Why Segway failed?

Citi Wheel

23 hours ago, hyiu00 said:

Yes, if it is legal then it does not matter.  But just for those that are still not, I think it is a concern.  For me I just feel not safe to ride on something that I do not have full visibility of.  I think if I am in a hurry, and my wheel has on 10% juice and I have to go up a hill.  It should tell me whether it is safe to do so, I should not be the one to decide.

I understand the problem and AFAICS tilt back solves this problem to the most part (though in effect not much differently from "feeling sluggish"). On the other hand, it seems rather inevitable that in some cases you are the only one to make vital decisions. If you don't turn on the wheel, you will faceplant if you expect the wheel to accelerate firmly. Same, if you turn on the wheel when it is on 2% battery and ignore the warnings. Reasonably designed wheels warn you if you are on 10% battery and try to accelerate. In fact, at 10% most (all?) wheels are already deep in the limping mode.

It is hard to imagine that we will ever have EUCs that you cannot outlean or fall off from. This is not so different from any other vehicle, if you don't drive properly you can and will crash.

6 hours ago, MoNo said:

I understand the problem and AFAICS tilt back solves this problem to the most part (though in effect not much differently from "feeling sluggish"). On the other hand, it seems rather inevitable that in some cases you are the only one to make vital decisions. If you don't turn on the wheel, you will faceplant if you expect the wheel to accelerate firmly. Same, if you turn on the wheel when it is on 2% battery and ignore the warnings. Reasonably designed wheels warn you if you are on 10% battery and try to accelerate. In fact, at 10% most wheels are already deep in the limping mode.

It is hard to imagine that we will ever have EUCs that you cannot outlean or fall off from. This is not so different from any other vehicle, if you don't drive properly you can and will crash.

If it tilt back and give you a warning to allow time to get off, it is of course fine, but where does the wheel get the power for the tilt back if the battery already die.  What I am worry is faceplant at "NO" warning.  The difficult part for the euc electronics is to be able to save the last "breath" to tilt back and warn you to get off.  The more difficult part is usually the last breath needs much more power than normal.  Yes, you can set the bar to 15%, or even 20% if you have a bigger battery, but the more difficult part is this bar will change with the age of the battery.  If the battery gets older, you will set the bar higher.  This I think should be decided by the euc manufacturer and not by the user.  But up to now, I do not see any euc manufacturer implements a scientifically proven battery model that can accurately predict the battery for the last breath.  What they do is just trying to maximize the advertise mileage of the euc.  This of course will catch more consumer attention in the first place but at the same time it will push the last breath towards zero.

39 minutes ago, hyiu00 said:

The difficult part for the euc electronics is to be able to save the last "breath" to tilt back and warn you to get off.

How do you know? What's wrong with measuring voltage (drop)?

13 minutes ago, MoNo said:

How do you know? What's wrong with measuring voltage (drop)?

If you assume the battery output resistance is linear then you might be right.  Still no scientific proof of anything appeared.  But I think the euc manufacturer now is just measuring the voltage only, not even the voltage drop (current) to infer the battery health.

3 minutes ago, hyiu00 said:

If you assume the battery output resistance is linear then you might be right.  Still no scientific proof of anything appeared.

Science works by repeated attempts of falsification, not by proof. "Scientific proof" is somewhat a contradiction in terms.

20 minutes ago, MoNo said:

Science works by repeated attempts of falsification, not by proof. "Scientific proof" is somewhat a contradiction in terms.

Well are there enough human guinea pigs test samples?  If not, it is better to use modeling and run simulation with it, but the modeling and simulation must be convincing to everyone.  I might not be using the right terms, but that is what I meant.

Archived