V12 security PIN Code Option

Nostris

I’ve started using my wheel in town more frequently and had been thinking of using the PIN code security option for locking the wheel. Do many of you use this feature?….Is it convenient and reliable?…. If you don’t use it..Why not?   Thanks in advance 👍

I'm not leaving my wheel outside anywhere, passworded or not. Far too easy for people to come along in a car or van and just take the wheel with them, unless it is also chained up, and even that is little opposition to the bike thieves who have cordless power grinders with them. Once the wheel is removed from the scene thieves can take their own leisurely time researching how to reflash the firmware, or may just try and sell it cheap in its locked state passing that problem up the line. There is no doubt that passwording a stolen machine does pose a big problem for thieves, but if they are the 'van and grab' style ones they will probably be unaware of the lock until they try to ride it, so it wouldn't stop them stealing it, and locked or not, you still don't have your wheel ! The one situation where a password could be useful is if your thief is on foot and wants to ride away on the wheel, but seeing as 99% of people can't just jump on these and go anyway, I would call that largely superfluous !

Are you finding you have problems taking your wheel into shops ? I'm on a much larger / bulkier machine and nobody so far has objected to me in any shop I have ever been in.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I want to make the same statement as @Cerbera and even though I live in little Denmark, where everything is peaceful.... not..   I've even had an idiot try to steal my bike, even though I was sitting 20 meters away drinking a soda with a friend, and the idiot didn't even try to ride the bike or break the lock, he took the bike on his back and ran. When we got hold of him after a 15 seconds, the message to us was that "it was just standing there all by itself..."  looking lonely :facepalm:

I’m in Italy, in a pretty small coastal town. I’ve had no problems taking the wheel into a shop when I needed to, but I don’t usually use the V12 for shopping errands..I have the old V8f for that as it’s more manageable. So far, I’ve never used the code as I’ve never needed to….Inwas just wondering what others do..  Do you use a tracker on your wheel or not…just in case some sticky fingered type decides to borrow it? 

Personally I have not felt the need for a tracker either, feeling as I do that any 3rd party one we add is too easily findable and removable.

If you are gonna usefully track these things it's either gotta be incredibly well hidden, or it's got be somehow integrated into mainboard circuitry so it can't be removed without killing the machine. And if you can track it to some dodgy dude's house - how confident are you about going round there and attempting to retrieve it ? It may be difficult to convince police to accompany you. I have seen video of people doing exactly that though, and some clever planning and strategy in the approach meant that guy did get his wheel back without having to involve police, in that one case the threat alone was enough.

Edited by Cerbera