Extreme refuses to charge with Pidzoom

ursi

I have a Pidzoom fast charger that I use on my V13 and 16X with no issues. However, when I try to charge my extreme with it, it gets rejected by the wheel and refuses to draw any current. I have tried varying the voltages and it has not worked. The wheel charges just fine with its stock charger. Any idea what could be causing this?

The voltage isn't that important when testing, as long as it's above the battery voltage. The current however can trigger a cutoff.

Try lowering theb current to a few amps. 3A for example. Then raise it little by little until it gets cut off again.

Another reason could be that the cable has a problem. Maybe the pinout is wrong for that wheel or a pin has been disconnected.

Just because a connector fits doesn't mean it must be ok to charge. Has that charger ever worked with that wheel before?

my guess is that the connector's pinout is incorrect. Try testing it by turning on the charger, setting it to your preferred voltage, then use a multimeter to test the output voltage and what pins you got it from. I *think* the extreme uses pins 1 and 4 for output.

Edited by WheelGoodTime

Some "psu chargers" have zero output when not connected to the wheel (unable to wake up Begode/EB wheels to start charging them since the charging ports are no longer live)
Newer chargers emit a small amount of current at all times to overcome this problem

Try give it a little bit of amps like 2 amps before plugging it in, if that doesn't work, you'll either have to use the bypass mode on the distribution board or use another type of charger

Edit https://youtu.be/8Lil0_zFlfA

Edited by Bizra6ot

19 hours ago, ursi said:

I have a Pidzoom fast charger that I use on my V13 and 16X with no issues. However, when I try to charge my extreme with it, it gets rejected by the wheel and refuses to draw any current. I have tried varying the voltages and it has not worked. The wheel charges just fine with its stock charger. Any idea what could be causing this?

open the connentor and check the pin-out, some chargers use only 2 pin for output while others use all 4 pins (like stock extreme charger)

Remember 134v pin out is 1+ 2+ 3- 4-

for example if you charger use only 1+ and 4- Extreme will not start charging, best setting is to use all the pins;)

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 6:50 AM, Bizra6ot said:

Try give it a little bit of amps like 2 amps before plugging it in

This worked! however, after charging my wheel to "full" with only 6 amps, the cells became very unbalanced, so it seems this thing can't handle the fast charger anyway.

Edited by ursi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

What do you mean by this? I have the same issue on my Mini with the NingNing charger

It's a bit like the adapters you plug into EV charging stations, some cheap ones are passive they don't send any signal so it doesn't start the charging process
Here, if the distribution board doesn't receive a minimum amperage it doesn't trigger the charge (but some chargers don't allow you to set the amperage before being connected to the wheel...)
If you ask Hou Ning, he'll tell you to use the bypass method there are some FB posts abt it

Edit link https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/posts/7477557172342181/

Hou Ningning
Modifying the BEGODE charging pad would solve the problem
Aucune description de photo disponible.

Edited by Bizra6ot

On 9/3/2024 at 2:53 PM, Frolic0415 said:

What do you mean by this? I have the same issue on my Mini with the NingNing charger

The bms in your wheel has overcurrent charging protection but it works by disabling charging if it goes too high.

That's why you need to limit the current on the charger side because the batteries will take as much as they can which will be dangerous for cables and cells.

Until the current is set low enough to avoid triggering the protection, you'll see no current. 

It might take a while after tripping the protection for the pack to be able to take current again. That's why it isn't so straightforward as to dial it down incrementally.

You need to disconnect the charger. Dial it down by a lot and try again after a few seconds/a minute. 

If it works then you can try to increase slowly until it cuts out or until you've reached what's considered safe for the charge port and its cables. When it cuts out you need to remeber where you were at that moment and set it to just below that. Bingo. That's the max for that particular wheel.