New Inmotion V8s, shipping damage

Sami

Just received my new Inmotion V8s and was disappointed to see a crack under the handle, as well as a stuck and apparently broken anti-spin button (see pic). I contacted Inmotion and they told me they'll send me out a replacement part for the handle, but it seems to me that thecrack.jpg problems can't be fixed easily and will necessitate my tearing down the wheel. Is this the case? How would you handle this situation if you were in my shoes? Obviously I'm bummed that I have a defective unit, but I'm also worried that this isn't going to be an easy fix if they send me the replacement parts. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear it. It isn't a great start obviously.

However, riding wheels sooner or later results in cracks. Especially if you're new to it.

So maybe just push that back in, which should restore the lift switch functionality, and start riding. Swap the plastic piece at the next tire swap perhaps.

Unless it's easy for you to ship the wheel and it only takes a few days to get it replaced.

I have a V8 that's done 14000km without damage to neither motor or battery. I also have a V8 with only 4000km with a bad motor and a bad battery. 

Meaning, if the motor rides perfect and the battery charges to 84.0v every time. You could in fact be better off with the crack than another one. :D

8 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

However, riding wheels sooner or later results in cracks. Especially if you're new to it.

So maybe just push that back in, which should restore the lift switch functionality, and start riding. Swap the plastic piece at the next tire swap perhaps.

Unless it's easy for you to ship the wheel and it only takes a few days to get it replaced.

Unfortunately when I push it back in it just comes out again as in the photo, and the lift switch is unaffected by this maneuver.

8 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Oh, how unfortunate.

You know what's really odd. How can the wheel crack there from shipping damage?

Maybe it's a plastic moulding issue. 

It is a bit complicated to swap that part out because I believe it's one of the inner shell halves.

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Oh, how unfortunate.

You know what's really odd. How can the wheel crack there from shipping damage?

I know it's kind of an odd place for a crack. The anti spin button doesn't budge at all from its slanted position. The package didn't look particularly damaged. Customer service at Inmotion suggested shipping damage but perhaps it is a manufacturing issue, I don't know.

7 hours ago, Sami said:

From the Inmotion store here

Well that's unfortunate that they aren't just sending a new wheel. It was obviously damaged during shipping. I don't have any experience working on the v8 model and by the looks of this disassembly video it doesn't look very fun. If it were me, i would Insist on a new wheel and a shipping label to send that one back.

If you decide to tackle it yourself , this video does a decent job of explaining how to take it apart.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:54 AM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Well that's unfortunate that they aren't just sending a new wheel. It was obviously damaged during shipping. I don't have any experience working on the v8 model and by the looks of this disassembly video it doesn't look very fun. If it were me, i would Insist on a new wheel and a shipping label to send that one back.

If you decide to tackle it yourself , this video does a decent job of explaining how to take it apart.

So this video really intimidated me and I told Inmotionworld that I wasn't comfortable fixing it myself. They said in this case they'll send me the parts and I can take it to one of their service centers, the closest being in New York (I'm in Washington, DC, a 5 hour drive away). They also said if the service centers are too far I can take it to any repair shop, tell them the cost, and they'll reimburse. So I agreed to this, I thought this was fair. Anyone know any EUC repair shops in the DC area?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sami said:

So this video really intimidated me and I told Inmotionworld that I wasn't comfortable fixing it myself. They said in this case they'll send me the parts and I can take it to one of their service centers, the closest being in New York (I'm in Washington, DC, a 5 hour drive away). They also said if the service centers are too far I can take it to any repair shop, tell them the cost, and they'll reimburse. So I agreed to this, I thought this was fair. Anyone know any EUC repair shops in the DC area?

You could try Declan Kurant, declankurant at aol.com, located at zip 20910, or Chip Gribben/ElectroScooterWorks, chipgribben at verizon.net, zip 20707

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1