Two wheels to one

Ash

I've been using an Airwheel Q3 for the last year or so. Having proved its usefulness, I've pulled the trigger on an upgrade and just bought a Gotway ACM.

Has anyone made the transition from the two (close together wheels) to one and do they have any tips?

Mounting it and going slow is going be more difficult but once you get some speed, you'll be fine. I can't think of any unique tips, going from a 2-wheel EUC to a normal EUC. The learning curve should def be less steep for you than someone without any experience but the same  tips mention on this forum for newbies would apply.  I'm more concerned that you're going from an 10 mph unicycle to a 25 mph EUC. Wear a helmet and wrist guards at a minimum.

I'm going to answer my own question now having had the ACM for a few days...

It was actually a lot easier than I thought. As was pointed out by @logos122, mounting it was the most difficult things to grasp. It's still a bit shaky but once you're in motion, it's mostly very natural.

Turning was a little different with the single wheel. Previous, when straightening out, I used to feel for when the second wheel made contact with the ground again and continue onwards. You obviously don't get that sensation with the single wheel.

The most profound difference I've felt though was overall stability. Having two wheels meant that you were constantly fighting against bumps on the ground that wanted to throw you either left or right. Riding up shallow kerbs was challenging if you did it at anything other than a clean, perpendicular angle. All of this has disappeared with a single wheel.

And the ACM - what a machine! If I hadn't bought my first house this year, it would be the best purchase I've made!

5 hours ago, Ash said:

The most profound difference I've felt though was overall stability. Having two wheels meant that you were constantly fighting against bumps on the ground that wanted to throw you either left or right. Riding up shallow kerbs was challenging if you did it at anything other than a clean, perpendicular angle. All of this has disappeared with a single wheel.

I'm glad your transition went well.  I found your comments interesting about 2 wheel (EUCs). I always assumed they were easier, but I was surprised to hear what you said.  Makes sense, when you think about it.  A bit like Segway type problems. 

Archived