Rear view mirror options

Has anyone found a decent rear-view mirror option?
I tried one of those flimsy Amazon mirrors on a wire, and it's nearly useless. 
I have a helmet with a visor and I did see a video where a EUC rider had mirrors under the visor. 
However, I have been unable to find this type of mirror. 
Thanks!

Posted (edited)

ScorpionADX2-mirrorset.thumb.jpg.9ceef0434b43720d68f51eb38b7c9562.jpg

I may set these up again soon so they come from below though - it annoys me that I lose my mirrors on foot with my front up - they rise with it at the moment !

???

They get a lot more rigid if you tape the fronts down with white electrical tape (pic taken before I did that)...

But my stalks are very rigid anyway, but unless taped down clatter on the peak regardless because I am holding on the backs with velcro, so there is a little play there. Mirror view remains solid. Also, despite these being fairly cheap (though not the cheapest) there are proper screws everywhere you need them, that do actually tighten down usefully to the point where you only have to readjust them if they get a serious knock.

Very effective, not too much wind resist, easily adjustable, don't get in the way of your vision too much...

I tried some glove-back options as well, but rejected them all in the end because I don't want to be flapping my arms about as I ride and trying to do 'view alignment', which of course, unlike the helmet ones, needs 'finding' every time, which sort of defeats the point of the quick mirror glance...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a mirror mounted off of the visor on this helmet. It’s much more stable and out of the way. I’ve also added a flat mirror as opposed to the curved one it came with. It gives a less wide field of view, but it’s much better for judging distance. 

• Like 1

Has anyone experimented with a Bluetooth rearview camera like it is sold for bicycles and motorcycles?
To use the Bluetooth rearview camera effectively, you could consider using a wrist sleeve to hold your device securely. Then, mount the camera on the rear of your bicycle or motorcycle using Velcro, ensuring it's out of harm's way.
I purchased the wide-angle blind spot mirror and a helmet-mounted one, although I couldn't get a large one and needed to return the smaller one as squinting at it in traffic would end up causing a wreck.

Thanks to  XxGrendelxX & Hellkitten for the spot-on advice.

• Thanks 1

No problem, if it helps a fellow rider safe. 

I saw in person a pidzoom helmet mounted mirror. Like @Gkindy linked to above. A rider I know has one of the prototypes. I would absolutely recommend one. I am very impressed with the quality and options provided with it. Three arms of varying lengths to accommodate different helmets. A nice wide mirror with good positioning for sight lines. Durable looking. Solid mounting plate. I haven’t used it, but it looked great overall and my friend was very happy with it. 
I personally stick with the KISS model and go a simple route. Having something else to charge, weighs more, expensive crashes, connectivity issues……. I just glance up and see what’s coming. I’ve ridden with a helmet mirror for a few decades now (bike) and I’d never go without. 🙏 The only problem I’ve really had is rain, condensation messing up visibility. But if you do go with the Bluetooth camera, please post about your experience. I’d love to hear how it goes. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 10:51 PM, Hellkitten said:

No problem, if it helps a fellow rider safe. 

I saw in person a pidzoom helmet mounted mirror. Like @Gkindy linked to above. A rider I know has one of the prototypes. I would absolutely recommend one. I am very impressed with the quality and options provided with it. Three arms of varying lengths to accommodate different helmets. A nice wide mirror with good positioning for sight lines. Durable looking. Solid mounting plate. I haven’t used it, but it looked great overall and my friend was very happy with it. 
I personally stick with the KISS model and go a simple route. Having something else to charge, weighs more, expensive crashes, connectivity issues……. I just glance up and see what’s coming. I’ve ridden with a helmet mirror for a few decades now (bike) and I’d never go without. 🙏 The only problem I’ve really had is rain, condensation messing up visibility. But if you do go with the Bluetooth camera, please post about your experience. I’d love to hear how it goes. 

I preordered the PidZoom one haha. Looks very promising! Couldn’t pass up the $19 preorder price.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2024 at 9:50 PM, Gkindy said:

I preordered the PidZoom one haha. Looks very promising! Couldn’t pass up the $19 preorder price.

Thanks for the tip.
I ordered the mirror on pre-order as well.
Looks promising.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

I’m riding with Garmin Bike Alarm.

