Wheel max carry capacity.

Funky

How do they end up with 220/260/280lbs max carry capacity?

For example Begode A2 has max carry capacity of 220lbs.

My KS18XL has max carry capacity of 265lbs.                 (For reference i'm to heavy for both..)

I have done little digging around and found out A2 uses 6204 bearing and my 18xl uses 6203 bearing.

Doesn't A2 have thicker axle? Meaning it should be stronger? Or are there material differences? Or the Begode pedals themselves are the weak point, for having only 220lbs max? Also the cutout hole/grove in axle for wire pass-thru is smaller on A2. Compared to 18xl - it has so thin axle walls.

Any input about this? :smartass: Should you really look at the max carry capacity? (In this case A2 looks to be stronger..)

0901d19680398aff.svg        A2: D-47mm, d-20mm   <<>>  18XL: D-40mm, d-17mm

Edited by Funky

I don't know how EUC manufacturer's actually choose maximum load capacity. It could be driven by engineering, marketing or legal objectives. From engineering standpoint it should be defined by the parts static and dynamic mechanical strength, the load cases and chosen MTBF. The load cases for a last mile wheel could be much lighter than to a trail wheel, but MTBF could be higher.

@Funky as @Eucner mentioned unfortunately marketing plays an enormous role in this decision. This isn't specific to EUC's, the scooter world (primarily the low-end commuter scooters) are plagued with over inflated weight limits that don't reflect reality. They like to report something high, so that more people will buy it, but in reality it may not be useable for high weight riders.

The TurboAnt scooter is a perfect example. I bought one because it reported over 300lb weight limit, and I figured that meant it would haul my 200lb body around no problems. Boy was I wrong. A slight breeze could bring you to a stop, let alone any kind of incline. I believe they were reporting the crush limit of that scooter, not the maximum usable riding limit lol.

I can't speak to those particular EUC's since I'm a new rider myself, and I use a V11, but I'd definitely trust other riders opinions when it comes to choosing an EUC for heavy riders if you fall into that category. I can say that the V11 holds up great even when I'm loaded down with tons of body armor, work gear, and heavy duty Kryptonite lock. I'd guess I've weighed as much as 240lbs at times, and it's done fine on my hilly 9 mile each direction commute.

Be aware that no matter what EUC you get, even if it can really handle the advertised rider weight, you will want to closely monitor your safety margin on EUC world. I started going slow and easy on my commute and then at the end looked at my lowest safety margin for the trip, and as long as it was above 20% I would gradually increase the speed / aggressiveness that I rode the commute until I found a speed that hit 20%, then I artificially set my max speed to that value, and respected the tilt back / beep. You don't want to eat pavement, which is exactly what will happen if you over-lean your EUC.

Edited by skunkmonkey

2 hours ago, skunkmonkey said:

@Funky as @Eucner mentioned unfortunately marketing plays an enormous role in this decision. This isn't specific to EUC's, the scooter world (primarily the low-end commuter scooters) are plagued with over inflated weight limits that don't reflect reality. They like to report something high, so that more people will buy it, but in reality it may not be useable for high weight riders.

The TurboAnt scooter is a perfect example. I bought one because it reported over 300lb weight limit, and I figured that meant it would haul my 200lb body around no problems. Boy was I wrong. A slight breeze could bring you to a stop, let alone any kind of incline. I believe they were reporting the crush limit of that scooter, not the maximum usable riding limit lol.

I can't speak to those particular EUC's since I'm a new rider myself, and I use a V11, but I'd definitely trust other riders opinions when it comes to choosing an EUC for heavy riders if you fall into that category. I can say that the V11 holds up great even when I'm loaded down with tons of body armor, work gear, and heavy duty Kryptonite lock. I'd guess I've weighed as much as 240lbs at times, and it's done fine on my hilly 9 mile each direction commute.

Be aware that no matter what EUC you get, even if it can really handle the advertised rider weight, you will want to closely monitor your safety margin on EUC world. I started going slow and easy on my commute and then at the end looked at my lowest safety margin for the trip, and as long as it was above 20% I would gradually increase the speed / aggressiveness that I rode the commute until I found a speed that hit 20%, then I artificially set my max speed to that value, and respected the tilt back / beep. You don't want to eat pavement, which is exactly what will happen if you over-lean your EUC.

Yeah i did monitor EUC world for the first month and time 2 time nowadays.. When i was going 40km/h speeds - i never got lower than 17%. Most times stayed over 25%. Nowadays i commute to work riding around 20-30km/h speeds. So it stays above 45%. (Mostly 20km/h - because i'm not gearing up, for 4km round trip.)

I'm 280lbs - no problem on 18xl - i simply don't jump curbs or anything. Don't hear any alarms ever for the past 3 years. Only when i tied to get overpower alarms myself. Other than that - nothing.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

I think it's mostly to do, that A2 doesn't have any power available to it. Meaning bigger, more heavy guys can easily overlean it. Even without trying.

Same time i have ridden KS16S also without any problems, which is much weaker than my 18xl.. No alarm blaring and such.