Novel Ideas for EUC Linkage Suspension Slider Design Concepts

techyiam

51 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

What about something form IGUS drylin lineups

Basically it's the same concept as Inmotion sliders just inside instead of outside,Not really "novel". I envision the channel getting packed with mud/sand. At least the Inmotion ones clean themselves off. IMO the single trailing arm design would be the smoothest and the easiest for maintenance. similar to this setup except flipped around.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe

• 2 weeks later...

I find this speculation interesting, but if someone were REALLY wanting to assess such things, then a thoroughly instrumented wheel is needed.  Take the best linkage systems, take a well controlled fork system, and with accelerometers & other sensors find out what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING with a rider on the wheel.  Seek to get objective measures combined with subjective assessments by experienced riders who can try to describe WHAT they are feeling.  Adding complexity, weight, & cost without GENUINE benefit sounds like a typical .gov project - such as massively over-budget jets that don't fly worth a crap & need umpteen iterations to have something semi-functional.  Now for the individual playing with such toys, it might be fun to do, but for a commercial product one would hopefully have a bit of data to drive the process.

Having done my teardown of the Mini suspension, finding a good quality unit with a couple of design snafus, it seems that such an arrangement is going to be hard to beat. given that slider arrangements for linkage systems seem prone to failure until they are built virtually the same as a fork, which require good oil seals & dust seals for maintaining internal lubrication.  It seems that linkages offer benefit of varied ratios & ability to swap shocks, but the additional elements offer failure points & potential for friction as well.  BOTH approaches can work well ... I just think that dirt bike fork tech is so good, that proper design & application seems idiot proof.

But by all means, carry on!  Please, make your own wheel & try it!  As I mentioned in a thread some time back, in the 60s there was a great utilization of a leading link front fork that did very well in desert racing.  But being away from dirt bikes for many years when I bought my Husky back in 2012, I found that the progress in front forks tech unreal!  Now I had been on road bikes or racing mountain bikes, so no offroad motorcycles since the 70s.  For the EUC, I would like to see a bit more thought given (especially if moving towards longer travel in the 120-150mm range) to a dual crown arrangement.  The top cross piece (crown) would need to be designed in conjunction with the control circuitry (to get more separation from lower brace, and some sort of lower arch brace with battery boxes & fender attachment.

So BUILD a trailing link wheel!  Do it in VESC so we can get away from the crazy Chinese firmware issues.

56 minutes ago, OldSolo said:

I would like to see a bit more thought given (especially if moving towards longer travel in the 120-150mm range) to a dual crown arrangement.

Tbf the Begode setup is already dual crown, with the electronics box bracing the top and the alloy cross brace above the tyre.

It's just the forks that are crap :)