merengue. I used some vinegar rather than cream of tartar because I couldn't find cream of tartar at the store.?

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/pavlova-layer-cake/

61096.jpg

61097.jpg

Okay Bob... Mrs TFU is involved now - Done right, a pavlova is a beautiful thing and while I can't even boil toast properly, she is epic in the kitchen, so make the most of it... 

The cream and fruit are important, but before that you need to get the pav. right. It should be 2-3" high, with a crispy chewy shell and a soft marshmellowy inside. Out of the oven it should look something like this... 

1463373044937.jpg

You need to use the electric beater, otherwise you won't get enough air into it. Unless you commit to a whole day with the hand mixer. 

And as some ingredients are harder to get in the US., try this recipe instead... 

IMG_20171130_2102000.jpg

Let us know how you got on! 

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2017 at 3:45 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

You need to use the electric beater,

Yes...that makes a world of a difference... to reach 'soft meringue' peaks....just got one as a gift.

Mrs TFU is involved now

Really...!!!

It should be 2-3" high, with a crispy chewy shell and a soft marshmellowy inside.

I'm still in the realm of 'interleaved berries and merangue (firm to the touch)'

rather than baked merangue cake with topping.

My try at 1 hour at 250 (gas) made a crunchy top Pav. with a big air void (after cooling) between the crusty top and the 'marshy'mallow inside.

Parchment looks like an ideal under liner for baking a Pav.

Yesterday's 'interleaved berries, whipped cream and merangue' (35 minutes at 250 Electric) looks like:

79253.jpg

79276.jpg

Archived