Beginner: Used E or E+? What would you choose?

alcatraz

Hey! Sorry if this has been discussed. I looked for a thread on the topic but couldn't find one.

I'm 35y, 62kg, active cyclist, and I'm interestested in having a wheel for recreational riding that potentionally could lead to some practical use. I've never tried an euc before.

Streets here where I live are wide and roomy, traffic is dense but slow, and there are many bumps and such. I'm not looking to set a speed record or a distance record as I do that when cycling.

Just looking for a machine to get around in the spare time. The distances are 5-10km tops and mostly 1km I would say.

I see that where I live (china) I can get a used E for around 140$ and an E+ would run me around 230$.

Replacing the battery is not a huge deal here so I'd like to assume for my case that the batteries are equally worn. I'm sure that there are capacity upgrades available, should I be interested in increasing the range. However I do realize that there are performance and maybe quality/reliability/serviceability differences between the E and E+. I do very much like the idea of a serviceable and long lasting wheel.

If you were me, what would you choose? Obviously 230$ is nothing for a frequent user but for someone looking to try it out and possibly avoid having to change the wheel in the future, it's an interesting question still, no?

Some people really want that added power/speed the E+ can bring but I'm mostly interested in the reliability and comfort of it. Range can be extended with upgrades anyway right?

Thank you very much for reading. Greetings!

/a

Edit: What do you do with your ninebots if you wanna head into a mall? Do you have an externally mounted extendable handle to lead the ninebot beside you? I'm kind of jealous of the euc's that come with such a handle flush with the machine.

I've never ridden the E, but for the small difference in money, I'd buy the E+. I owned the E+ for about a year or more. Great wheel, but also has some limits.  Eventually, sooner than you think, you'll want more range and performance than the E.

The only reason I'd say buy E would be if you might upgrade again. In that case, save a couple dollars and learn on the E, then sell it and buy a GotWay, KingSong, etc...

The NineBot is a great wheel to train on as it is very durable. And, if desired, you can buy individual components to make it look new again. 

++ for the E+

I have been riding my Ninebot E+ for more than a year and still love it. I ride mostly in urban/suburban areas, and reach speeds of up to 25kph / 15 mph, which is above the Ninebot E+ spec. I also have two spare battery packs and have modified the cover for easy, secure quick change of the battery (inspired by Supersport et al, but implemented differently - video under development). Since I ride aggro at the upper speed limit and often carry a load of 10-20 lbs, plus my 170lb weight, I average between 15km (one battery) to 50km (+ 2 spares). 

I do intend to buy an 18" wheel with superman battery for long trail rides, but am not in a hurry to do so, and might wait for the next-gen wheels from Gotway or other manufacturer.

On ‎12‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 2:34 AM, alcatraz said:

... I'm not looking to set a speed record or a distance record as I do that when cycling.

Just looking for a machine to get around in the spare time. The distances are 5-10km tops and mostly 1km I would say.

I see that where I live (china) I can get a used E for around 140$ and an E+ would run me around 230$.

Replacing the battery is not a huge deal here so I'd like to assume for my case that the batteries are equally worn. I'm sure that there are capacity upgrades available, should I be interested in increasing the range. However I do realize that there are performance and maybe quality/reliability/serviceability differences between the E and E+. I do very much like the idea of a serviceable and long lasting wheel.

As you've mentioned yourself. the battery replacing is not a problem and then you can just buy a larger battery to E model, sending the spare cash towards that bigger battery. E and E+ are not that different and if you are a DIY kind of person, there should be no problem to reprogram the E into the E+ ;) The only differeces between them are firmware (max speed restrictions) and battery capacity.

On ‎12‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 2:34 AM, alcatraz said:

Edit: What do you do with your ninebots if you wanna head into a mall? Do you have an externally mounted extendable handle to lead the ninebot beside you? I'm kind of jealous of the euc's that come with such a handle flush with the machine.

Trolley bar is a neat thing to have on ninebot one. And I wouldn't be without it. It also can be used to mount camera/lights on it.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Right now I don't know if I should shell out almost twice the money for an N2O model (with 12 mosfets) or just go with the E1O.

Would you pay 80% more for those extra 2-3km/h speed? I live in a dense city with an occasional huge square here and there. Does it make sense?

Hmm...

/a

10 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Right now I don't know if I should shell out almost twice the money for an N2O model (with 12 mosfets) or just go with the E1O.

Would you pay 80% more for those extra 2-3km/h speed? I live in a dense city with an occasional huge square here and there. Does it make sense?

Hmm...

/a

I would go for N20 model. Much more reliable version of controller board. Not for the speed sake but for the better safety.

Archived