On 7/10/2024 at 7:08 AM, corn said:

Who did you purchase from?

Ungerground, though I was left in limbo with the shipping courier for 5+ days as they never contacted me for declaration forms I had filled out for the expedited services. Finally obtained the information I needed to forward paperwork after 6 separate phone calls and redirects this week so it’s finally cleared from customs and should be on its way

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 11:48 AM, slippyfeet said:

Ungerground, though I was left in limbo with the shipping courier for 5+ days as they never contacted me for declaration forms I had filled out for the expedited services. Finally obtained the information I needed to forward paperwork after 6 separate phone calls and redirects this week so it’s finally cleared from customs and should be on its way

Curious how it compares mten4. I love my mten4. If the keep increasing the tire size it will just be another regular wheel.

I got my falcon coming but its still TBA. Summers gonna be over when i get mine lol

19 minutes ago, kintips said:

I got my falcon coming but its still TBA. Summers gonna be over when i get mine lol

It looks like a perfect winter wheel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Yup - i would have screwed in studs in that original knobby tire and used that tire as winter one. For next summer i would get some other tire.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 11:46 PM, Hellkitten said:

Lol we get so much snow/ice here, i'm gonna eat S*** for sure lol I'm really curious how it compares to my S16pro. I'm hoping the Falcon is a great grocery store wheel.

8 minutes ago, kintips said:

Lol we get so much snow/ice here, i'm gonna eat S*** for sure lol I'm really curious how it compares to my S16pro. I'm hoping the Falcon is a great grocery store wheel.

I live in Canada too…….. I know people that stud their winter tires. 

• Like 1

No locking trolley handle.. That's just stupid. You wanna push it forwards - it goes down.. Pushing it in sand/gravel/snow - it's useless. Also would not be surprised that over longer time pushing true all that at most forwards angle - the hinges will break over time. (I mean really pushing it true ground with resistance.. Not smooth level ground.)

In my case - i'm mostly using trolley in winter - pushing wheel true deep snow. (At some points you need to step down and push the wheel.) That's when a good/strong trolley is needed. Otherwise i'm riding and almost never using it. :D

Just now, Funky said:

No locking trolley handle.. That's just stupid. You wanna push it forwards - it goes down.. Pushing it in sand/gravel/snow - it's useless. Also would not be surprised that over longer time pushing true all that at most forwards angle - the hinges will break over time. (I mean really pushing it true ground with resistance.. Not smooth level ground.)

In my case - i'm mostly using trolley in winter - pushing wheel true deep snow. (At some points you need to step down and push the wheel.) That's when a good/strong trolley is needed. Otherwise i'm riding and almost never using it. :D

I agree its gonna run away from you, its like my S16pro handle where its so forward balance is off, you have to turn it around to trolley it with more stability

18 minutes ago, kintips said:

I agree its gonna run away from you, its like my S16pro handle where its so forward balance is off, you have to turn it around to trolley it with more stability

In this case forwards/backwards - doesn't matter. :D You got loose leash on a pug.

5 hours ago, Oliver Gould said:

What's the trolley handling like?

A joke - A bad joke, that's how it is.

7 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

First impressions: very well built. noticeably heavier carrying it around than the mten4. Acceleration is effortless and responsive. Pedals are lower than my mten4 and 18XL; dihedral angle at its flattest setting is still steep just like the falcon.

only gripe so far is the mudguard clearance, when the tire picks up  gravel it rattles through the rear (metal) and front (polycarbonate plate) guards very loudly.

IMG_4010.jpeg

Which one you like more for simple small commute around town? Falcon of Mten5? I bet carrying Mten5 is leagues better than Falcon? Ride quality would go to Falcon?

10 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

First impressions: very well built. noticeably heavier carrying it around than the mten4. Acceleration is effortless and responsive. Pedals are lower than my mten4 and 18XL; dihedral angle at its flattest setting is still steep just like the falcon.

only gripe so far is the mudguard clearance, when the tire picks up  gravel it rattles through the rear (metal) and front (polycarbonate plate) guards very loudly.

IMG_4010.jpeg

Wow they are almost the same size minus the wheel. Which surprising, makes the MTEN4 look really small when compared to falcon. Which one do you prefer?

17 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

@slippyfeet what is the real-world top cruising speed of the mTen5? 
The free-spin speed of 71km/h suggests that it's capable of cruising at 55km/h, which seems nuts on such a small tire.

