How'd I do for first time equipment?

I've just upgraded to a Begode EXN. I wanted to get some starter gear and did some research.

I purchased:

LS2 Helmets Rapid II that is DOT and ECE22.06 Rated. ($100)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPB2MB18

Motorcycle Jacket with CE2 Armor w/ CE1 Back Protector ($80).
(I didn't realize until just now that the back was CE1 instead of CE2) :efee96588e:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WQLRYGK

My logic was to find the cheapest gear with protection ratings. I'd never bought gear before and was hesitant to spend a lot of money knowing how much I would use it and if it would even fit.

What are your thoughts? I'm content with my purchase but I assume there is other gear I should be looking into.

As I see it, the order of importance is: wrist guards (absolutely) >>> full face helmet (yea, not much to discuss here) > knee pads (pretty good idea) > everything else (optional/depending on personal views/depends on specific type of riding).

Just picture how you would fall on a EUC to get an idea on what is important. You fall forward and would hit with the hands and then also the knees (if the fall is comparably slow) or the face (if it comes rapidly for some reason and you can't lift your hands in time).

So wrist guards absolutely, and knee pads are probably something you don't want to ever regret not wearing as well if (don't ask me how I know;)).

The helmet is great . The jacket, too. Don't worry about that jacket rating, I don't know of a single back injury from EUCs. That's just not like you would fall.

A motorcycle jacket is nice, though, mainly to feel good about the danger of road rash in a crash. It might be the difference between "nothing happened to me" and "nothing dangerous happened, but ouch". Also acts as a kind of elbow guard (which some might want), just easier to put on and off. If you're wearing more than a shirt, that more might as well be a proper protective jacket like yours.

-

As for the wrist guards and knee pads: any cheap versions will do, so it's not like you must pay a lot here (pretty sure this applies to all safety gear - having something is 90% of the deal). I would say better ones are mainly for comfort when wearing them, unless you plan on some extreme riding.

The point of wrist guards is to slide, not stop you and move that all that energy into your body (hands, shoulders) - so they should have hard plastic sliding plates.

The point of knee pads is to cushion the initial impact, but more importantly not slide off your knee then, so they slide on the ground while your knees are safe from abrasion.

• Like 1