Best Commuter Wheel Under 80 lbs (train, bike lane, road)

I've ridden my KS16x for years but recently my commute changed from a (one way) 5 mile bike lane journey to a 14 mile mixed environment adventure (wheel to train, lift wheel down stairs to platform and on train, wheel to work). I love the KS16x for its fast acceleration,  nimbleness and incredible portability and I've never felt out of control with it. That being said here's the situations that I encounter every time on my commute that make the ride frustrating (and sometimes dangerous).

• Sneaky potholes: Shaded areas with non obvious potholes are everywhere (especially with our shit bike lanes on the far right of the road). I've never fallen but I find myself constantly on edge. If I do hit a pothole the 16x is controlled enough that I won't fall but it's jarring, especially when there's also rough road right after. There's a lot of construction on these roads so I'm scared at some point I'll hit a bigger one and I WILL fall.
  • Bike lanes into merging traffic: We have some really badly designed bike lanes that occasionally are open to crossing traffic that enter the freeway. This one is actually dangerous because I've been cut off many times, way too close to me (and a lot of times the car that overtakes brakes and stops on the bike lane since the freeway entrance is busy). The 16x just doesn't have the power to stay at 30-35mph uphill for a few seconds in order for me to get out of the way.
  • Keeping up with traffic: There is a 3 mile stretch where I'm on the road and it's a 35mph speed limit. The 16x comfortably cruises around 28mph which might as well be a standstill when all other traffic is moving 35-37mph. This leads to the classic overtake then cut me off when making a right turn. Or with a bus partially blocking the right lane, cars pass me first, then marginally pass the bus (forcing me to brake and stop behind the bus) since I wasn't able to maintain "passing speed". Obviously yes the cars should give me the lane (it's the law) but we all know it's best to assume they won't.

With that in mind and the fact that I really don't want to drive, I was thinking of upgrading to a slightly faster wheel with suspension. Here are my top contenders

• Inmotion V11Y
    • Pros: Water resistant, proven design (reliable), ergonomics
    • Cons: Outdated suspension design (I rode my friends v11 and even coming from no suspension, I wasn't impressed), lighting not great for night city riding
  • King Song S22 pro
    • Pros: Excellent top speed (43mph)
    • Cons: Plagued by issues initially, expensive with new sliders and upgrades (2.8k), heavy (78lbs)
  • King Song S16 pro
    • Pros: Decent top speed, modern suspension, good lighting, portability
    • Cons: Meh everything, 16 inch wheel
  • Begode Blitz
    • Pros: Speed, build quality, lighting
    • Cons: Portability (weight + trolley handle), Price (3.2k yikes), 1st batch (someone in the reviews pointed shoddy cable management and flimsy side panels), too much headroom for my needs

I eliminated wheels that had a cruising speed below 33mph (falcon), no suspension, had questionable water resistance or were above 80lbs (max I can comfortably carry up stairs). Wheels that fit this description that I seriously considered but ultimately eliminated: Falcon, Hero, V12HS, Master, T4 pro.

Would love to hear what you guys think!

Edited by DuckDuckDucky

1 hour ago, DuckDuckDucky said:

I've ridden my KS16x for years but recently my commute changed from a (one way) 5 mile bike lane journey to a 14 mile mixed environment adventure (wheel to train, lift wheel down stairs to platform and on train, wheel to work). I love the KS16x for its fast acceleration,  nimbleness and incredible portability and I've never felt out of control with it. That being said here's the situations that I encounter every time on my commute that make the ride frustrating (and sometimes dangerous).

• Sneaky potholes: Shaded areas with non obvious potholes are everywhere (especially with our shit bike lanes on the far right of the road). I've never fallen but I find myself constantly on edge. If I do hit a pothole the 16x is controlled enough that I won't fall but it's jarring, especially when there's also rough road right after. There's a lot of construction on these roads so I'm scared at some point I'll hit a bigger one and I WILL fall.
  • Bike lanes into merging traffic: We have some really badly designed bike lanes that occasionally are open to crossing traffic that enter the freeway. This one is actually dangerous because I've been cut off many times, way too close to me (and a lot of times the car that overtakes brakes and stops on the bike lane since the freeway entrance is busy). The 16x just doesn't have the power to stay at 30-35mph uphill for a few seconds in order for me to get out of the way.
  • Keeping up with traffic: There is a 3 mile stretch where I'm on the road and it's a 35mph speed limit. The 16x comfortably cruises around 28mph which might as well be a standstill when all other traffic is moving 35-37mph. This leads to the classic overtake then cut me off when making a right turn. Or with a bus partially blocking the right lane, cars pass me first, then marginally pass the bus (forcing me to brake and stop behind the bus) since I wasn't able to maintain "passing speed". Obviously yes the cars should give me the lane (it's the law) but we all know it's best to assume they won't.