I’m loving it, but I may consider an extra mirror like yours on the helmet ~ if I find one I like 👍 

IMG_1417.jpeg

How do you receive the alerts when cars approach from behind?
Do you use the Garmin mobile app, or do you have the Garmin display?
Looks like an interesting option. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jayzao said:

How do you receive the alerts when cars approach from behind?
Do you use the Garmin mobile app, or do you have the Garmin display?
Looks like an interesting option. 

I’m loving to use it on my bicycle, it’s working literally as mirrors but even better.

Why better?

It’s because this device can see through ~ showing on your display every single car that’s behind you 👍

Usually when cycling I could see one or two cars behind my back, but if behind me was a van, or big truck or the bus …

Can you see my point?

Then I didn’t see anything else, just that one big vehicle…

You can see all those cars on your mobile screen and judge how fast they go !

So you are aware whether the car is going slow or fast, cause you can judge it by viewing the screen 👍

If there’s 5 cars behind you ~ you can see them, no matter if they hidden behind big bus, or lorry wagon!

And you can observe all of them to see if you get a gap between to make a turn, change the line or else 👍

There’s sound buzzer alert at every time when the car appears behind you too, so you’re always aware.

I’m not trusting it 100% in case of an unknown gadget’s error ~ I’m always making sure, double check with my eyes if you know I mean ~ because it’s an electronic device, even though it’s reading the traffic behind me perfectly, and I just can’t imagine not having it.

Bare in mind it’s designed to track moving objects, therefore I’m always double checking in case it could have missed any slower moving car, or bike, or such 👍

I’ve forgotten if there’s any exact information what speed is triggering this sensor ~ please do research yourself if you interested @Jayzao.

EUC World has the option to pair up this sensor ❤️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Planemo said:

So you have to hold a phone and keep monitoring it?

The phone I have mounted to my forearm @Planemo.

I’m using the EUC’s ring bell when passing between people, so I need to have my phone accessible to put my finger on the screen, or check the battery level, or temp…

I’m also having my phone’s camera ready in case I need record any event to my protection…

I got it set to double press of power button ~ the video mode is turned on ~ then single press on the volume button to start recording…

What I’m saying is ~ I have the phone on the top of my forearm, always ready to have a look…

So if I’m about to make a turn or attempting to stop on the traffic lights or such ~ it requires nothing more, but just quick look at the screen to see how busy traffic behind me is…

To improve this even more, I’m considering to fix the helmet mirror too (as I mentioned earlier), so I could use both (helmet mirror + Garmin Radar) in advantage ~ to make both work best for me at present road scenario …

So to sum it up ~ the benefit I can see of using the Garmin Radar is that I don’t have to check the mirror to be aware if something is behind me.

The Radar is giving me sound alert immediately.

At this point I’m not looking on the screen ~ I’m just riding being focused on what I’m up to.

The Radar is making me being conscious ~ that I’m being followed by car, so it keeps me aware something is approaching behind me…

Therefore if on my way is a pothole, drainage or any obstacle ~ I’m very conscious to check the room behind me to pass the obstacle safely.

If on the screen I see few cars ~ I can slow down, get prepare for the gap between them, and get ready to make a move before I proceed it …

For example ~ you can see some obstacle at some distance…

You are being alerted by the Radar that you’ve being followed by a car…

Quick look to check the screen ~ you’ve noticed there’s 3 cars behind you…

So you starting adjusting your speed before the obstacle ~ because now you know there’s 3 cars…

Then you counting these cars while they’re overtaking you ~ 1, 2 … and third car …

No need for looking at your mirror, or mobile screen ~ you’re focused on the surface before you…

Double check to make sure you’ve got the room ~ bang on ~ obstacle safely overtaken…

Edited by PogArtTi
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Planemo said:

Cheers @PogArtTi, I might look into one of these. I don't ride with a phone on my wrist but I may consider a cheap, small android if it's worth my while.

@eucandoit, do you have a link for the copy garmin?

AliExpress'te bu muhteşem ürünü buldum. Hemen göz atın! 2.100,59TL  37% İndirim | Juradar W100 bisiklet dikiz Radar bisiklet Radar kuyruk işık fren algılama lamba eyer Seatpost Ebike su geçirmez bisiklet arka lambası
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eudk3XH

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 9:46 PM, eucandoit said:

I bought an immitation of garmin rear view radar. It works flawlessly. 

