Kingsong 16x - play in wheel

On the first ride of the spring, my 16x had developed some kind of a rubbing noise and slight wobble while riding. Once per wheel revolution. The (original) tire looks well centered and there should be enough clearance, so I didn't think that was it. Picking the thing up and freewheeling looked alright, no rubbing noise and the tire looked straight.

However, putting the EUC on the side, grabbing the wheel from the tire, and trying to yank it up and down (to the EUC's sides) felt solid from one angle, but with a noticeable play (a few mm) when turning the wheel and trying from another angle. That confirms I wasn't going crazy.

Now a question, how screwed am I? Could it be just a bad bearing or do I need a new axle (meaning motor)? On one hand, the wheel was running alright when freewheeled. On the other hand, there was no harsh knocking sound that would indicate a bearing problem, just as if something was rubbing against the tire or something. Haven't heard back from the shop yet..

Edited by superox

2 hours ago, superox said:

with a noticeable play (a few mm) when turning the wheel and trying from another angle. That confirms I wasn't going crazy.

The first I'd do is take the wheel apart to see if you can find out the cause of this noticeable play. It can be some misaligned screw/bolt.

If it's cracked axle - it can be welded.. Same for those "dot" welds that hold axle in place.. Doesn't mean you need new motor right away. (OFC if you don't like fixing things and the time spent fixing it isn't worth to you - you can buy right-out new motor.)

You mean you got play when changing riding direction? Like who EUC body is moving? Example you are riding and start braking - you feel like euc falls to other side (backwards) about 5mm?

Try this: Place EUC on ground - power it on - try applying force at very front downwards (Like accelerating, but not letting the wheel move forwards.) Afterwards try the same, but at very back end.. Pushing back down like braking - Do that multiple times changing from front to back, back to front, see if there is play, like EUC body moving little bit.. (It would feel like EUC body is "slipping" over axle. Tire not moving, just upper EUC body moves little bit.)

FYI: You need to apply ALOT of force - same as you would be riding with your whole weight..

Video could tell a lot more about the issue.. Maybe film it while riding? Otherwise we can only guess.. It can be bearing.. Cracked inner shell one side not holding onto pedal "L" hangers anymore.. Bent axle..

Edited by Funky