Recommendation for riding Shoes and jacket?

I have a lazy rolling jacket I used in the past and it survived a fall pretty well on asphalt (just a small hole on the top layer but not the underlying cloth) but there is a lot of room in the arms and I'm not confident my elbow pad inserts would line up in a fall; also the jacket is expensive by my standards.  Now I use a cheap motorcycle jacket and that is what I suggest.  I took a fall in one as well and some of the material got shredded but the clothing underneath was fine. (landed mostly on my shoulder/front on a brick surface)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting I thought more people would be giving more suggestions. I am in the market for a jacket with good protection. I’ve already fallen off going 34…. I don’t want to do that again. Tired of always putting on the elbow protectors and vest in different various random parts. Putting on a jacket with everything on it already is a lot easier.

Anyways, I was doing most of my research on Amazon, but Amazon has limited selection and started looking at good motorcycle branded clothing. 

This is what I was looking at. More of a summer jacket. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bilt-blaze-2-jacket?sku_id=1596516

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/reax-alta-mesh-jacket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFXLBNF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P&th=1

I have solely switched to MC jackets now. Like you, the faff of donning elbow protectors and/or shoulder protectors becomes a chore. Plus MC jackets are superior to just about anything else when it comes to abrasion resistance. Having all the protection built into the jacket which you can don/doff in seconds makes things so much easier.

I have two - a mesh one for summer and non-mesh for winter. Both made by Rev-It! and both have removable windproof inserts which pack up into nothing and get chucked in my backpack. Very handy to keep the late evening chill off as often my summer rides will start at 25 degC+ (therefore mesh jacket) and maybe end at 15 deg so I just chuck the insert on under the jacket come the evening.

I got both of them used from Ebay for like £30 each, in mint condition. No brainer really.

I'm looking around at the same but for trousers (pants) as I still use knee pads (Leatt 3DF 6.0) and a hip protector under my shorts (Leatt Impact Shorts GPX 4.0 3DF) which are both great but still won't give the all-over abrasion protection of a set of MC pants which are also now available in mesh and again would be a lot easier to don/doff than knee pads, hip protector and over-shorts.

I also use my motorcycle jackets and pants, it's what I find the easiest to carry, the best protection with the integrated shells while maintaining flexibility of movement. Like you, I noticed that preparing several items was too long a chore before departure and upon arrival, not to mention cleaning and storage. The ninja turtle design in town is notable at the restaurant and bar. The jacket and pants go everywhere off-road and urban.

3 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

The ninja turtle design in town is notable at the restaurant and bar.

Yeah the Power Ranger look can appear a bit intimidating/over the top. The Rev It! Eclipse is a particularly 'casual' looking jacket but with all the protection most will need.