IMG_4454.jpeg

That’s an interesting mount spot 👍

I’ve got mine attached to the backpack, it’s very ordinary compared to yours 😉👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Planemo said:

Cheers @PogArtTi, I might look into one of these. I don't ride with a phone on my wrist but I may consider a cheap, small android if it's worth my while.

@eucandoit, do you have a link for the copy garmin?

You know my friend ~ it’s not for everybody, I mean the Rear Bike Radar 😅

I have a friend of mine, he’s cyclist ~ he just regrets everything I say about benefits of using it LOL 😅

So I’m sharing what I like about it, but bare in mind, that what I appreciate might be opposite to your likeness @Planemo 👍

[Also ~ you don’t need to mount the phone on your forearm at all.

All you need is to get to hear the RADAR ALERT when it spots the car behind you 👍

This way You will benefit of being constantly informed of any car following you 😉👍

Then you can check your glass mirror in advance 👌

You can keep the phone in your pocket for example, and set the vibration alert if you couldn’t hear the sound…]

It’s like me being sort of hobbyist audiophile (😉).

I do enjoy listening to hi res audio tracks with over the ear headphones.

My other friend does listening to good music too ~ he’s not interested having headphones at all 😅

He prefers hi-fi tower set with good quality speakers 👍

What I’m saying is, both of us appreciate good music, but we do listen to it different way 👍

So we all in here are riding EUCs ~ but our point of view might don’t match 🙈🙉🙊

Before you consider to spend money do research on your own, I bet you already do 👍👍👍

And even though I don’t mind any third party gadgets at all, I’m always being a bit sceptical.

I mean it’s not genuine product, but works the same and costs much less I guess.

But I would rather pay the extra more to get a genuine item if my safety relays on it ~ again ~ it’s just my preference 👍

Edited by PogArtTi

All good feedback, thanks Artur.

We all have different riding situations as you say. For me, I avoid riding with traffic wherever possible and I'm reluctant to add yet more hassle of gadgets what with my Pebble, JBL speaker, EUC World, charging of powerbank etc it just gets on my nerves a bit so anything I add to that has to be something I really kinda want/need.

I really like the idea of this, I just need to make a decision on whether it's benefits (for me) warrant the cost and necessity for an additional device to see/hear it on. I very much doubt I would feel a vibration nor hear a beep (I struggle to hear much over the windspeed at anything over about 25mph) so I think it would need a visual cue for me therefore another phone. Theres some really small cheap androids available so I think that would be my option, and maybe put it in place of my wrist mirror, resorting to looking over my shoulder for final checks. My other wrist has my Pebble which I really don't want to take off as its so handy.

I've done some research and there are quite a few cyclists who really rate them, I take on board your comment from your buddy though who isn't keen.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

That’s an interesting mount spot 👍

I’ve got mine attached to the backpack, it’s very ordinary compared to yours 😉👍

It is a GoPro head mount. Usually I don’t use b.pack but it also seems a good mounting position. 
By the way this tech is way more reliable than any mirror solutions. You can not always look behind but radar can 🙂 and you may always prefer to combine it with a mirror. 
Today I forgot to power on the device, and this was a bit unsafe though 🫤

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

All good feedback, thanks Artur.

We all have different riding situations as you say. For me, I avoid riding with traffic wherever possible and I'm reluctant to add yet more hassle of gadgets what with my Pebble, JBL speaker, EUC World, charging of powerbank etc it just gets on my nerves a bit so anything I add to that has to be something I really kinda want/need.

I really like the idea of this, I just need to make a decision on whether it's benefits (for me) warrant the cost and necessity for an additional device to see/hear it on. I very much doubt I would feel a vibration nor hear a beep (I struggle to hear much over the windspeed at anything over about 25mph) so I think it would need a visual cue for me therefore another phone. Theres some really small cheap androids available so I think that would be my option, and maybe put it in place of my wrist mirror, resorting to looking over my shoulder for final checks. My other wrist has my Pebble which I really don't want to take off as its so handy.

I've done some research and there are quite a few cyclists who really rate them, I take on board your comment from your buddy though who isn't keen.

Cheers

Exactly to the point ❤️

Too many things around you is not what you need at all 👍

I know it’s something new to you ~ to get under your consideration, but I’m sure you’ll make a wise decision at the end of your research 👍

Best of luck.

Art.

• Like 1