Beware low speed crashes...

The Brahan Seer

Thankyou @The Brahan Seerfor posting this important video. And thank you Adam U for creating this injury saving work. I will add a tip too: Ride the same route regularly and be extremely careful and slow, taking in all the potential hazards and learning the surfaces you will encounter. Don't get all crazy on a route that you don't know inside and out.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this video. Many important things we should all be aware of, and think about!

-------------------------------

Sidebar: Am I the only one who tenses up watching Adam ride his EUC with a long cape flowing behind him, just waiting to get tangled in the wheel?

To quote Edna Mode in The Incredibles: "NO CAPES!" :D

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Vanturion said:

I mean, am I *dick for pointing this out? 

No you aren't.

constructive truth-telling should never be discouraged.

* I assume you left out "being a" in your question. lol...

Edited by UPONIT
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Vanturion said:

I don't know, probably the most interesting thing to me about this video is the seemingly 8 year (or presumably near enough) evolution of progressively wearing more gear in these clips over time of an older/life-experienced guy who works in the medical field (doctor?) finally coming to the common sense position, ATGATT. That is one of possessing a healthy respect for the limitations of the human body, basic physics, and the ever-present risk that comes with riding on an EUC.

I mean, am I dick for pointing this out? You would think someone who works in healthcare would get this on day 2 or even week 1 of wheeling at the latest after getting over the initial wow-factor. Whatever, I'm not saying it's a bad video, just the opposite - some days though I really feel like I'm living on a separate planet here.

I like the short videos from @Ethereal . Yep, he's in the bone breaking industry - that is, putting them back together etc. I just think that he, like so many others, has had some time to understand the dangers of riding an EUC. And I have to be the first to admit that I wasn't a bit better myself at the start. Right up until my Ninebot threw me off at 8 mph on a concrete slab - 2 broken ribs - thanku Ninebot :facepalm: . But it's the same as reading along in this forum, where a few ore more hardcore riders don't quite think that safety equipment is for them... no names mentioned, no pain no gain   :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

* I assume you left out "being a" in your question. lol...

haha derp, yes thank you. Just gonna leave it now.

8 minutes ago, Robse said:

Yep, he's in the bone breaking industry - that is, putting them back together etc

^me right now.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I  bought a used V12 a couple of weeks ago for golf and I've played several rounds without incident.  Today on two occasions, the  EUC started leaning to the right and I wasnt able to correct it.  I had to bail and watch the wheel spin at high speed laying on its side.  Later in the round I was descendiing on a cart path and had to make a fairly tight slow speed turn that was tighter than I could handle.  I wound up bailing again but felt a bit foolish.  The folks I was playing with must have wondered why a 77 year old would take those chances.  I can understand the last incident as being my fault  but the earlier falls were mystifying.  My golf bag is fairly heavy and maybe the golf balls in the bottom pocket of the bag created some imbalance. It's never happened before but I may switch to a lightweight Sunday bag for tomorrow.  I'm enjoying getting in 18 holes in under two hours so I don't want to give it up.  Do you have any ideas why I couldn't correct a lean to the right?  

19 minutes ago, gymnast1946 said:

I  bought a used V12 a couple of weeks ago for golf and I've played several rounds without incident.  Today on two occasions, the  EUC started leaning to the right and I wasnt able to correct it.  I had to bail and watch the wheel spin at high speed laying on its side.  Later in the round I was descendiing on a cart path and had to make a fairly tight slow speed turn that was tighter than I could handle.  I wound up bailing again but felt a bit foolish.  The folks I was playing with must have wondered why a 77 year old would take those chances.  I can understand the last incident as being my fault  but the earlier falls were mystifying.  My golf bag is fairly heavy and maybe the golf balls in the bottom pocket of the bag created some imbalance. It's never happened before but I may switch to a lightweight Sunday bag for tomorrow.  I'm enjoying getting in 18 holes in under two hours so I don't want to give it up.  Do you have any ideas why I couldn't correct a lean to the right?  

Do you have the stock knobby tire on it? The channels in that tire can make the wheel feel like it's train tracking at certain angles on certain surfaces, like a higher friction grass course?

I would think a golf bag would be VERY unwieldy and balance-challenging on an EUC.

Regarding the high speed spin on its side: this is a known "bug" of some InMotion wheels (V12 and V13 at least). They occasionally spin like crazy when laying flat on their side after they fall over. Lasts a couple seconds. Disturbing but not dangerous.

I too have noticed that on rare occasions ANY wheel I'm riding will all of a sudden feel like it is leaning (almost stuck) to one leg or the other.  I can't get it to feel all the way upright. But it doesn't affect anything, so I just ride through it, with my body at a slight yaw to compensate. I have just assumed it is my inner ear or some other bodily system misbehaving?

I don't know if any of these seem like possible explanations, but hopefully it happens less the more miles you put in. 

Also, don't the groundskeepers hate you for defiling their precious grass?!?:D

----------------------

To go WAY out in the weeds on the subject...You may be aware of this already, but I think it is important and interesting enough to mention for us older riders:

The way we balance (and are aware of our spatial orientation and acceleration) is through the vestibular system in the inner ear. Very much worth reading about. TLDR: the otolithic organs and the semicircular canals all are filled with fluid that is a vital part of the mechanics. That fluid is sealed into the system when it is first formed and is not replaced or renewed throughout our lives. As we get older, the fluid thickens (in addition to wear and tear on the "stones" and cilia, etc.) and the system becomes less quick and accurate. I first found this out when I started wondering why I felt so beat up and worn out after riding roller coasters the older I got.

