spikes2020

Hey I got an error or issue with my ips. It's not fully charged but should not be dead by any means. I got a ips 260 and after a short ride, maybe a mile it acts like the battery is dead.  The red light comes on and peddles raise. 

This thing should do 15 miles. The green light doesn't blink saying half battery... idk what's wrong,  any suggestions? 

The factory is in china, i think it would cost more to send it back and forth than just buy a new one...

It did it again today and i looked at the app on my phone and it said it still had 76% battery left? Could it be just over heating or something? I charge it and can ride it for about 2 of the 10 miles it's rated for. Then it starts doing this, but it knows the battery is not dead because it isn't flashing 2/3 battery yet...

Ok i didn't charge the unicycle and left it at 75% ish and rode it around. About 1 to 2 min and it was doing the low battery thing. I think one of the cells in the battery is dead. I tried contacting that ips guy and he didn't respond.

Anyone here know how to fix a dead cell in a battery cluster? There are more wires than i know what to do with and i'm an electrical engineer... I'd bet though if you could find the bad cell and swap it out, it'd be like new....

That's too bad that IPS didn't respond to you.  Did you buy it from a reseller?  Maybe they only take care of you if you buy directly from IPS, otherwise they expect the resellers to offer assistance.  Check out this thread where another person had some battery issues.

You have to find somewhere with the equipment to fix li-ion packs they aren't really easy enough for first time DIY. They have to remove all the cells, test them to find faulty ones then set them all to the same voltage so they can be rewired to the BMS with a special welder that doesn't damage the cells.  

On 12/08/2016 at 11:50 PM, spikes2020 said:

Hey I got an error or issue with my ips. It's not fully charged but should not be dead by any means. I got a ips 260 and after a short ride, maybe a mile it acts like the battery is dead.  The red light comes on and peddles raise. 

This thing should do 15 miles. The green light doesn't blink saying half battery... idk what's wrong,  any suggestions? 

Try to turn on with the charger connected as it may put the correct voltage. Will it behave with the same issue?

On 8/24/2016 at 2:18 AM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Try to turn on with the charger connected as it may put the correct voltage. Will it behave with the same issue?

It will run fine from 100% charge to 75% charge then it starts acting up... then i left it at 75% at my house to cool off for a day and tried it again and it didnt work, so i assume if its working from 100% to 75% but not after it has to be the battery.

Archived