Appropriate motor hub sealant?

Phonoman

What's the "correct" sealant? I've heard of car window silicone as an option. Read up on that you probably should use non-acidic ones (that don't stink like vinegar) so that they don't eat your EUC parts while curing. But at the end I'm still confused while looking at billion types of silicones. 

Probably we don't want to seal it forever as bearings will get worn overtime, so should be something fairly easy to open up in future. 

You'd be a legend if you could also provide some examples of names/links for those in EU (as our market varies a lot from USA). 

I used good old Standard Gorilla General purpose silicone sealant, and that's doing OK, and didn't eat any bit of my EUC I applied it to ! Tends to sort of fall off on its own after about a year, which means it is easy to remove and obvious when it needs redoing !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I used good old Standard Gorilla General purpose silicone sealant, and that's doing OK, and didn't eat any bit of my EUC I applied it to ! Tends to sort of fall off on its own after about a year, which means it is easy to remove and obvious when it needs redoing !

Isn't it kinda bad to have loose garbage flinging around in the hub, tho? 

58 minutes ago, Phonoman said:

Isn't it kinda bad to have loose garbage flinging around in the hub, tho? 

It's not IN the hub, it's outside it. I didn't so much stick it together with silicone as just do a thin bead around the outer rim.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milordas said:

simple greese should do the job as well and easy to dissasemble the hub

I would advice against grease there, unless you relish the idea of sticking every passing bit of gravel and woodland to your motor hubs where they can damage or scratch the inner surfaces of your battery boxes... this is specifically why we silicone seal those bits instead of greasing them !

Conversely, it is a better (though still not great) idea to apply a thin film of marine grease to the bearing covers, where water exclusion is even more important - on a Master at least these are high enough up to be out of the way of the main detritus, though might still need some manual de-clogging after every wet ride... I find that is easily achieved with a long handled paintbrush or plastic ruler wrapped in microfibre cloth for example...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1