mounting bicycle lock to MiniPro

The hole is at the location indicated.  When you remove the handle, you can see a corresponding hole on the handle attachment stub.  Well, not a hole, it's a slot.  The problem is that the kensington lock head cannot pass through both holes and then turn - the combined thickness of the handle metalwork and the attachment stub metalwork is too great.  So, if you gently and delicately use a drill to enlarge the inner slot - the one on the attachment stub revealed when you remove the steering bar - so that the T bar of the kensington lock can rotate within it - the enlargement should only be very slight, choose a drill the size of the lock T bar - then reassemble the steering bar onto the base - now the kensington lock can be attached to the bar without being blocked from turning by the inner slot (which is now a hole).  But when the kensington lock is in place, you can't remove the handle and steal the base, as the lock protrudes slightly through the inner hoie, thus preventing the steering bar from being slid off.

Segway say that the slot is designed for a "kensington clamp lock" not a normal kensington lock.  But nobody knows what a kensington clamp lock actually is.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

The hole is at the location indicated.  When you remove the handle, you can see a corresponding hole on the handle attachment stub.  Well, not a hole, it's a slot.  The problem is that the kensington lock head cannot pass through both holes and then turn - the combined thickness of the handle metalwork and the attachment stub metalwork is too great.  So, if you gently and delicately use a drill to enlarge the inner slot - the one on the attachment stub revealed when you remove the steering bar - so that the T bar of the kensington lock can rotate within it - the enlargement should only be very slight, choose a drill the size of the lock T bar - then reassemble the steering bar onto the base - now the kensington lock can be attached to the bar without being blocked from turning by the inner slot (which is now a hole).  But when the kensington lock is in place, you can't remove the handle and steal the base, as the lock protrudes slightly through the inner hoie, thus preventing the steering bar from being slid off.

Segway say that the slot is designed for a "kensington clamp lock" not a normal kensington lock.  But nobody knows what a kensington clamp lock actually is.

hopefully you can post pictures if you attempt the procedure and securing kensington lock to it.. so we can all see. Do you have a kensington lock? Are you interested in doing this procedure on your own minipro? 

I did it weeks ago.  I'll try to post pics but have sick dog problems at present taking all my time (so cannot even go out on the minipro!).  She is asleep at my feet at present while I post here...

Segway say this mod invalidates warranty, by the way.

little idea about lock

i have an idea but it's complicate for me explain in english it's always about the free holes i post in picture

me i pass a lock into the "handles" of my mini xiaomi

Why not change juste "handle who not are handle because broken if you wear the mini with only one hand after 2 month of use: whats happen for me, one was broken because i took the mini with left handle always, and inside is mix hard plastic with metal, hard plastic broke)

POIG5.jpg

t2.jpg

TETEPOIGN2.jpg

2 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

I did it weeks ago.  I'll try to post pics but have sick dog problems at present taking all my time (so cannot even go out on the minipro!).  She is asleep at my feet at present while I post here...

Segway say this mod invalidates warranty, by the way.

i think segway lowering the cost substantially is huge deal.. which i think they were pressured to do with the release of the (millions?) of cheap hover boards.. but as result.. and if they keep the price low.. it will put more of them out in socieity.. and if they can keep the quality control high on them.. and keep their high quality rep.. people will want to customise them and want acessories.. can u imagine if no one was making smart phone cases or cradles or after moraket cable and chargers and protection screens and all the other after market accessories for them? like wireless charging.. the audio port scanner.. the attachable microscope and telescope for android and iphones.. Segway and Ninebot either need to embrace the community.. or other companies will. like apple and google.. whom have established reputations to incorporate aftermarket and innovative accesories..

And they need to add handlebar accessory and seat accessroy options. or hook up with other  companies to produce these in a way that does not invalidate a warrantee against defects of workmanship.  if not.. they r killing thier potential market share, the disable commnity. i have many friends who have neuropathy and knee replacements etc.. who can't ride the minipro without handle bars and/or a seat.

On 6/27/2016 at 11:26 PM, Alex Markin said:

Hi guys, after i almost lost one of the decorative wheel blade on a bump i decided to make spare ones. 

There only one spare blade of each type (thick and thin) so, now,if you have a 3d-printer, you could print yourself any amount of these ))

It fits pretty fine and if you do not know - you should not notice much difference with original

ninebot3dprint.JPG

Most elegant lock is using a Kingston lock 

clicksafe model K64661ww or any clicksafe compatible lock 

and have The anchor lock custom made (longer) to fit in the original lock hole in the mini

the pin can be unscrewed and replaced with a longer one that will fit the mini.

image.jpeg

I use the laptop lock that I have at work.

On amazon, they sell the twin lock cable to secure both the computer and the monitor at the same time. We can use it to lock both the steering bar and the body but both have to be detached.

20160826_151945.jpg

36 minutes ago, tengtengvn said:

I use the laptop lock that I have at work.

