Is it ok to ride with this small hole where it is?

onewheelkoregro

I am a diesel tech and by law any sidewall damage that has inner threads exposed is not legally able to drive on the road. Now having said that I do not know much about EUC tire construction but inspected my tire this morning because I couldn't mount the wheel because the tire pressure had gotten too low. So what I'm asking is do I have to replace this tire or is this ok? Inflated the tube and it is holding air

FB_IMG_1697761996585.jpg

I understand that the rules are there to guarantee safety. For peace of mind. For liability purposes. For protecting the lives of passengers and cargo as well as other motorists on the road but....

There is such a thing as exaggeration.

I was born in a place where we had yearly inspections and they're quite meticulous. You're taught to take things very seriously. Spec of rust on brake lines or low tread on a tire. 

Then I moved to asia where vehicles are really used. Sure a few accidents might have been mitigated with better inspections but 99.9999% of the time it's just exaggerated.

Also you'd likely see a bulge if you had a weak sidewall.

Next time tire's off you can put a patch on the inside to reinforce.

• Thanks 1

What tire pressure are you running at?

Assuming you are running an inner tube, if you shine a flashlight at it and look at it closely, do you see any bulging of the inner tube through the tire?

Just curious, how did the sidewall got damaged like that? 

25 minutes ago, techyiam said:

What tire pressure are you running at?

Assuming you are running an inner tube, if you shine a flashlight at it and look at it closely, do you see any bulging of the inner tube through the tire?

Just curious, how did the sidewall got damaged like that? 

I honestly have no idea. But I do live in a city that has a lot of drunks walking around so glass is everywhere in bike lanes so that's why I take side streets where I can keep up with traffic. Went for a store run yesterday and couldn't stay mounted on the wheel because the tire pressure was too low aired it up and did my run came back home to inspect it and actually missed it the first couple of times. So I ran my finger around both sides and felt this. No inner tube bulge at all. I usually do a full check before I leave but I was off the today before and didn't go anywhere. As a diesel tech I know tires lose air when the temperature changes, road conditions, etc and it is starting to get cold here in NM. Aired it back up and it is holding air. No inner tube bulge that I can see at all actually and the hole is so small I think it's ok. But this is not my field of expertise and I shared with the InMotion v12 owners group on FB but I got wildly varying answers from slap some duct tape on it to needing a tire change. So I figured I'd post it here where the experts are. NGL I put a little super glue on it and it rides fine. Just won't hit 35+ mph I guess until I eventually HAVE to do a tire change. Not looking forward to it though. Hopefully it will hold until my next wheel purchase and when I sell this one the next guy can deal with it😅

Cars are a lot heavier than EUC's, so while I can't speak from experience, I wouldn't be as concerned about it. That said, the type of riding you plan to do might come into play. If you are just a commuter I probably wouldn't blink at that. If you plan on jumping or doing serious off-road then maybe it could be an issue?

• Like 1