With that in mind and the fact that I really don't want to drive, I was thinking of upgrading to a slightly faster wheel with suspension. Here are my top contenders

• Inmotion V11Y
    • Pros: Water resistant, proven design (reliable), ergonomics
    • Cons: Outdated suspension design (I rode my friends v11 and even coming from no suspension, I wasn't impressed), lighting not great for night city riding
  • King Song S22 pro
    • Pros: Excellent top speed (43mph)
    • Cons: Plagued by issues initially, expensive with new sliders and upgrades (2.8k), heavy (78lbs)
  • King Song S16 pro
    • Pros: Decent top speed, modern suspension, good lighting, portability
    • Cons: Meh everything, 16 inch wheel
  • Begode Blitz
    • Pros: Speed, build quality, lighting
    • Cons: Portability (weight + trolley handle), Price (3.2k yikes), 1st batch (someone in the reviews pointed shoddy cable management and flimsy side panels), too much headroom for my needs

I eliminated wheels that had a cruising speed below 33mph (falcon), no suspension, had questionable water resistance or were above 80lbs (max I can comfortably carry up stairs). Wheels that fit this description that I seriously considered: Falcon, Hero, V12HS, Master, T4 pro.

Would love to hear what you guys think!

S16 Pro is good for this use and can even do decent offroad. I would avoid the Falcon right now (fragile, wait for V3).

I have an old (and, I know, flawed) KingSong S18, very happy with it and complementary to my Master and Commander Pro. I am intrigued and would love to try the new S18 PRO 50S version... it might be a very good choice for commuting  https://oneride.eu/en/kingsong/1285-kingsong-s18-pro-50s-cells-electric-unicycle.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9eO3BhBNEiwAoc0-jfJX6j_lKgTM5u49KvGc2bVRkUo_FY7eWVez3OLY0uPkw-uTlg8CmBoChYwQAvD_BwE

Good trolley, +++ lightweight, reliable high discharge cells and good spiked pedals for the newest PRO version, decent autonomy for commuting, decent speed (but top speed not enough for you use ?), sufficient motor power, nimble (in particular with dedicated ClarkPads), solid (versus Falcon), and not bad for light offroading. And CHEAP. Is there any other thing out there proposing such a lightweight package right now ? I did not see any serious review though.

S16pro offers much more than the S18 for sure, and for a pricetag comparable and better water resistance. But too heavy for me.

Obviously, Lynx, Blitz, late-generation wheels like ShermanS, offer much more...but are heavy as hell in stairs and trains, and are not single-purposed commuting wheels.

Edited by Janus

Thanks for the response @Janus unfortunately the S18 is both an older suspension design and also hits the same top speed as my currently owned 16x so this isn't a solid enough proposition. I did not consider the falcon as part of my list due to the top speed as well.

Even though the blitz has similar performance characteristics as the other wheels you mentioned it's by far the lightest. Lynx (88lbs), Sherman S (96lbs), Blitz (78lbs). But I agree it's probably overkill for my purposes.

I have owned the S22 Pro for nearly two years. Mine has the 40T cells from eWheels. Previously, I rode smaller wheels, with the Z10 being the largest, until I purchased the S22P. The weight and width take some getting used to, but after a couple months of frequent riding and a few mods (see below), the wheel is easy to handle and ride.  Compared to other wheels in its class, it's still a good value, given that the price has dropped $400. eWheels is now selling the same wheel (40T) I purchased with the latest motor and bearings for $2799. If you can find the same wheel with the same upgrades AND 50s batteries for the same or lower price, it would be a good/better deal. You will need to install your own pads and backplate, as well as some foam (or small Begode pads as I have done) at the top of the battery box to eliminate the square edge from bruising your legs. Also, flip the pedals around and adjust the tilt 1-2 degrees.

The S22 and Pro have been around a while - they are well-covered, and most all issues have been documented and addressed. It's an easy wheel to work on if you are extremely cautious about removing the motor and small suspension bolts to avoid rounding out the heads. After a couple thousand miles, my only issue was the bearings that started knocking after a year. eWheels offered to replace the bearings with the latest SK version in the new motor, but I chose to replace my 3rd-gen motor with the latest that has the new bearing and a hardened steel hub, supposedly. My sliders are in good shape and only needed a cleaning and fresh graphite lube. During disassembly, I also rounded out a couple of motor bolts and snapped a long suspension bolt that required a trip to the local motorcycle shop to remove.

