Kingsong S18 - maintenance | issues

rcgldr

Have the issues with the new hollow motor S18's been resolved? What are the issues in general?

What type of maintenance is needed for S18 and how often?

How fragile are the shell pieces on an S18?

I've read the trolley handle is not that strong, which can be an issue if carrying the S18. If this is the case, how should an S18 be carried? In my case, I only need to load | unload it from the passenger foot well, with the tire in the foot well, and the upper shell resting against a towel covered seat.

I'm currently riding a V8F, and considering S18, but it seems 18L could be a better choice (simpler, lighter), if I can find a 18L V2 for sale in the United States.

Edited by rcgldr

I'm also curious about this, and the main thread is so very long.
There are some good prices on S18 recently, would it be possible to have a short recap of the current state?
There have been issues with the BMS not balancing the cells properly. Has this been resolved?

Have the issues with the new hollow motor S18's been resolved?
YES -> v4 have same motor as s19

What are the issues in general?
-Low range and power compared to other devices with double battery and weight.
-Bateries can get out of balance (saw on two s18 - easily solvable).

-Can be pushed too far/can be overpowered easily if you are used to bigger wheels. Above 45 km/h it is sketchy and can nosedive under 30 percent.

What type of maintenance is needed for S18 and how often?

- I recommend replace shock for coil - if you dont wanna carry pump
- v3 need tightening hub bolts every year

- only regular maintenance I do is with silicon oil -i spray it on slajders.

I am riding 2/3 days per week, last two years to work and back. Great form factor/handle. Plastic are fragile so I covered all with EVA foam - no crack after two years. No failure or nosedive- (so far) **(I do respect tiltback and beeps). 

Edited by daniel1234
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, null said:

Thanks a lot @daniel1234!
Good to know there is some workaround for the battery balancing, I will look closer into it.

there are 4 separate batteries - 2 small ones and 2 big one. You can just unplug them and charge separately.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

there are 4 separate batteries - 2 small ones and 2 big one. You can just unplug them and charge separately.

Thank you for the info.
Good there is a solution, although it's more for enthusiasts than for people who won't open a device.