Best Material for Fairings?

I was thinking either plexiglass or maybe even like a plastic panel from ace for like storms and just cutting it to size? anyone try this? I am not paying $80-$100 for two flat pieces of plastic with velcro

Yeah.  That or Lexan.  Its the same I believe.  I am surprised none of the bigger accessory companies haven't offered more fairing plates.  I think it opens up alot of possibilities for different pad options.

Anything smooth and solid and not too heavy that won't split or crack in small falls, and which takes adhesive well should do it. I've seen plexi used, PET of various thicknesses, delrin and even hardwood over the years !

The thing you pay your 80-100 dollar for is having it cut precisely to shape and drilled in all the right places and velcro applied properly !

Edited by Cerbera

22 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Anything smooth and solid and not too heavy that won't split or crack in small falls, and which takes adhesive well should do it. I've seen plexi used, PET of various thicknesses, delrin and even hardwood over the years !

The thing you pay your 80-100 dollar for is having it cut precisely to shape and drilled in all the right places and velcro applied properly !

So lazy people who can't draw a straight line? just jk! But I almost collapsed when I saw the price for fairings. $70 for what is essentially a piece of plastic with holes and velcro? All the materials by themselves can't be more than $40

Admittedly the Grizzla fairings are best value as part of the whole fairing kit (in the case of mine at least), which also got me front and rear / handles / bumpers.

It would be quite a lot of holes to drill to make it fit all that, then to finish them nicely, bevel all the edges, 3D print the spacers, and even provide nice circular velcro toppers for the screws, which they also provide, usually in a variety of different bespoke lengths. That's quite a lot of work to be doing yourself, and of course if you enjoy that sort of thing why then the hell not, but I was very happy to hand 'em 100 quid to just have them be right and ready to go !

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2024 at 10:50 PM, onewheelkoregro said:

So lazy people who can't draw a straight line? just jk! But I almost collapsed when I saw the price for fairings. $70 for what is essentially a piece of plastic with holes and velcro? All the materials by themselves can't be more than $40

If you can do it yourself, by all means, but that's not really expensive for all the provided parts (precision cut fairings, all needed screws and what have you for installation), then you have the R&D to get there, prototyping to get it perfect fit, production and logistics, it's not something they get rich from.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, onewheelkoregro said:

I am not paying $80-$100 for two flat pieces of plastic with velcro

If it doesn't need a bunch of precision holes or bends, I agree, just get some polycarbonate at a glass shop and trim to size.

• Like 1