If you plan to ride up to 40mph, I would install the Michelin City Pro 2 90/90-14 as I and others have.

I also find the Blitz very interesting but would never buy a first-gen Begode wheel :efee612b4b:

image.thumb.png.622bff911c90349ac443631dcd9ca9da.png

8 minutes ago, litewave said:

I have owned the S22 Pro for nearly two years. Mine has the 40T cells from eWheels. Previously, I rode smaller wheels, with the Z10 being the largest, until I purchased the S22P. The weight and width take some getting used to, but after a couple months of frequent riding and a few mods (see below), the wheel is easy to handle and ride.  Compared to other wheels in its class, it's still a good value, given that the price has dropped $400. eWheels is now selling the same wheel (40T) I purchased with the latest motor and bearings for $2799. If you can find the same wheel with the same upgrades AND 50s batteries for the same or lower price, it would be a good/better deal. You will need to install your own pads and backplate, as well as some foam (or small Begode pads as I have done) at the top of the battery box to eliminate the square edge from bruising your legs. Also, flip the pedals around and adjust the tilt 1-2 degrees.

The S22 and Pro have been around a while - they are well-covered, and most all issues have been documented and addressed. It's an easy wheel to work on if you are extremely cautious about removing the motor and small suspension bolts to avoid rounding out the heads. After a couple thousand miles, my only issue was the bearings that started knocking after a year. eWheels offered to replace the bearings with the latest SK version in the new motor, but I chose to replace my 3rd-gen motor with the latest that has the new bearing and a hardened steel hub, supposedly. My sliders are in good shape and only needed a cleaning and fresh graphite lube. During disassembly, I also rounded out a couple of motor bolts and snapped a long suspension bolt that required a trip to the local motorcycle shop to remove.

If you plan to ride up to 40mph, I would install the Michelin City Pro 2 90/90-14 as I and others have.

I also find the Blitz very interesting but would never buy a first-gen Begode wheel :efee612b4b:

image.thumb.png.622bff911c90349ac443631dcd9ca9da.png

Thanks the S22 is a serious contender. It just makes me wonder if I should wait a few months and pay the extra $400 to get the blitz if i'm going down that route.

18 minutes ago, DuckDuckDucky said:

Thanks the S22 is a serious contender. It just makes me wonder if I should wait a few months and pay the extra $400 to get the blitz if i'm going down that route.

The Blitz appears much more difficult to disassemble and more fragile. It's also a first-gen wheel.

Still, I do respect Begode's motors and controllers and am enticed by the Lynx-level performance. The S22 [Pro] isn't slow by any means, but if speed and acceleration are important to you, the Blitz may be worth the risk and price.

Edited by litewave

@DuckDuckDucky can we assume that’s 80lbs not kg?! If not the world is your oyster! 😂

The Patton is slightly over your weight limit, but honestly the extra few pounds are worth the trade off. The s22 is not a bad wheel as long as you’re fine with upgrading your suspension and like to work on your wheels. Most people I know with them are constantly messing around with them. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

@Hellkitteni need to draw the line somewhere! I've tried lifting my friends commander mini and I feel like I'm going to develop wrist problems getting anything near 90 lbs up and down train stairs everyday.

Also I don't have the time or conviction to jump into working on the wheel. I just need something that works and only needs tire/tube changes (and maybe some grease/suspension maintenance) not a project wheel.

• Like 1

• DuckDuckDucky changed the title to Best Commuter Wheel Under 80 lbs (train, bike lane, road)
58 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

@DuckDuckDucky can we assume that’s 80lbs not kg?! If not the world is your oyster! 😂

The Patton is slightly over your weight limit, but honestly the extra few pounds are worth the trade off. The s22 is not a bad wheel as long as you’re fine with upgrading your suspension and like to work on your wheels. Most people I know with them are constantly messing around with them. 

I think your friends maybe have older S22s or 1st-gen Pro models? The S22 Pro (top model) that eWheels is selling has the latest Hou Ngning roller sliders, the latest motor, and the latest bearings.

My suspension is doing fine after 2000 miles. Before I even received my S22P, I purchased two extra coils (350 and 500) based on advice that others were giving on this site but discovered they were unnecessary and too weak for me (165lbs). In the end, the stock coil was just fine for my weight and riding style.

I do agree that the Patton is a nice wheel, as are the Extreme and V14 also. But the S22 Pro is a larger wheel at lower weight and has its own advantages as well.

