Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have an idea on way to mount a strong metal loop to minipro's metal fram with its mounting bolts hidden under structures (would reguire major dissassably to reach). and the loop can be camoflaged with matching body color, matte finish.It would give place to loop a bicycle cable or ulock through for attaching to stationary objects that bicycles attach to. the knee turnning arm can be removed like a bicycle seat to keep it safe while parking the minipro.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested in what you come up with for mounting a loop for a bicycle cable. I have just wrapped a cable around and around the control bar down low and pulled it tight to a bike stand but if someone knew to just undo the control bar clamp they could take my minipro in 5 seconds! It looks secure when you walk by and see a cable wrapped around it but I know it's not. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TLyleJeep said:

I would be interested in what you come up with for mounting a loop for a bicycle cable. I have just wrapped a cable around and around the control bar down low and pulled it tight to a bike stand but if someone knew to just undo the control bar clamp they could take my minipro in 5 seconds! It looks secure when you walk by and see a cable wrapped around it but I know it's not. :D

i would recommend putting a coverover it. and i know of some travel security bas that have wire mesh insde and locking opening.. also similarly.. the USPS has used this and also i believe the military duffle bags have a locking cable end. shttps://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flak-sack-the-theft-resistant-drawstring-backpack#/ omehting like this or like this with metal cable replacement http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mail-bag

another thought i have is to give it urban camoflage as described in the Urban cyclists survival guide

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-Cycling-Survival-Guide-Need/dp/1770412182

or something like this:

Pacsafe 85-Liter Bag Protector

 http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1360011/pacsafe-85-liter-bag-protector.jsp 

1360011.jpg

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Synap said:

i would recommend putting a coverover it. and i know of some travel security bas that have wire mesh insde and locking opening.. also similarly.. the USPS has used this and also i believe the military duffle bags have a locking cable end. shttps://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flak-sack-the-theft-resistant-drawstring-backpack#/ omehting like this or like this with metal cable replacement http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mail-bag

another thought i have is to give it urban camoflage as described in the Urban cyclists survival guide

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-Cycling-Survival-Guide-Need/dp/1770412182

or something like this:

Pacsafe 85-Liter Bag Protector

 http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1360011/pacsafe-85-liter-bag-protector.jsp 

1360011.jpg

The wire bag idea is good but I don't want to carry a big wire net around with me. I think your idea of mounting a loop on the underside of the deck is much better, that way I can just use a simple bike cable that I can wrap around the control bar until I need to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TLyleJeep said:

The wire bag idea is good but I don't want to carry a big wire net around with me. I think your idea of mounting a loop on the underside of the deck is much better, that way I can just use a simple bike cable that I can wrap around the control bar until I need to use it.

I agree.. and it allow person to use locks they already have for bicycles. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think i would cover all the bolts with ezpoxy so they can not easily be removed with a hex key. but still can be used by careful removal of the epoxy for repair maintenance.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this Yeti cable lock could work for securing segway minipro to pole or other sercur opening ?? 

or this one.. 

 

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeti has some interesting calbe locks that might wiork for securitng a segway to a ple or table or fence or tree etc.. by striging the cable into the body of the segway. and then around tree.. or perhaps getting two of the lockeing machanisms.. with and or permanently affixing one end of cable inside the body of seway with lose end outside witcche can be secured around a tree fence or pole using the

yete cable lock.?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yeti lock is very similar to what I have. I have the Master Lock 8417D Python adjustable locking cable which would work very well with some type of loop on the bottom of the minipro deck.

master.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TLyleJeep said:

The Yeti lock is very similar to what I have. I have the Master Lock 8417D Python adjustable locking cable which would work very well with some type of loop on the bottom of the minipro deck.

master.jpg

i like it.. and i see they make them with different cable diameters/gauges.. I wonder what the ease is of lock picking these locks.. I would be interesting if they designed a keyless type.. with bluetooth entry and capacitive touch code unlock.. like these 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think most key locks are very secure, they just keep honest people honest. It would be nice if they had a bluetooth cable lock but I have never seen one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if one of these on both sides bolted to frame using the motor mounts would work?? a d ring .. or even taking a piece of metal and being it like this (minus the d ring.. and drilling holes in it would suffice? ?

D RING.jpg

underside.png

Edited by Synap
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The D-Ring would work if it lines up with the bolts on the motor but I think I will just get a piece of metal like this picture and drill my own holes where the unused holes are and bend the metal around the bottom of the housing and exit out the front and then drill another hole to loop my cable thru.