On amazon, they sell the twin lock cable to secure both the computer and the monitor at the same time. We can use it to lock both the steering bar and the body but both have to be detached.

20160826_151945.jpg

What kind of deterrence are we talking about in this thread? It seems to me so far anything mentioned can easily be cut with bolt/wire cutters. This Defcon alarm lock may work well in Starbucks when you go to the restroom, but if the Segway is placed outside where there's not a lot of people around and out of your sight, then i can see the alarm easily being subdued audibly by a heavy hammer and then wire cut the wires. All of this wouldn't take more than a minute by a knowledgeable or determined thief with the proper equipment. 

I'm still looking for a way to truly secure the Segway when I'm not around -- e.g. going into a Movie theater to watch a movie for 2 hrs. 

On 8/17/2016 at 11:00 PM, TLyleJeep said:

The Yeti lock is very similar to what I have. I have the Master Lock 8417D Python adjustable locking cable which would work very well with some type of loop on the bottom of the minipro deck.

master.jpg

Easily cut with bolt/wire cutters. Not secure at all. 

The cable is Kevlar reinforced but I don't think I have the confident to leave $800 bucks on the side walk with a cable lock for 2 hrs. People do that to their bikes and they lose the bike all the time. Just go to the flea market on the weekend, it's easy to pick up a high end bike for $400 to $1000 bucks. My friend lost 2 bikes even with good thick chain lock.

40 minutes ago, tengtengvn said:

The cable is Kevlar reinforced but I don't think I have the confident to leave $800 bucks on the side walk with a cable lock for 2 hrs. People do that to their bikes and they lose the bike all the time. Just go to the flea market on the weekend, it's easy to pick up a high end bike for $400 to $1000 bucks. My friend lost 2 bikes even with good thick chain lock.

Exactly. I was going to use some mediocre cable and Master lock to lock my Mini Pro until my serious cyclist friend told me that there's no way he'd use any cable/chain to lock up his bike out of sight. There are always people with the equipment to cut through any kind of cables or chains and they will steal the bikes. It's only a matter of time when they'll target Mini Pros as well. He'll only use a lock/chain when he can physically see the bike. 

1 hour ago, tengtengvn said:

me too.. It's not worth losing a bike. I also recommend putting a cover over the bike and the lock cable or chanin or ulick mechanism.. as to make further steps to know what kind of security is  there and even what type of device it is.. I think many people won't take the step to pull the cover..b ecuase that would incriminate them as a theif.

I have TNF base camp but it's too big and too expensive to leave around.

I bought this ebay cover last night. I will measure it and send the sizing to my native country and have the a backpack/duffel bag custom made to the right size with the straps. My target is to be able to disassemble the steering bar and put everything in the duffel bag to board the train/bus. Also, carrying it around this way doesn't attract much attention.

tmp_25410-Screenshot_20160826-200031261829602.png

3 hours ago, Synap said:

me too.. It's not worth losing a bike. I also recommend putting a cover over the bike and the lock cable or chanin or ulick mechanism.. as to make further steps to know what kind of security is  there and even what type of device it is.. I think many people won't take the step to pull the cover..b ecuase that would incriminate them as a theif.

That's good. I like that idea.

1 hour ago, tengtengvn said:

I bought this ebay cover last night. I will measure it and send the sizing to my native country and have the a backpack/duffel bag custom made to the right size with the straps. My target is to be able to disassemble the steering bar and put everything in the duffel bag to board the train/bus. Also, carrying it around this way doesn't attract much attention.

That's a pretty good idea for getting onto public transport. ;)

12 hours ago, tengtengvn said:

the kind of cover i was thinking is more like a drape over the entire thing which would hided or camflage the shape as well.. kinf o like a poncho.. and then with snaps or ring holes which can be clasped together.. 

2 hours ago, Synap said:

another possiblity is use one of these collapsable dog carrrier.. and put a warning sign like this on the outside of the carriar? and still lock to a pole or fense with cable? 

mMetUQ6eM7eAq-rfh-d2Y4w.jpg

dangerousdogs.jpg

lol. and put a tape recorder inside that plays a dog bark every 10 seconds or so. lol. 

not a bad idea

1 minute ago, Synap said:

haha.. nice find.

Now you just have to worry about "do-gooder" dog loving good Samaritans when passing who thinking you're inhumanely treating your dog by keeping it completely covered in a cage/bag. It just takes one to call the police or animal control. ;) Imagine what the police will discover when opening the bag. :P No animal cruelty there! 

3 minutes ago, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

haha.. nice find.

Now you just have to worry about "do-gooder" dog loving good Samaritans when passing who thinking you're inhumanely treating your dog by keeping it completely covered in a cage/bag. It just takes one to call the police or animal control. ;) Imagine what the police will discover when opening the bag. :P No animal cruelty there! 

cud put a sign on it saying "will be back shortly. and leave a phone number to call??

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived