Considering of relocating to Bangkok, Thailand from London, EUC is viable or not really?

brucey

Hey guys, loving Bangkok and thinking to stay here for at least another year. However, I love EUC and don't want to give it up while I'm here. I lived in London and going around the city on an EUC has been THE BEST thing I've done in terms of city discovering as well as exploration and enjoynment. 

That being said, Bangkok is a hectic city, lots of bikes, cars... ZERO bike paths, high/huge pavements with no easy access etc. Do we have anyone who lives or lived in Bkk and has actually had success riding around the city? Or is that just a suicide and is very risky in your opinion? 

Please no trolling, inability to ride could be the main reason I choose not to stay here, I know I could just yolo but don't wanna get hurt either 🙈

I ride in China and have in many ways found it to be safer than back in Europe.

Three reasons.

1. The traffic pace is slower. 

2. The roads are wider.

3. Drivers expect to share the road with a variety of vehicles. 

When it comes to safety you just need to ensure you've got enough distance in front to come to a stop. Also you need to ensure noone next to you is going to cross into your safety zone. It's like a long triangle I draw with my mind. The faster you go the longer and wider it becomes.

Is it going to be an efficient mode of transport? Perhaps not. If traffic is so dense that you can't maintain safety or you become so slow that mopeds just fly past you, then get that vehicle instead. In China electric scooters are the new rage. They go insanely fast. Might want to consider them. They're usually the best at getting through traffic as you have good brakes AND insane torque at the blink of an eye. You can catch small gaps in traffic that other vehicles can't.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:49 AM, brucey said:

Hey guys, loving Bangkok and thinking to stay here for at least another year. However, I love EUC and don't want to give it up while I'm here. I lived in London and going around the city on an EUC has been THE BEST thing I've done in terms of city discovering as well as exploration and enjoynment. 

That being said, Bangkok is a hectic city, lots of bikes, cars... ZERO bike paths, high/huge pavements with no easy access etc. Do we have anyone who lives or lived in Bkk and has actually had success riding around the city? Or is that just a suicide and is very risky in your opinion? 

Please no trolling, inability to ride could be the main reason I choose not to stay here, I know I could just yolo but don't wanna get hurt either 🙈

Talk to the guys over at eWheelsThailand. They'll probably be a bit biased in favor of riding around BKK, but maybe they have some local expats to connect with who ride around. There's also a Thailand EUC Facebook group that might be worth joining.

I'm having the same personal dilemma about living in Hanoi.