814 mile review Ninebot Z10 with ninetool mod

woke rider

I am learning to ride my electric unicycle better. Def not bored yet. Def not maxed speed yet. I'm not sure if my wheel is keeping track of odometer properly. I wonder if suspension would be more fun or not because of the way that I am learning to accelerate over bumps and grooves is starting to be second nature. I had my first 'face-plant' today.

It wasn't a full on face-plant because I landed on my knees and both hands broke my forward fall onto grass. I think I was probably going like 7mph but there isn't anyway to be certain. I was breaking onto a grassy knowel from asphalt through a small opening in the curb. There was a hidden pothole in the muddy grass that sent me flying off the wheel forward.

My only injury was a mild scrape on my palm, and I was embarrassed for actually loosing control. When I tried to ride home, my wheel was in super extra soft mode; my Z10 would only go like 2 mph because it would make me tilt way to far forward if I tried to accelerate or way to far bacwards if I tried to brake.

I reset the posture and adjusted sensitivity and all is back to normal. I felt like the wheel put itself into a safety mode until I reset the posture calibration.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, earthtwin said:

I am learning to ride my electric unicycle better. Def not bored yet. Def not maxed speed yet. I'm not sure if my wheel is keeping track of odometer properly. I wonder if suspension would be more fun or not because of the way that I am learning to accelerate over bumps and grooves is starting to be second nature. I had my first 'face-plant' today.

It wasn't a full on face-plant because I landed on my knees and both hands broke my forward fall onto grass. I think I was probably going like 7mph but there isn't anyway to be certain. I was breaking onto a grassy knowel from asphalt through a small opening in the curb. There was a hidden pothole in the muddy grass that sent me flying off the wheel forward.

My only injury was a mild scrape on my palm, and I was embarrassed for actually loosing control. When I tried to ride home, my wheel was in super extra soft mode; my Z10 would only go like 2 mph because it would make me tilt way to far forward if I tried to accelerate or way to far bacwards if I tried to brake.

I reset the posture and adjusted sensitivity and all is back to normal. I felt like the wheel put itself into a safety mode until I reset the posture calibration.

Congrats to you - keep on riding, you're almost at the 1,000-mile mark!

The Z10 is a very challenging wheel to ride at speed at first, but easy to manage at 10mph or less. If you can ride the Z10 on mixed surfaces 15-25mph, other wheels will be easy for you in my opinion. Another issue with the Z10 is that it is brutal on the body - the low-profile stock tire transmits almost all shock into the rider's body.

For longer rides, suspension is the way to go. I definitely prefer the S22's suspension to the Z10's jackhammer ride, but I still love it, and my MCM5v2 (especially!).

• Like 1

I programmed it with the ninetool. @MRN76's firmware provides a longer lasting battery and I perceive more pep than the factory firmware. I switched back to factory firmware, but my wheel just wasn't very fun so I programmed it back to the mod. According to the segway app my top speed has only been 17.5 mph, but it feels like I have gone faster than that, maybe 22mph tops. But I weigh 240lbs so I don't think I will ever make to 34 mph.

I've had the mod programmed off an on for like 3 months now. One time my odometer flashed to like 1100 miles, then back to 700 miles then holds steady at like 814 miles. I think the ninetool affects the odometer and activation date.

Edited by earthtwin
one more thing
  • Like 1

interesting. I wanted to do the same a while back, but very few people posted about doing it. Then MRN76 stopped posting. I finally gave up the idea, after I had a cut-out at 29mph (butt plant fortunately) that destroyed my inner shell.