Another win for EUC's vs Scooters

skunkmonkey

I have to say, I am very impressed with how well my V11 handles in the cold compared to my electric scooter. I barely notice any difference in my range when riding at freezing temperatures on the EUC during my 18 mile round trip commute. My electric scooter however acts like I sent it to Guantonimo.  The normal 40 mile scooter range reduces to something more like 20, and that's if I drop it down to gear 2. The battery cries all the way to work. There's no way I could make the commute in gear 3 like I do in the warmer months.

• Like 1

Eucs require higher current cells to provide the necessary torque to stay upright. You can put those cells in a scooter too but I imagine that's more of a premium thing than a necessity. 

High capacity cells will sag a lot in cold temperatures. Meaning the internal resistance is higher and thus efficiency is lower.

So while not all scooters use high capacity cells and not all eucs use high current cells, the eucs tend to require a decent current supply.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:02 AM, skunkmonkey said:

I have to say, I am very impressed with how well my V11 handles in the cold compared to my electric scooter. I barely notice any difference in my range when riding at freezing temperatures on the EUC during my 18 mile round trip commute. My electric scooter however acts like I sent it to Guantonimo.  The normal 40 mile scooter range reduces to something more like 20, and that's if I drop it down to gear 2. The battery cries all the way to work. There's no way I could make the commute in gear 3 like I do in the warmer months.

how fast you riding your scootr ??? faster than the V11 or same ?

On 12/5/2023 at 10:02 AM, skunkmonkey said:

I agree. I rode my V11 through the winter last year and I barely noticed the difference. On average I was likely riding slower so that could make up some of the overlap. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, alcatraz said:

Eucs require higher current cells to provide the necessary torque to stay upright. You can put those cells in a scooter too but I imagine that's more of a premium thing than a necessity

That’s not why. Without checking, I’m almost certain the V11 doesn’t use high power cells. The reason is because the wheel has a significantly bigger battery (less voltage sag) and good regen. Perhaps better insulation from the plastic battery cases as well.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

5 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

That’s not why. Without checking, I’m almost certain the V11 doesn’t use high power cells. The reason is because the wheel has a significantly bigger battery (less voltage sag) and good regen. Perhaps better insulation from the plastic battery cases as well.

10A cells are not the lowest discharging cells that are out there. The V11 has 4 of those in parallel making it 40A constant draw able. When temperatures drop so does the available amps, drastically. But even at 15A (easy riding) you're within recommended limits by the cell manufacturers. 

I don't know much about scooters but the one mentioned must have a tighter amp budget to lose a big chunk of its capacity when the temperature drops.

@alcatraz You’re right that many cheap scooters use even weaker cells, and yes they are often highly stressed in terms of their c-rate. I still think the bulk of the difference is the much bigger battery but cell type, regen, and insulation all play a role too.

It sounds he has an entry level scooter based on the range, so this big range drop would be expected.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie