Any news on a 151v Sherman S?

At 3,100 miles on my Patton with the 70lb progressive spring, I am looking more and more at skipping over the Lynx as I desire to ride at 45mph for longer distances. 

The patton realisticly is only comfortable at 38 mph for long rides.

Riding the Lynx at 45mph would limit my range to near Patton range.

So I am looking for basically when the next leaperkim cruiser wheel is dropping.

I commute to work on my Patton at speeds over 40mph daily, so I know for a fact the Lynx doesnt offer much over the Patton for the amount it would cost me. If we can get a Lynx-X-Sherman S hybrid, I would buy it tomorrow. 

My only concern would be the weight, the Sherman S rode amazingly when I tried it, the ET Max is too heavy to flick around like a Lynx or Patton. ( ET Max doesnt ride heavy, only small adjustments and maneuvers reveal its weight in my experience **idling, 180s, curb hops etc**)

TLDR : Any rumors of a high voltage, long range Leaperkim wheel coming this year?

This is the wheel that I'm waiting for too although I'm not in too much of a rush because I still love my Sherman S. I'm excited to see what LK comes up with in the future.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, Clem604 said:

This is the wheel that I'm waiting for too although I'm not in too much of a rush because I still love my Sherman S. I'm excited to see what LK comes up with in the future.

I've been trying so hard not to jump the gun and get a Sherman S. I know the next leaperkim will be a high volt cruiser. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickysock said:

I've been trying so hard not to jump the gun and get a Sherman S. I know the next leaperkim will be a high volt cruiser. 

Yeah, if you were in the market last year then the Sherman S would be a great buy. At this point I would wait as well if you don't need a wheel immediately. If you could find one used for a heavily discounted price it might be worth considering.

I know Gotway is getting a lot of attention for getting to 168V, but I really think 2024 is the year of Veteran. They basically made a modern Msuper type wheel (jack of all trades) for the first time since the RS19, a type of wheel a lot of people are looking for. 

The design philosophy of Veteran doesn't leave much to be desired as with Gotway, and if they keep this trend up of releasing a really well-designed wheel, a lot less frequently than Gotway, I think it'll only be a matter of time before their market share becomes significant, especially if they keep supporting their models by producing spare parts years into the future, unlike Gotway.

More and more I find myself only being interested in Gotway for performance, when it comes to proper design/features/build quality, increasingly I only have eyes for Veteran... Once Veteran breaks the 120km/h barrier (200V roughly?) it would require a massive improvement in design philosophy for Gotway to remain relevant in the market.
After we get past highway speeds (roughly 120km/h in most of the world) I think the voltage and performance race will slow down, and the focus will shift heavily to design philosophy and build quality, we're already starting to see the first steps in that direction, and as such Veteran is in a great position for increasingly taking over more market share.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

if you ready to put additional battery cells from 150v to your pockets why not, it is possible leaperkim releases 150v Sherman :) Or be ready to get double sized box of Lynx to achieve 150v and 200km range of Sherman

+1 to OP. I'm in this precise position. Id like a Lynx with an extra kwh. (15kph more speed too, but i can deal) And im guessing the next Sherman S will be the higher voltage. 

On 3/27/2024 at 12:04 PM, That Guy said:

My concern is that 151V will shorten the range of Sherman-S materially... 

What are the reasons for your concern that base voltage change would affect range? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Yook said:

What are the reasons for your concern that base voltage change would affect range? 

Didn't ask me but I will answer anyway. Take a look at Lynx and Patton range tests. Unless they are regulated by speed and acceleration to be as close to each other as possible, they pretty much end up being pretty close to each other. Doesn't make sense, Lynx is 2700wh and Patton is 2220wh? Yeah, but Lynx has more torque and as such is faster to accelerate to the same speed. Faster acceleration always means more power draw, logically.

But yeah of course the riding style plays a huge part in the range tests. It's just that when you got the power available, you are more likely to use it then, even if you don't mean to. I'm pretty sure a 151v 3600wh Sherman S would lose to the OG Sherman S in a range test if they would just be done without thinking too much about acceleration and such, but keeping the max speeds pretty close to each other.

But the 151v would probably be a lot more fun to ride, no doubt about it.

Either way might be a while until you see it. It could use Lynx's motherboard and motor (to cut down the weight a little bit) but that would leave two options. Either a 36s5p battery (3240wh, 151v and uhhh 180 cells in total) or a 36s6p battery (3888wh, 151v and 216 cells). Assuming it still uses 50E cells. OG Sherman S has a 24s8p battery so 192 cells, so the existing battery cases would fit the first configuration just fine, but probably not the second one. I'm not even 100% certain that it will be using the Sherman S's look, probably will be a new design.

One option would also be 168v. 40s5p is exactly 3600wh, 168v and exactly 200 cells. But it would require a new design for the controller.

Either way I think that their next wheel is one with a big battery again. Hopefully they can keep the weight the same or under the Sherman S. Most likely not going to be switching my Sherman S anytime soon since I feel like it fits my needs more than enough, my next wheel is probably going to have to be a major upgrade in several departments, most importantly weight, range and power. When I can get a wheel with similar range as the Sherman S, sub 40kg and more power and torque I might consider it, but as of right now I think that is pretty much impossible to do with current technology. Maybe in a few years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting to let everyone know, I almost pulled the trigger on a really clean ex30 for $2100....then I remembered no Smart BMS.

Why in the heck did these never come with that? I was fine buying the Patton because it seemed like no wheels had it so it shouldn't be a problem lol (if everyone's jumping).

Anywhore, 4k miles later about 30-40 miles at a time leads me to expect a lot of charge cycles in the first 2 years.

To commute, fast charge, and stack 10-12k miles a year on a wheel with confidence REQUIRES a way to check individual cell health.

I'm super paranoid about unbalancing my Patton after a hard ride or multiple charges a day BECAUSE I can't see my cell voltage differential. 

*End of 1st world problem moaning*

Tl;Dr Really tempted to get these cheaper high range wheels instead of waiting for Leaperkims, but no Smart BMS, no sale.

Imagine Mint condition EX30's for ~$2000 🥵

Just get the EX30 if it seems to suit your riding needs, Smart BMS is a nice feature to have but I don't think it's a make or break feature. All modern EUCs have good enough cell balancing with or without a Smart BMS.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:35 PM, Frolic0415 said:

Just get the EX30 if it seems to suit your riding needs, Smart BMS is a nice feature to have but I don't think it's a make or break feature. All modern EUCs have good enough cell balancing with or without a Smart BMS.

I want my next wheel to last me for years to come. My Patton is the last wheel I will trust blindly only because I can check individual Battery voltages as some form of verification.

Please note that even in EVs batteries with different IR creep up over time, its inevitable.

After these cells IR creep, they start to sag excessively under load, so one day your brisk 0-40mph pull might cut out on you, even if you are used to doing it for the last 2 years.

It will happen faster than the beeps can save you depending on how many cells have started to IR creep. All of which can be accounted for by checking every now and then under a hard pull. You can adjust your riding behavior to stay safe, or replace the battery. 

For riders that only keep their wheel for a year or 2 before upgrading, Smart Bms isnt that big a deal.

I like to keep my vehicles and run them till the wheels fall off, so Smart BMS is a MUST.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 6:08 PM, Milordas said:

P cant be odd numbers, as batteries is x2

You can have an odd amount of parallels.

You could have 1p if you really wanted.

Biggest 'issue' would be with smart bms reporting. A gimmicky way would be to have the readings as 2p 2p 1p where the 2p readings operate the same as the Lynx and then have direct cell reporting for the 1p.

Would need a new BMS controller design anyway as the Lynx is 4p. Don't know if there are unused pins for additional packs.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:25 PM, Clem604 said:

Love my Sherman-S too. I’d like a little more torque. 

A Lynx Max or Lynx Pro?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 2:04 AM, That Guy said:

My concern is that 151V will shorten the range of Sherman-S materially... 

Not at all. We tested the battery consumption of the LYNX vs ShermanS. They used the same wh/km at the same speed. But it's you ride faster than you would do with the ShermanS, you would drain the battery faster 

On 5/20/2024 at 10:13 PM, GothamMike said:

Love my Sherman-S too. I’d like a little more torque. 

A Lynx Max or Lynx Pro?

What’s the different spec between 151v Sherman-S and 151V Lynx? More torque or more battery? 

21 hours ago, Milordas said:

Sherman known as have bigger battery size, 8p instead of 4p

What capacity of battery will we get in respect to spec of 8P and 151v battery? 

5,000 miles in on the Patton, still holding out for the next Veteran cruiser wheel 🤞🏾.

Still no problems on the Patton from frequent abuse.

Black diamond trails, jump parks, and skateparks. 

Still don't see the need for a Lynx (while owning a Patton) although I have tried it and it was excellent in all regards.

Give me Sherman S range or give me nothing!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stickysock said:

5,000 miles in on the Patton, still holding out for the next Veteran cruiser wheel 🤞🏾.

Still no problems on the Patton from frequent abuse.

Give me Sherman S range or give me nothing!!!

Same here, currently at 19,554km's (12,150 miles) on my Sherman S without any issues other than the wheel resetting itself 3 times in my ownership. I'll happily ride the S until the Sherman S Max Pro Ultra comes out!

• Like 1