New Rider, New wheel? Which one to get?

Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone,

I will be a new rider, budget is not a constraint, I weight 93kg (210lbs), 5'11, consider myself fit, and looking for my first wheel that I will keep as long as possible. Looking for something I can commute with (roughly 15km/day) and also enjoy during the weekend (I live in Seattle so there might be rain and hills involved :)). Not looking to do stunts (sidewalk/stairs will likely be the maximum), more something I can start with and also enjoy once I am a more advanced rider. It would be mostly for streets (80%) and the rest would be small trails between streets (20%). 40mph - 50mph speed max seems like it'll be plenty for me. I wouldn't need to put it on local transportation (bus or else) or walk with it more than 200m. After looking at what could fit, seems like the KingSong S16 (pro?) or Inmotion 14 Black would work? Anything else I should consider? I also see the Begode Master V4.. What would be your best recommendation? 

Appreciate the advice!

Edited by vainsoul
added more details and fixed typos
  • Like 1

get a good used inmotion V8 for next to nothing and learn how to ride it.  after 1 season or less, you can sell it and go to a larger performance euc.  i only say larger performance euc cause you said you want to keep it for while.  i was riding a tesla V2 for 5 seasons, and only recently started learning how to ride my new lynx.  you are probably a taller and heavier person than myself (im 5'4",  and only 155lbs, 170 with gear) so getting something like a lynx or ET Max would be good for your daily use and exploration trips.  just remember lynx, ET Max and any other large performance eucs are not just for racing,  you can use them any way you want.  i like my lynx cause i can sit on it quite easily and im learning how to ride seated on it as well...

you get a beater euc for your first season of riding to get the drops, dings and falls out of the way.  once you get acclimatized to riding an euc,  you can confidently move up to a larger euc with more range and power.  and hopefully, you wont ding it up as much either...

take care and safe riding !!!

Posted (edited)

Thanks bpong! I am taller (5'11) indeed and ideally I'd like to skip having to buy and sell one but I definitely hear your point. I'd love to just get one that is enjoyable for beginner and advanced riders and be done for multiple seasons. I understand that that would mean potentially more scratches on a more expensive EUC. The Lynx and ET Max looks awesome but you are right, I don't believe they would be beginner friendly, they might also be a bit much for what I am after, at least for now. 

Edited by vainsoul
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, vainsoul said:

I actually went for the Falcon, seems like a good first wheel and a good fit (at least for now!)

I think that's a really good choice.  All reviews are showing it to be a very capable medium-small wheel and good value for your $$.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, vainsoul said:

I actually went for the Falcon, seems like a good first wheel and a good fit (at least for now!)

Good pick I think. I’m looking at them as well. 👀

• Like 1

I think there is a video coming about this but does anyone have a recommendation between the street tire and knobby? I went with street considering what I'll mostly be doing with the wheel but I've heard 50/50 reviews so far with some saying that with the knobby, it is more stable on streets and wouldn't go any other ways. 

3 minutes ago, vainsoul said:

I think there is a video coming about this but does anyone have a recommendation between the street tire and knobby? I went with street considering what I'll mostly be doing with the wheel but I've heard 50/50 reviews so far with some saying that with the knobby, it is more stable on streets and wouldn't go any other ways. 

You'll be fine with either choice since this will be your baseline starting experience.  People's preferences come up after they've ridden a handful of wheels and naturally compare them to one another.

• Like 1