Got a V11 -- questions

mark321

I'll start with a mini-review, then I have several questions.

I just got an Inmotion V11, my previous main wheel was a KS18 from probably one of the earliest batches.

My mini-review is just to compare it to my old KS18:
* much much smoother at speed
* even without the suspension I'm pretty sure 18x3 is way better than 18x2.125
* no practical loss in turning ability from the extra tire width, maybe if I'm just seeing how small of a circle I can make the KS18 is a little smaller, but in practical use it's plenty tight
* finally having a trolley handle is super nice
* thank you Inmotion for finally making a trolley handle that doesn't look like -- ahem... seriously, there are several of their wheels that I wouldn't buy for that reason alone
* stands very high, is harder to blend with pedestrians on a sidewalk
* headlight isn't aimed very well, mostly just illuminates directly in front of the wheel
* I'm concerned about stopping distance, may need to practice this. No concerns when I see things in advance which I normally do, but a sudden unexpected stop might be a problem

Now for my several questions:

My biggest concern so far is how far it rolls as I'm stepping off.  I'm used to stepping off the KS18 while it's still moving a few mph, and having it immediately stop.  This one rolls several feet unless I'm way more completely stopped when I step off.  Is there an app setting that affects this?

The EUC almost feels reluctant to brake, enough so that I'm nervous about the feel going down a steep hill.  I turned on "split mode" and set braking to 100%.  Any other settings to get more firm and responsive feeling braking?  I currently have pedal hardness at 90% if that's related.

I put the balance angle at -1 degrees to get the headlight to point out at least a few more feet instead of just illuminating the ground directly in front of the unicycle.  Any other ways to improve the beam angle?  I read that it's not adjustable, and I haven't investigated "aggressive" options like opening it up to follow the steps for replacing the headlight and bending something in there.

And about that trolley handle, I like it except that the way it locks at the top and bottom actually makes it pretty finicky to access.  It almost requires two hands in order to both press the release latch and simultaneously pull to raise the handle itself.  Currently I'm experimenting with a zip-tie to hold the latch permanently so the handle is never locked at the top or bottom.  Is there a way to remove the latch, or other solutions to make the trolley handle less fiddly to access?

I feel like I had more questions than that, but I guess I'll just post more later when I remember them.  Thanks

• Like 1

The V11 was my first wheel! 
I’ve always had an issue with the fixed headlight. The only way to adjust the pitch is exactly what you did and change the pedal angle. It’s a terrible design, the V13 suffers the same issue. My Sherman has an independent light that you can manually change the throw. 
I like the locking feature on the trolly handle. Having one that doesn’t lock in place makes it much more difficult to maneuver IMO. You get used to deploying it. You can also add a seat and get away without using the handle. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mark321 said:

My biggest concern so far is how far it rolls as I'm stepping off.  I'm used to stepping off the KS18 while it's still moving a few mph, and having it immediately stop.  This one rolls several feet unless I'm way more completely stopped when I step off.  Is there an app setting that affects this?

Most 18in wheels require power pads. Might want to look into them.

I have the same problem with my Msx and it's the greatest weakness. The amount of rider input needed to produce an acceleration/desceleration.

It is the future however and wheels are just getting heavier which means they'll all require power pads.

Some users here think it's the difficulty of producing the necessary lean that's the problem. It isn't. I can lean enough to fall off the back or front of the wheel.

Riding among cars, I don't have the time to ride soft/medium mode. It could cause an accident that otherwise wouldn't have happened in hard mode.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2023 at 7:52 PM, mark321 said:

The EUC almost feels reluctant to brake, enough so that I'm nervous about the feel going down a steep hill.  I turned on "split mode" and set braking to 100%.  Any other settings to get more firm and responsive feeling braking?  I currently have pedal hardness at 90% if that's related.

Please watch this:

If you want more break assist, you need to lower the Split Mode Braking level, so that it helps you lean backward and get more leverage.

I've also found that enabling Fancy Mode in the Inmotion app increases available acceleration and braking power (the motor also makes more noise), so it does not just affect top speed. In fact, I still use the speed limiter on top of fancy mode.