That is the main decrease of function that affects the otherwise normal older EUC rider, I believe. It occasionally causes "blips" that may not be otherwise apparent, but are noticeable in the unique situation of EUC riding. I relate it to that sensation when you are balancing on one leg to put on pants, and out of nowhere you just keel to one side really quick, requiring you to put the other foot down hard. 

Just another way that EUC riding is more challenging for those over 50. But at least they came along while we are alive and kicking!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Thanks for the very helpful reply!

Do you have the stock knobby tire on it? The channels in that tire can make the wheel feel like it's train tracking at certain angles on certain surfaces, like a higher friction grass course?

Yep, stock knobby

Also, don't the groundskeepers hate you for defiling their precious grass?!?:D

Actually, he thinks it's pretty cool.  I can go anywhere a push cart goes.

----------------------

To go WAY out in the weeds on the subject...You may be aware of this already, but I think it is important and interesting enough to mention for us older riders:

The way we balance (and are aware of our spatial orientation and acceleration) is through the vestibular system in the inner ear. Very much worth reading about. TLDR: the otolithic organs and the semicircular canals all are filled with fluid that is a vital part of the mechanics. That fluid is sealed into the system when it is first formed and is not replaced or renewed throughout our lives. As we get older, the fluid thickens (in addition to wear and tear on the "stones" and cilia, etc.) and the system becomes less quick and accurate. I first found this out when I started wondering why I felt so beat up and worn out after riding roller coasters the older I got.

That is the main decrease of function that affects the otherwise normal older EUC rider, I believe. It occasionally causes "blips" that may not be otherwise apparent, but are noticeable in the unique situation of EUC riding. I relate it to that sensation when you are balancing on one leg to put on pants, and out of nowhere you just keel to one side really quick, requiring you to put the other foot down hard. 

Ealier that day I did have a brief bout with vertigo.  It's a very rare occurance for me but I had to sit down for a couple of minutes before it went away,  I was thinking after the round that that might have been a factor.  I think you confirmed it.  

Up until I was in my sixties I used to ride around twelve miles at a time on a traditional unicycle so I'm fairly comfortable on it.  I'll switch a lighter weight bag today and see how it goes.  Here's a short clip taken a few days ago using the lighter bag.  You'll note that I only have the left power pad.  That's intentional.  I'm not comfortable sliding my right foot on the footrest buit need the left one to get leverage to climb hiils on our hilly course.  That arrangement works fine.

Edited by gymnast1946
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gymnast1946 said:

it's just lack of experience 😉.  When i started to ride EUC, and even after month of practise and +2000 km, i could still be shaken to nearly crashing by sudden winds, or unseen bumps in the road. Now after many years and +20000 km of wheeling nothing can shake me anymore. Can you ride on paved road and do the windmill with both arms without crashing? i can😁

• Like 1

THAT VIDEO is WONDERFUL!  I confess I am surprised that the club is allowing you to ride it, but I am truly impressed with your ingenuity.  What a great bit of PR work!  No young hooligans racing through NYC here, just a gentleman playing golf!  BRAVO!

And yeah ... our balance is not what it used to be.  We respond more slowly, aren't as strong nor flexible, so the margin of error is less.  As a brand new rider I am having to consciously remind myself "chin up" so the vestibular apparatus is properly 'in plane'.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 12:35 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

in preparation for surgery.

....... where you see a lot of broken bones?....... like where the surgeons and anesthesiologists are making money from fixing people with broken bones...... in a business.....

Edited by Vanturion

1 minute ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

But i see you are on a bit of a tear tonight so we will leave it at that.

Yeah, I saw that and couldn't resist. No offense, low-hanging fruit and all. Gonna step away from the computer now haha.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vanturion said:

Yeah, I saw that and couldn't resist. No offense, low-hanging fruit and all. Gonna step away from the computer now haha.

All good, I had just got done reading your last post..:lol: and was like ooo, a shot over the bow. for me to...haha I usually agree with 98% of your posts anyway.:D

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:08 PM, gymnast1946 said:

Today on two occasions, the  EUC started leaning to the right and I wasnt able to correct it

Aside from knobby tires (likely culprit), wind can also cause quite the unexpected difficulties as EUC's act like land based sails. The first time I road on a windy day I found that I couldn't turn left, and my EUC wanted to go right. I almost crashed into the curb before doing an emergency brake. Ever since that time I always ride a lot slower on windy days, and I know to expect, and counter it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, skunkmonkey said:

Aside from knobby tires (likely culprit), wind can also cause quite the unexpected difficulties as EUC's act like land based sails. The first time I road on a windy day I found that I couldn't turn left, and my EUC wanted to go right. I almost crashed into the curb before doing an emergency braIke. Ever since that time I always ride a lot slower on windy days, and I know to expect, and counter it.

I am about to order a street tire for my A2, as I know Marty complained about the knobby as did others on his 'group review' of it.

• Like 1