charger with output protection/voltage measurement

Zrex90

Hello there, I need your science.

I have a 100.8 v charger with an output protection system. As long as the charger is not connected to the battery pack it only delivers 2.50 volts and the charge indicator is RED.

As soon I plugged it into the battery pack connector I can hear the activation of a relay after one second, then the charge begins and the led turns green.

My concern is that this charger is delivering 101.4 V at the end of the charge which is triggers the overvoltage trip of my BMS so I have to lower a bit the output voltage.

How do I do that ?. Is it feasible to simulate a load on the output of the charger to be able to adjust the voltage?.

With the battery connected it's no feasible due to the inertia of the battery.

Anythought ? 

Many chargers have trim potentiometers to adjust the maximum output voltage (beside other adjustable values) as for example described here 

If your charger has similar adjustment possibilities that's the way to go. Be careful - such adjustment needs operating at the charger in duty which can lead to deadly electrocution!

• Thanks 1

Thanks got that. The idea is to do it without being connected to battery, as I must tweak the voltage at the very end of the charge and the result will not been seen immediately due to battery inertia. Don't want to turn it the wrong way.

In the topic mention above, a DC load is used to simulate the battery. I'll check if we got one at work to perform my testing and adjustment. If not ! Will use the battery packs.

Edited by Zrex90

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got tested my charger on a DC load.

It works as it should on CC/CV and has a cut of current of 300 mA (good for my EXN 6P configuration). When it comes hot the voltage rises up to 101,4 volts which is too high. The only adjustment resistor I found has no effect.. on anything I can notice. I was unable to test it by regulated current on the DC load which can be set in CV or CC mode not both at the same time. Anyway, as it is my second charger (both 100.8v 3 amps) I will use it in combination of the second one for bulk charge up to 90% of battery load, then remove it for last steps of the charge.

Again thanks @Chriull for the link