How to turn video

rcgldr

Found this video again, one that helped convince me that EUCs are stable, and that they turn by tilting (camber effect), before I ordered my first (and still my only) EUC, a V8F.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Haha 1

And another one ! This one is REALLY nicely thought through and explores the techniques involved in turning big heavy wheels...

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Cerbera said:

And another one ! This one is REALLY nicely thought through and explores the techniques involved in turning big heavy wheels...

The premise of that video is somehow slapping the top back of an EUC with your hand is going to have some effect in getting an EUC to tilt.This doesn't make sense and none of the high speed riders like Dawn Champion, Roger EUC, ... , are doing this. They all just use their legs to force an EUC to tilt, without issue. They shift to the inside (the EUC is also being shifted outwards), and use the lower outside leg to pull inwards on the outside upper pad to force the EUC to tilt, which will coexist with the outwards foot exerting some outwards force on the outer pedal (spiked pedals used to prevent feet from slipping on pedals). In that video, the rider is doing the same thing, his outer leg is pressing inwards against the outer pad, his inner leg is hanging off, which is similar to the "moto gp" style that he claims is wrong. Video of Dawn on a Commander GT Pro taking turns at 30 to 50 mph, with link set to 19:30 into the video where she leaves the group behind to start her high speed testing of the GT Pro. At 23:40 into the video, I wonder what the car drivers think as Dawn passes by on an EUC.

Edited by rcgldr

Just look at 00:25. This light is awful even during evening, during night it probably forces other users of the road to stop because they don't see anything.

Screenshot_20240404_210453.png.32a1cd4ca89ccd390f007414d8065b6e.png

I hate such road users. "Oh, but I'm visible." yeah, right you selfish prick. Cars are better in this aspect than cyclists.

Edited by atdlzpae

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Just look at 00:25. This light is awful even during evening, during night it probably forces other users of the road to stop because they don't see anything.

Human eyes respond logarithmically to light, video cameras respond linearly to light, exaggerating apparent brightness differences, except for high end cameras that use gamma correction to mimic how human eyes perceive light. Using gamma post recording will reduce differences, but can't reduce the the recorded glare effects. Making the issue worse is the camera's auto-gain is increasing the overall brightness (it was probably much darker at the time of recording). At 00:25 into the video, the camera is pointed directly into the beam from the tail light, further exaggerating the effect. At 1:00 into the video, the street light on the upper right is just as bright with more glare than the taillight, and the street light is much less directional. At 1:47 into the video (or the thumbnail), the taillight is not visible against the sunset sky.

Edited by rcgldr

2 hours ago, rcgldr said:

They all just use their legs to force an EUC to tilt, without issue.

Agreed, that works for a lot of people on some fairly big machines. Interesting you mention Dawn doing it though, because there are some sketchy moments for her on the ET Max she is testing, which proves a wee bit TOO heavy for a tramlining road tyre, her bodyweight and that technique ! She has to really wrench it over to get it to turn. I'll see if I can find it again... 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Interesting you mention Dawn doing it though, because there are some sketchy moments for her on the ET Max she is testing

Her main complaint is about the effort to accelerate, due to pedals and pads. This is her first session with the ET Max. She mentions hooking up her (outside) leg against the top of the EUC. 

Edited by rcgldr

Roger EUC on the ET max on Mt Baldy road. He uses chin camera, so you can't see his form, but he keeps both hands forwards when at speed, and again, only uses legs to force EUC to tilt:

Getting back to my point about the hand slap method not being useful, there's no reason the same or stronger impulse can't be generated from the lower outside leg. In Dawn's video, she often makes mid-turn corrections, increasing or decreasing lean angle with leg pressure as radius of turns on the road decrease or increase.