If you live in CA, defeat AB 530

chroma

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240AB530

If you live in CA, we must defeat this before it becomes law, heavy regulation of ebikes will most likely lead to the regulation of all PEV's. Let's not let that happen. This bill has nothing to do with safety, but control. Criminalizing folks for using electric alternatives does not lead to a greener tomorrow.

Honestly kinda sick of the 13 year olds doing wheelies at 30mph on sur ron's on public roads without any training, so I'm for this and would get a license for my device.

We're still under AB604 for scooters that are limited to 1000 watts and 20mph anyway.

• Like 1

license, registration, and insurance. I hope you are ready to pay for that too.  If you want to stop kids from riding sur ron's ticket the parents, don't punish me.

6 minutes ago, chroma said:

license, registration, and insurance. I hope you are ready to pay for that too

absolutely would do it in a heartbeat if it let me ride my S22 legally and wasn't unreasonably priced, just don't have that option.

16 minutes ago, chanman said:

Honestly kinda sick of the 13 year olds doing wheelies at 30mph on sur ron's on public roads without any training, so I'm for this and would get a license for my device.

We're still under AB604 for scooters that are limited to 1000 watts and 20mph anyway.

Here in NYC the situation is not only lawless but it is also just outright third world status. It has become completely common to see unregistered e-scooters (sit down type) on pubic highways and when on city streets blowing through lights and going the wrong way. Fortunately going the wrong way is the least common of those offenses because it is also easily the most dangerous (yes, more dangerous than going through red lights).

The city government has no problem going after registered and licensed operators but they do little to nothing about the illegal riders on e-scooters. In addition to the problem with e-scooters on highways it has also become a problem with teenage bicyclists riding on local interstate highways. They ride along in belligerent defiance doing wheels down the middle of the lane. This city is what the third world looks and operates like.

Edited by Roadpower
  • Upvote 1

money has always been the issue. Besides, ebikes are already regulated, adding more regulation will only hurt the law abiding citizen. It will not solve the problem.

Just now, chroma said:

money has always been the issue. Besides, ebikes are already regulated, adding more regulation will only hurt the law abiding citizen. It will not solve the problem.

There are already laws on the books that are not being enforced here in NYC. I'd wager that the same is true for CA.

1 minute ago, Roadpower said:

There are already laws on the books that are not being enforced here in NYC. I'd wager that the same is true for CA.

That is the point that I am trying to make, we already have laws, the problem is the enforcement. More regulation will not have an impact, it will only make riding PEV's more expensive for everyone else. We shouldn't become a place where PEV's get confiscated for not having insurance or a license.

• Like 1

We don't have laws enforcing requirement for age and driving licenses and helmets for things that are essentially small motorcycles, other than the age and helmet requirements on class 3, and that where this comes in. There also is no mention of registration or insurance here so you're just slippery sloping it to everyone getting their toys taken away.

Edited by chanman

yeah i had to qualify that there is an age and helmet requirement for class 3, but still no requirement for a driving license or anything for class 1 and 2, which is why this law is here.

Edited by chanman

All electric bicycle classes are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, DL, and license plate requirements (CVC §24016).

This bill is nothing but a money grab.

Edited by chroma

11 minutes ago, chroma said:

That is the point that I am trying to make, we already have laws, the problem is the enforcement. More regulation will not have an impact, it will only make riding PEV's more expensive for everyone else. We shouldn't become a place where PEV's get confiscated for not having insurance or a license.

Egalitarian run cities and states are schizophrenic when it comes to law enforcement...

Just now, chanman said:

God forbid anyone regulate anything, it's just a money grab to try to teach kids not to kill themselves or others.

Why should I be responsible for other people's kids? The parents of those kids should be responsible for their own.

6 minutes ago, chroma said:

Why should I be responsible for other people's kids

Because they'll run into you on your EUC going the wrong way or pulling a left turn unsafely or kill your kid that was riding shotgun when they dump the bike at 30mph without helmets.

Anyway you probably won't be, this law doesn't even apply to us because again, we're not bikes, we're under AB604. It doesn't cost you tax money because the licensing and teaching will be optional and probably paid for by said parents of kid with bikes, and you probably already have your driving license if for some reason it gets applied to us. And if you don't you get to learn the rules of the road too I guess.

Edited by chanman