S16 (Pro) real range

Magovec

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

You know that charging to 80% - you actually are hurting the battery. (Because you don't really ever balance the cells.) Just saying.

I agree, but I did not decribed it in detail - I was doing the same as you descibed but with longer period between full charge cycles. I usually charged to 80-90% for about one month (1 max 2 charging cycles per week) and then did one full charge. Then another month cycle. Shame that with S16 this is not possible - charging it to 80% would mean 30km range.

Talking about balancing - am I correct that modern wheels, having BMS, can be charged even partially and BMS distribute current as needed thus balancing during every charge?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Magovec said:

I agree, but I did not decribed it in detail - I was doing the same as you descibed but with longer period between full charge cycles. I usually charged to 80-90% for about one month (1 max 2 charging cycles per week) and then did one full charge. Then another month cycle. Shame that with S16 this is not possible - charging it to 80% would mean 30km range.

Nonono - i mean literally i charge ONLY every second weekend.. No charging in middle. (My commute is ~4km long.)

5 minutes ago, Magovec said:

Talking about balancing - am I correct that modern wheels, having BMS, can be charged even partially and BMS distribute current as needed thus balancing during every charge?

Some wheels yes - but i still would choose to charge to 100% and then ride down to 40-50% and charge again fully to 100%. Because who knows - are the BMS actually doing their work? Safer to charge to 100% +balance.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Funky said:

Nonono - i mean literally i charge ONLY every second weekend.. No charging in middle. (My commute is ~4km long.)

Some wheels yes - but i still would choose to charge to 100% and then ride down to 40-50% and charge again fully to 100%. Because who knows - are the BMS actually doing their work? Safer to charge to 100% +balance.

+ from 100% down til 40% is far better safety margin as from 80% down til 20% .... but that's just me dont trust anything less than 40% ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robse said:

+ from 100% down til 40% is far better safety margin as from 80% down til 20% .... but that's just me dont trust anything less than 40% ;)

18xl start to limit around 25%. I once even rode 3 weeks without charging. (To see how low it would get, if i wanted to charge only at weekends. Also i ride slower on daily commuted, because of lack of gear..) On 3rd weekend it was down to 30%. So i figured i will charge it every second weekend around 45-55%.

I personally would be happy with 800-1000Wh battery - charge it every weekend. :D 

Edited by Funky

I considered buying the S16 Pro as an alternative to the S22 Pro, especially for shorter trips (approx. 60 km). However, from your comments, my expectations were probably too high. Was the shorter range of the S16 Pro confirmed by multiple users?

I also read that the  3.0 kW motor had replaced the old one (2.8 kW). I suppose that your units are using the improved motor.

Do you find the suspension travel acceptable for the terrain (no jumps are supposed)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomB said:

I considered buying the S16 Pro as an alternative to the S22 Pro, especially for shorter trips (approx. 60 km). However, from your comments, my expectations were probably too high. Was the shorter range of the S16 Pro confirmed by multiple users?

I also read that the  3.0 kW motor had replaced the old one (2.8 kW). I suppose that your units are using the improved motor.

Do you find the suspension travel acceptable for the terrain (no jumps are supposed)?

S16 ‘pro’ (3kw) is the only one available in US, but other countries have the 2.8kw option as well. 

From my experience, 50km range is as far as you can go with mixed riding. Otherwise you can get further distance staying under 35km/h.

Suspension wise, It’s good- soaks up surface imperfections well. 600km on mine so far and operating smoothly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TomB said:

Mine has 3000W motor. Only option we have now. From my experience (and this is why I started this topic at the begining to see if majority agree or I am an anomaly) with normal riding, 90kg rider, mixed city terrain you can go up to 50km (and still have around 10% battery). To get above this you would need to go slower in range 25-30kph.

Suspension wise I must say it is perfectly designed and enjoyable to ride, but seeing that you have S22 it will be no surprise for you.