Initial Setup? Suspension? Battery Balancing?

Hi all,

Today I received my first-ever EUC! The KingSong S16 Pro and I HAVE QUESTIONS! But first, observations!

1. HOLY SHIT this thing weighs so much more than I expected it to!
2. This is a 16" wheel and it's preeeeeeeeeetty big IMO - I can't even begin to imagine a 20" wheel o___o

OK - time for questions!

1) The suspension - it seems to be set up already (it rebounds out of the box). I was expecting to have to pump it with air. Is this not the case with this wheel?
2) Battery Balancing - I remember reading somewhere balancing the batteries is important to maximize them. So, how do I do that exactly?
3) EUC World App vs KingSong App. EUC World App seems pretty popular, but can I set up the wheel with this app? Also, can I download firmware with it or must I use the KingSong App for this? 
4) Where can I find out what the latest firmware is so I know I have that latest firmware?
5) BMS - do I need to use the KingSong App for this or can the EUC World App handle this as well?
6) [Insert questions I don't know I need to ask here]

Thank you in advance for all your help - I've managed to get it out of the box and do my initial inspection (looks undamaged and the rim looks good)

Edited by linzeestomp
forgot a point
  • Like 2

you're all excited, breathe, have fun getting used to your new wheel, don't be like me and just jump on and expect to zoom, find a hallway where you can use your arms to keep you stable against the walls while you learn to balance

I think the general people mostly suggest charging all the way the first time and then letting it sit for a couple hours to balance, then ride it down to like 60% , I usually charge my wheels when they deplete down to 60%-70% because it's safer and more fun with fully charged batteries.

King Song firmware has always worked perfectly for me. I have never had suspension before, so maybe @techyiam could teach you about your new suspension. I'm happy for you, take care and control.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, linzeestomp said:

1. HOLY SHIT this thing weighs so much more than I expected it to!

Haha, everyone thinks that when they lift out their first wheel from the box. This is real. It begins. May the Gods have mercy on your shins.

11 hours ago, linzeestomp said:

2) Battery Balancing - I remember reading somewhere balancing the batteries is important to maximize them. So, how do I do that exactly?

The most important thing about batteries is not worrying too much about them.

For balancing, charge to full and keep the charger in for a few hours after that (or really as long as you want). Do that once in a while and you(r batteries) will be good. You should do that now anyways, to check that the batteries do charge to the full voltage (84V or close to that number) out of the box.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

if yur plan on sharing bike lanes,  you should get a warning device like an electronic horn or bicycle bell so that you can let others around you know you are there sharing the lane with them.  too many times i have seen riders pass other riders silently and they end up startling someone or surprising some one.  this could cause an accident.... i use a very loud bicycle bell mounted on a holder that also acts as a flashlight mount as well... as of late, there is this pidzoom horn that seems to work quite well and has a small selection of different horn sounds...

Assuming the battery balancing is the same as my 18XL, KingSong states to leave the stock charger connected for 2 to 3 hours after its LED turns green. However if you monitor the charge using KingSong app, you can disconnect the charger once the pack is balanced and the EUC stops balancing. When balancing starts, you should see displayed current at 0.00 amps most of the time, with short pulses of current at about 0.25 amps about every 5 seconds. This results in an average current that is less than the current bled off by the balancing resistors, which prevents a cell group from reaching over-voltage while the pack balances. Once the pack is balanced, the EUC shuts off all charging, the short pulses of current no longer occur, with the app only showing a continuous current of 0.00 amps, and voltage will slowly decrease. You can disconnect the charger when this happens.

I use an eWheels rapid charger but it goes into standby and shuts off once current drops below 0.3 amps, so it can't be used for balancing. I use the eWheels rapid charger to get voltage up to 90% (82 volts on my 18XL), then switch to the stock charger to complete the charge and balance the battery pack.

Edited by rcgldr

On 8/20/2024 at 3:36 AM, Robse said:

0. Get yourself some proper gear.  Full face helmet.  Not TSG toy helmet...

Ya, I've seen those TSG / Predator helmets - not my cup of tea. I have a motorcycle helmet and a dirt bike helmet I use currently depending on if I am using my Segway or Obarter. I already have knee/shin guards, hip/thigh protection, and just ordered some upper-body protection today.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 7:59 AM, bpong said:

if yur plan on sharing bike lanes,  you should get a warning device like an electronic horn or bicycle bell so that you can let others around you know you are there sharing the lane with them.  too many times i have seen riders pass other riders silently and they end up startling someone or surprising some one.  this could cause an accident.... i use a very loud bicycle bell mounted on a holder that also acts as a flashlight mount as well... as of late, there is this pidzoom horn that seems to work quite well and has a small selection of different horn sounds...

Can you show me where you got that combo? It sounds perfect!

16 hours ago, linzeestomp said:

linzeestomp,

how good are you with hand tools ?

loud bell:       https://www.ucycle.com/crane-big-bell-with-side-striker.html

just look for this model of bicycle bell at your local bike shops... im sure they can order it too.  what i basically did was build a contraption out of some small wood stock.  it holds my flashlight on one part,  and the bell is mounted on it somewhere else.  when i ride,  i hold this device in my left hand and im always ready with my right hand to strike the bell whenever needed.  its very loud and travels pretty far ahead of me.

a better way of mounting this bell would be to put it atop a wrist guard.  that way,  you dont need to hold on to it like i do currently.  so, you would have to design a mount for the bell that can also sit atop of one of your wrist guards.  this should be the side that is not your preferred hand.  so if you are right handed,  you would mount the bell on your left wrist guard.   the base of the bell mount would have some pre-drilled holes at each corner so that it can be sewn into the top of the wrist guard.

image.png.4227e9e82b2abdec86e565d86c56ac85.png

the diagram shown above is way big.  actual size would be probably 2.5 inch wide, 3 inch long (base) or whatever you feel will work well.  you would use a sewing kit like this to sew it onto leather or thick fabric:

https://www.speedystitcher.com/#the-basics

this sewing awl is excellent and i have used it to add molle strips to my riding backpack and have made a molle belt as well to carry other things.  it can be purchased at most well stocked outdoor stores or you can order it online.  since its mounted atop your wrist guard,  you dont have to hold on to it so both hands are free.  i may make this myself and mount it to the top of my left hand leather glove !

thats all there is to it.  if you ride with a flashlight, your flashlight hand remains free to hold it, or you can add an extra mount on the bell mount to hold the flashlight as well...

an alternative to all of the above:     https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-alw-01-wrist-flashlight-holder?srsltid=AfmBOorVtrBSIO79D6H2uVinlKlfIwimvZoMKQEeDWHBy_mOUyhWNwN0

this is already made to hold a flashlight (and fenix is a reliable brand).  you simply add the bell mount (sew it into the band) and both hands are now free, and your flashlight and bell are mounted on your wrist !!!

Edited by bpong
add more info...

18 hours ago, linzeestomp said:

Dawn Champion uses a modded (she changed the small strap) finger button for her "bell" (it's a chirping sound), hooked up to her right glove, along with a light and Garmin watch (GPS speed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6t7_J_VmA

The link in video to the horn is broken. It appears to be Night Provision Ziren 140dB High-Traffic Bike Horn & LED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehI-4S9myRg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPNCCY96/

Edited by rcgldr