Veteran Sherman S rear mudguard catching on kickstand.

txwheel

I’ve put about 1500 miles on my veteran Sherman S without any issues.  No crashes or major drops.  Today, I took the wheel out for a spin and noticed a clicking sound that happens every time the suspension is compressed.  I’m  able to isolate the cause of the clicking sound to the rear fender  catching on the kickstand.  

Normally, the fender should tuck under the kickstand and stay under regardless of any compression on the suspension.  However, now, when the suspension compresses, the kickstand has started pressing down against the fender until the fender snaps over it, causing the clicking sound. And the fender stays stuck over the kickstand.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I haven’t adjusted the suspension settings and I’m maintaining consistent tire pressure, so I’m not sure what has changed. 

The top image shows what the fender looks like when it has snapped over the kickstand.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by txwheel

• txwheel changed the title to Veteran Sherman S rear mudguard catching on kickstand.

It should not be like that and only answer I can give you is that you need to disassemble one of the battery boxes to investigate.

If you keep riding like this it will most likely break.

I've just started to have the same issue.

I store my Sherman on the rear stand. And I think maybe some how that's made the rear mud flap go slightly out of shape. I can kind of bend it back down and it's all good.

But after leaving it for a day or so it's back in the same position.

Anyone come up with a solution. I'm thinking about maybe using a little bit of heat to shape the mud flap downward.

2 hours ago, Robb0 said:

I've just started to have the same issue.

I store my Sherman on the rear stand. And I think maybe some how that's made the rear mud flap go slightly out of shape. I can kind of bend it back down and it's all good.

But after leaving it for a day or so it's back in the same position.

Anyone come up with a solution. I'm thinking about maybe using a little bit of heat to shape the mud flap downward.

From having disassembled my Sherman S and knowing how it's assembled I don't see how it standing on the kickstand would cause that, perhaps the screws holding it in the middle is loose and need to be tightened.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine completely lost his mudguard, first we noticed that his front part was missing, it had cracked and literally fell off without him noticing, probably from a crash (he does a lot of stunts and drops his wheel from time to time) then later the rear part also fell off, can only guess but seems that the screws that hold the mudguard can come loose and this could be a symptom of this.

Perhaps vibrations are causing the screws to slowly unscrew, I don't remember from disassembly if they have brass inserts or not, but if plastic it's not appropriate to use loctite there, not sure how to solve that one.

Either way if you notice that it starts to shift it's better to do something about it ASAP or it will get worse, if it gets stuck on the kickstand it will most likely break fast.

I've just started seeing this on mine too. A possible reason is that the stand is slowly warping. In particular I'm getting one side listing due to a weakness on the left stand. Seems to have started after being in the boot of a car.

image.thumb.jpeg.93731095102415eee242658d21a5efee.jpeg

image.jpeg.2ae5d47cfe4ffd3e1f257ee95b878319.jpeg

Edited by Jono
duplicate images

17 minutes ago, Jono said:

I've just started seeing this on mine too. A possible reason is that the stand is slowly warping. In particular I'm getting one side listing due to a weakness on the left stand. Seems to have started after being in the boot of a car.

image.thumb.jpeg.93731095102415eee242658d21a5efee.jpeg

image.jpeg.2ae5d47cfe4ffd3e1f257ee95b878319.jpeg

Check if all screws are ok and not missing and if there's any cracks, the kickstand is part of a bigger piece that also protects the bottom of the packs, and it shouldn't be leaning like that.

This happened to mine as well (I'm over 1000 miles). I suspect the last time I went to align my tire it must've been rotated weirdly. Before, the mudguard was always misaligned with the wheel. Now it's aligned but hanging off the back. My method of alignment had to do with how straight or roasted the plastic stantions were when I screwed them to the motor (for example, on the left side of the wheel, rotating the stantion to the right makes the tiremrim point to the right). That's likely the most

My left shock is leaking also, so I'm going to have to open and service it around Christmas when I've got the time (and the oil), now that I've gotten replacement seals. I'll try to check back when I've investigated.

• 3 weeks later...