Edited by litewave

35 minutes ago, litewave said:

think your friends maybe have older S22s or 1st-gen Pro models? The S22 Pro (top model) that eWheels is selling has the latest Hou Ngning roller sliders, the latest motor, and the latest bearings.

I believe that’s correct. All the riders I know went with the Ngnnng rollers and had to pin their motors. All of them swapped to 3rd party pads which needed faring extensions to properly mount the rear brake pads. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve ridden quite a few of my friends s22s, it’s a decent wheel. They just seem to require more amount of fiddling than I’d like to do. Perhaps the pro was more solid outta the gate. Leaperkim has also biased me to a degree as well…..

The Extreme is a decent contender as well. I think it should be added to your potential list as well. @DuckDuckDucky

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

If you're not looking to buy immediately, would just wait to see what @NOSFET Electric Dreams's product is.  I can only speculate that from rumored voltage and battery capacity, it feels like what they deem the market "needs" is a redesigned S20 with Linnea's part suppliers. We'll find out officially soon enough.  

But if you need something right away I don't think the S16P or T4 can sustain 34+mph comfortably especially in the latter half of the battery capacity. I'd vote a Blitz or Extreme before an S22P. 

1 hour ago, slippyfeet said:

If you're not looking to buy immediately, would just wait to see what @NOSFET Electric Dreams's product is.  I can only speculate that from rumored voltage and battery capacity, it feels like what they deem the market "needs" is a redesigned S20 with Linnea's part suppliers. We'll find out officially soon enough.  

But if you need something right away I don't think the S16P or T4 can sustain 34+mph comfortably especially in the latter half of the battery capacity. I'd vote a Blitz or Extreme before an S22P. 

My impression is that the S22 is a much easier wheel to maintain than either of the Begode wheels you mention.

Personally, I would also consider an Extreme 50S if discounted to $2500. But the Extreme is a heavy (86lbs) 16" wheel and is currently $2950 at eWheels.

As for waiting for the perfect wheel, life is too short to wait forever.

• Like 1

Thank you all, I really appreciate your input. I'm leaning towards Blitz and S16 pro. Probably the latter since I've never heard of first batch EUCs ever being great. Maybe next year if I get a promotion I will upgrade again :)

• Like 1

I am in the similar situation like you, and I believe a lot of others as well... 

I ride 90% of time in city in various road conditions. For a last 2,5 years I ride my trusty msx 84V. I had for a brief time opportunity to ride S16pro and really wanted to sell msx, but no one wanted it. From my experience, S16pro has much more high (45+ kmh) speed stability and acceleration. S16 is a nimble wheel and has much to offer for the money. 

MSX is more fun, more zippy, better breaking, and better range... with 10kg less than S16, which are (next to the fact that I had imidiate buyer :)) reasons I decided to sell S16. 

I also tried V14 briefly, and it felt similar like S16 with low speed ride, but it is much more powerfull, heavier and can go faster!

18xl V2 at the moment, is a only new wheel which tick the most boxes for me. 

• Like 2

@Chaky The msx is a great wheel and it sounds like it's perfect for your use case. A few thoughts (based on my situation):

• You'll find it hard to sell your msx for a decent price for a reason. Suspension is a game changer for safety and pushing limits. Even when I tried the V11's anemic suspension I was able to maintain speed over crappy roads and felt a lot safer recovering after potholes. If you eventually want to sell your msx you'll have to go down in price and be patient. Otherwise sounds like it's perfect for you and you don't need to upgrade.
  • "Fun" is subjective but I totally see how a non suspension wheel can be similar to a hardtail for mountain bikes. You feel the road more and are more connected. For some people that is more fun. Personally, "fun" for me means going at a decent speed from home to work with a large safety margin so I can happily carve in peace when the traffic is light and the road opens up. Although fun is only part of my calculation since it's not only a toy but mode of transport for me. (Which is why I waterproofed my 16x)
  • The v14 is 86lbs so a no go for my use case of mixed public transportation and the 18xl v2 has no suspension.

Thank you for responding and sharing your experience.

• Like 1

S22 your best bet out of that list.

Or go buy Lynx. Yup it's more expensive - but well worth it. Especially if you don't plan of buying new wheel after year or two.. Buy it - you know you want to... :D What's extra 1-2k$.. Over 2-5 years of use..  Nothing.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chaky said:

MSX is more fun, more zippy, better breaking, and better range... with 10kg less than S16, which are (next to the fact that I had imidiate buyer :)) reasons I decided to sell S16. 

I agree : old begode wheels are awesome ! EX.n can deal easily with cars and I turned them mad by carving/warming up my tire by following them :efef8189d7:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1