Check your second hand EUCs.

null

Got a second hand Sherman OG recently (for my other place) and found both a flint stone stuck into the battery pack (luckily it hadn't perforated it) as well as a good cut in the battery cable with exposed wire almost touching the trolley rail.

Another is a 14M a few years back. it was so bad it was beyond salvation. (some pics lower down)

So do consider checking the inside of your second hand EUCs.

And also in general: Many of us will have to meddle with the battery packs and wiring at some point, if only for tire change. Remember to treat them with care, they aren't bricks and rope. They have enough current to kill you, and if damaged they catch fierce fire at some random moment. Be careful.

Sherman OG:

IMG_0892.jpg.3c3e49934ea06e7c0bc430ee20465c90.jpg IMG_0855.jpg.1f52d72740c8c17df766af09a5b9624f.jpg

14M:

IMG_3752.jpg.0e7ad77b590ab5948758b6b794d9c227.jpg IMG_2107.jpg.a668d40c36b33b8b3a03c7f160ba2fd9.jpg

Edited by null
  • Upvote 2

What's wrong on the 14M photos? I want to know what to pay attention to specifically in the future, as from these photos I can't immediately see anything obvious to me (besides the battery cables looking like they were taped back on?)

10 hours ago, Tomallo said:

What's wrong on the 14M photos? I want to know what to pay attention to specifically in the future, as from these photos I can't immediately see anything obvious to me (besides the battery cables looking like they were taped back on?)

The EUC had been banged around so much many of the screw posts holding the plastic housing shells where broken This had led to a gap so large that the battery cables had gone into there and got gnawed off. They had been repaired with huge amounts of bad soldering but that's all. I hoped I had a better picture but that's what all the tape is hiding.

Also: there is rust around the logic board, so while it works, it means water, or worse salty water, have been inside the EUC. It might also have entered the battery pack.

Now this EUC looked banged up and was cheap, but still, people should not sell stuff where  they know there has been dodgy repairs without telling it. But sadly many people are dishonest.

edit: As for what you should do.. as its generally not possible to open up a EUC at the moment you buy it you could at least ask the seller every possible question regarding whether it has been opened, repaired, had major falls, been stored outside, been a lot in the rain, been submerged, etc. This way the seller cant just "not mention" negative points. (Some could actively lie, but I believe these are fewer than the ones opting for the passive dishonesty of "not mentioning".)

Edited by null
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, null said:

Got a second hand Sherman OG recently (for my other place) and found both a flint stone stuck into the battery pack (luckily it hadn't perforated it) as well as a good cut in the battery cable with exposed wire almost touching the trolley rail.

Another is a 14M a few years back. it was so bad it was beyond salvation. (some pics lower down)

So do consider checking the inside of your second hand EUCs.

And also in general: Many of us will have to meddle with the battery packs and wiring at some point, if only for tire change. Remember to treat them with care, they aren't bricks and rope. They have enough current to kill you, and if damaged they catch fierce fire at some random moment. Be careful.

Sherman OG:

IMG_0892.jpg.3c3e49934ea06e7c0bc430ee20465c90.jpg IMG_0855.jpg.1f52d72740c8c17df766af09a5b9624f.jpg

14M:

IMG_3752.jpg.0e7ad77b590ab5948758b6b794d9c227.jpg IMG_2107.jpg.a668d40c36b33b8b3a03c7f160ba2fd9.jpg

You just have to imagine buying a used car where

1: There is no guarantee for kilometers driven

2: Service book is not found - if it is, it is 20 blank pages long.

3: Whatever may have been made of service is probably (but unknown) made by private individuals more or less ignorant amateurs.

4: Number of owners is unknown - believing the seller is doubtful.

5: Has the vehicle been in an accident? Certainly yes, but cannot be documented, and the seller will probably explain that "it was just a minor drop down"

6: State of battery; Based on screen dump from an app or charger of questionable quality.

7: Condition of suspension? Jump up and down and pass it off as something useful....

8: Well used, treated with care, or violently beaten - trust the seller... Enjoy :cheers:

• Upvote 1