Free spin on my unit was 69km/h. The Begode app didn’t allow me to adjust pwm to anything other than 80, I’ll have to check if that’s an iOS thing or is it’s baked into the wheel firmware. 
I’ll check the cruising speed hopefully this weekend 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

Free spin on my unit was 69km/h. The Begode app didn’t allow me to adjust pwm to anything other than 80, I’ll have to check if that’s an iOS thing or is it’s baked into the wheel firmware. 
I’ll check the cruising speed hopefully this weekend 

Thanks for offering to do the real-world cruise test. While you're at it, would you mind reporting the temperature? I'm curious about the heat dissipation with the silicone sock.

Also, do you have any issues going off of curbs with the low pedal height and low kickstand?
The MCM5 v1 and Tesla v3 both had low pedal heights which would scrape going over small bumps or turning into a hill.

3 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

It functions fine when deployed, but the transitions aren't too intuitive - I can foresee some people getting their fingers caught between the carry and trolley bars if they're rushing. It feels like a last-case feature not intended to be used frequently.

Can you try pulling the wheel around like a suitcase and let me know if that's more comfortable? The trolley handle seems to be able to go quite far forward and would suggest this was the point.

Oops, I didn't intend on pushing the wheel more than I'm comfortable doing as I treat all my wheels like my car - my street EUCs never fall over or get scuffed. 

I only did a 25mph run up a 1/4 mile 35-degree hill yesterday, no beeps.

The trolley has a stop point where the hinge meets the body - pulling it walking ahead of the wheel is very unbalanced, you'll have to turn in around S16Pro style and push it going in reverse. Otherwise, its best walking it ETmax/ falcon style. 

full disclosure: I'm just a leisure rider that does this hobby to unwind mentally after a long work week and for the body control aspect rather than thrill-seeking or speed. I like my wheels comfortable, reliable, and dead silent. I bring that up because the mten5's mudguard/kickstand is proving to be the dealbreaker for me. Theres only 2mm of clearance between it and the wheel. 4 screws hold it to the polycarbonate body plates, unfortunately it's integral to the rigidity of the rear. The smallest grains of gravel make it sound like rocks in a tin can. 

here's a pic of the trolley and the mudguard clearance:
image.thumb.jpeg.2a911098f7960978ca62d0d30fc28484.jpeg

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slippyfeet said:

Oops, I didn't intend on pushing the wheel more than I'm comfortable doing as I treat all my wheels like my car - my street EUCs never fall over or get scuffed. 

I only did a 25mph run up a 1/4 mile 35-degree hill yesterday, no beeps.

The trolley has a stop point where the hinge meets the body - pulling it walking ahead of the wheel is very unbalanced, you'll have to turn in around S16Pro style and push it going in reverse. Otherwise, its best walking it ETmax/ falcon style. 

full disclosure: I'm just a leisure rider that does this hobby to unwind mentally after a long work week and for the body control aspect rather than thrill-seeking or speed. I like my wheels comfortable, reliable, and dead silent. I bring that up because the mten5's mudguard/kickstand is proving to be the dealbreaker for me. Theres only 2mm of clearance between it and the wheel. 4 screws hold it to the polycarbonate body plates, unfortunately it's integral to the rigidity of the rear. The smallest grains of gravel make it sound like rocks in a tin can. 

here's a pic of the trolley and the mudguard clearance:
image.thumb.jpeg.2a911098f7960978ca62d0d30fc28484.jpeg

Wow that clearance is not good. I have mten4 and it has way more clearance. Can you take the kickstand off at all? 

You might need to file it down a bit, with a grinder

1 hour ago, kintips said:

You might need to file it down a bit, with a grinder

That piece doesn't look that thick in the photo.

Not sure if it would buy him much clearance after grinding. Also, it may weaken the structure. 

Perhaps if that piece can be removed, he can bend the middle section to follow the contour of the tire's profile? The plastic part can easily be reshaped using heat.

1 hour ago, kintips said:

Can you take the kickstand off at all? 

Taking it off leaves the plastic flapping around in the back, hence I deemed it integral to the wheel. The mudguard can be unscrewed from the bar to give another 1mm of clearance at the bridge point, but the lack of any guard will likely leave the taillight exposed to rock kick-ups. 
Maybe a tpu bumper or rubber/plastic flap extension under the taillight like the mten4 has would suffice.  I'm not into modifying my wheels though, so just take my observations as you see fit.
image.thumb.jpeg.3e8ec38ef7479fb7ac5eefab4da6be79.jpeg

• Like 2