Kingsong KS-14C "dead"/freewheeling?

pst

Hey all,

I've been trying to resurrect a new-to-me-but-not-working KS-14C... have verified the fuses are intact, verified that 5v is going to the hall sensor and ~3.9ish volts coming back from each line periodically when it is moved, verified the battery voltage is "decent."  The headlight and battery meter come on, but there is no other indication it is functioning (no motor output, no connection on bluetooth, etc.).  Motor seems to be free, not shorted or open, generates a bit of power when moved so I assume the wiring is intact though I haven't tried manually powering the motor or checking transistor output without the motor attached.

Just curious if anyone had a few tests I might try and/or a schematic so I could perhaps narrow it to a finer level of granularity than "swap out the control board and pray."  I do not have any experience with this model's proper behavior so no suggestion is "too stupid."  Well, other than "is it turned on" and "is the battery charged" I guess. :)

Thanks for any ideas!

Now that I bought a 16s, I don't need the 840 Wh 14C. 

It's a good wheel, nothing wrong with it except a few scuffs. All of which were incurred when I was learning to ride backwards (I'm still learning!).

If you're interested, I can post some photos and you can make an offer.

So, sorta-good news... I found the issue with the 14C... got the control board out and noticed that the giant resistor on there was fried.  Also the capacitor is a bit damaged, not sure if it's related.

Replacing with a new control board and having the "button board" unpopulated results in the headlight lighting on one side, no taillight, the motor works fine as long as I hold the power button down, then immediately turns off.  Populating the board results in no light, no functionality.  It seems the lead to the photoresistor got crunched so I will apparently have to fix that, but would such a problem cause this behavior?

Does anyone know whether there is a source for schematics of the control board?  I guess since I have another one I can try reading the stripes off the resistor but would like to know the exact specs (wattage, etc.) of this resistor to attempt to repair the old control board.

Also, does anyone know how the switches work on that thing?  Is it proximity?  Or what?  Seems to be a real trick to get the side panel screwed on correctly.

@pst, you are a better man than most of us . Most are not brave enough to mess with the electronics on the CB. I have a couple of spare CBs from Ks14c, which may not be fully functional, but if you need some parts from the board I might be able to help

• 10 months later...

Hi guys... just resurrecting this thread as I got distracted and never fully fixed this issue.  If anyone has some spare control boards - working or not - or  I/O boards (with the "spring" antennas and photoresistor), and/or schematics, I would appreciate it!

Or else maybe this will be the one I use as a donor for my "new control board to fix all the stupid things China does with control boards" project, haha.  But you know the old saying, change only one variable at a time.  So would like to get it working confidently before I start mucking around.

Thanks for any leads!!

Archived