Travelling internationally to France with EUC - or is there a hire alternative?

Hello - I am hoping for some advice or to be pointed in the right direction. I have joined this Forum as I research for a trip in April that I am taking with my husband.  Full disclosure - I am not the EUC rider, he is (but he's not a forum/social media user at all). 

We ride regularly in Adelaide, myself on a traditional non-electric road bike, and he on his EUC.  We have both been actively campaigning with other riders for the legalising of PEV's in South Australia - side note: the legislation is changing as early as March, so soon he will be "legal" locally.

I am currently planning a trip to France to celebrate my turning 50 this year, with a view to cycle the Canal du Midi and Canal de la Garonne, Bordeaux to Sete. I will be bringing my own bike (as I am quite particular and not wanting a hire-bike) and my husband would much prefer to ride his EUC.  We will also end the trip with 4 days in Paris, where I am also excited to cycle my bike, and he would again prefer an EUC.

I am now considering solutions to make this happen, and believe our options may be:

* Send via freight his batteries (not allowed on the international flight) - and have them arrive at our first hotel before we do (hoping that they are happy to receive them and hold them until our check-in).

* Purchase new batteries locally (we will only have a day and a half in Bordeaux before setting off).

* He hires an EUC in Bordeaux with drop off in Sete .... and hires again in Paris - is this even an option?

I am wondering if anybody has any advice or experience in any of the above?

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

Hi,

send to France via freight is possible two monthes before, with insurance. I don't know the prices.

Purchase new batteries locally is more expansive.

During four days in Paris, location is possible if a bail is possible, in some stores. Rares clubs do that, i don't know where i'm in the south in small city.

Others options : - To find a wheel near your airport where you arrive, and return with the wheel on the same site.

- To receive your wheel in a city near your airplane, hotel. I could receive your wheel to my house, but it's not better because no airport, far from Paris, Bordeaux. Only Sete as you tell, i could be there one day.

I wish you a good trip on the Canal du Midi, boats run in 20 km/h, less than the wheel, less than a bike. Lots of cycles in holidays, look at days school or not. Meteo is good in April.

Edited by varamontelo

AFAIK there aren't many or any rental EUCs left, gyroroueshop for example stopped because of insurance complications.

Considering you need a slightly long period as well as pickup / drop-off at different places; buying one second hand and selling it before leaving seems the most realistic option to me. leboncoin.com is the French "craiglist" with most options but can also be a bit scammy. You could check the classified section of espritroue.fr (translated) which is safer because it's a enthusiast forum.

Have a nice trip!

• Like 1