I'm going to wait a while and see what the after market comes up with as I'm sure it would look better than anything I could make. They already have the kickstand that mounts to the unused holes so they might come out with something else.

bracket.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The minipro also has the Kensington lock slot on the bottom but I have no idea which Kensington cable lock would fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TLyleJeep said:

The D-Ring would work if it lines up with the bolts on the motor but I think I will just get a piece of metal like this picture and drill my own holes where the unused holes are and bend the metal around the bottom of the housing and exit out the front and then drill another hole to loop my cable thru.

I'm going to wait a while and see what the after market comes up with as I'm sure it would look better than anything I could make. They already have the kickstand that mounts to the unused holes so they might come out with something else.

bracket.jpg

maybe can get the kickstand and drill hole into that frame for the cable? or the manufacture can add value by drilling it while in manufacutering to give it this additional feature? i still am looking for videor or pictures describing how the metal support frame is mounted to minipro and what bolts the holes correspond to. 

ninebot segway minipro kickstand frame mount.png

segway ninebot minipro kickstand mounted to frame close up.png

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

or possibly finding a suitably size gatehous hasp to bolt to under side of minipro.. like this one?? to string up cable through? this one sell for 3 bucks at Lowes hardware.. and it appears i could be bent to accomodate different widths.. and would give a double metal holes. to secure cable through? 

gatehouse 3.5 inch steel hasp010254209784.jpg

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the holes are going to be very close.. and if note.. there are other size hasps that can be selected from that have better match? using the motor bolts to secure in four points?

mounting gate hasp to motor bolts to use as hole for cable lock.png

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for security i think better is not modify all including wheel-motor, attached to the body

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

for security i think better is not modify all including wheel-motor, attached to the body

the motor is not modified at all.. only applies an additional plate and then secures bolt on top.. depending on the length of bolts may make no difference because the plate will probably be 2 milometers at most.. and if this is issue can replace bolts that are 2 milometers longer to give identical length. should be no issue at duplicating torque.. and if concern can add locktite to provide extra assurance that bolts stays secure.. and if holes in metal are identical to holes in motor plate.. i can not see how it can cause any negative effect for motor. the only thing i can see as possible concern is clearance of the metal.. but it appears that should not be a problem either.. but i will need to do measurements once i find suitable hasp. for this project

other attachment points could be under battery.. but this would cause water seal to be insecure i think. additional points on frame underneath the top center piece. but these too would cause complications for cable exit. I don't feel comfortable using the kickstand frame because the bolts holding the kickstand to frame are from fender and not very strong or secure, compared to the 4 bolts holding the motor to frame.. 

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2016 at 0:06 PM, Synap said:

I have an idea on way to mount a strong metal loop to minipro's metal fram with its mounting bolts hidden under structures (would reguire major dissassably to reach). and the loop can be camoflaged with matching body color, matte finish.It would give place to loop a bicycle cable or ulock through for attaching to stationary objects that bicycles attach to. the knee turnning arm can be removed like a bicycle seat to keep it safe while parking the minipro.

I emailed that suggestion to Segway N America some weeks ago.  No reply...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TLyleJeep said:

The minipro also has the Kensington lock slot on the bottom but I have no idea which Kensington cable lock would fit.

If you enlarge the inner hole slightly - very easy to do - a normal Kensington lock fits the outer slot.  I use one all the time.  Makes it snatchproof but that's about all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

If you enlarge the inner hole slightly - very easy to do - a normal Kensington lock fits the outer slot.  I use one all the time.  Makes it snatchproof but that's about all.

Thanks for the information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

I emailed that suggestion to Segway N America some weeks ago.  No reply...

i think segway has a real opportunity to make some amazing things with this platform. and can leverage the name of Dean Kaman and his reputation.. but if they don't.. other companies will fill the void.. such as google or Apple.. I can see either of them creating personal robots and personal mobility device platforms using thier software.. implimenting the android watch or apple watch to connect to thier devices.. and opening up a market for app developers and after market accessies develoers etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they should have build it with expand ability in mind.. like with bolt holes along the frame of the body for attaching things.. in front and on top and in rear.. can you imagine had they built that in.. how many people would be clamoring to create accessories to attach to it.. and if they open up the firmware for development and the phone app for development.. it really will open up even more opportunities for people to collaborate on the developing on top of this platform.

5 hours ago, TLyleJeep said:

Thanks for the information.

can someone post a large high quality picture of the hole? all i could find is a referance to it in manual

 

kensington lock hole.PNG

Edited by Synap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×