Michelin Pilot Street 2 Tire Direction Debate

WILSONEUC

Hi I have installed the MPS2 two different ways: Tire tread "arrows" pointing down, and tire tread arrows facing up. 

Some people say to follow the directional orientation given on the tire as if it was a front or back tire.
Some prefer the tire pointing down, or the tire pointing up. Each direction installed you are in the wrong for how you installed the tire!

So , let's settle this objectively and let's get the facts :  What direction should the tread point to when installing MPS2, and why? 

Lets debate !

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WILSONEUC said:

Hi I have installed the MPS2 two different ways: Tire tread "arrows" pointing down, and tire tread arrows facing up. 

Some people say to follow the directional orientation given on the tire as if it was a front or back tire.
Some prefer the tire pointing down, or the tire pointing up. Each direction installed you are in the wrong for how you installed the tire!

So , let's settle this objectively and let's get the facts :  What direction should the tread point to when installing MPS2, and why? 

Lets debate !

I'm not sure what the "correct " direction it is to have the tire but on my Sherman S I have the tread arrows (MPS2) facing down because its a rear tire, same with my V11 although that is running a MPS1 rear tire.

• Like 1

i have one on the v-13 and i have it facing the arrows which looks like this head on \/. I feel like it's best for channeling the water away from the center when riding in the rain. Aside from that i don't really think it matters. I am using it off road as well and its only bane would be mud or wet roots. Maybe slightly more traction the other way?

Like every other flat earth debate, this should never be a debate, it severely affects handling & wear, you're riding on one tire, & seriously, if your EUC goes over 45kph, why screw around with that. There is a reason some engineering made that direction arrow necessary, just install the tire with the arrow direction the EUC is typically going & carry on

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Supakatt said:

There is a reason some engineering made that direction arrow necessary, just install the tire with the arrow direction the EUC is typically going & carry on

You are missing the point. Some tires has two direction arrows pointing opposite, depending on whether it’s installed as rear or front tire. 

On 7/28/2023 at 1:31 AM, WILSONEUC said:

Lets debate !

This debate should include other tires as well. I have the City Grip 2 and it also has a V shape treads and instructions for installing as a rear or front. I don’t think we should debate much whether EUCs have a rear or front tire. It’s either both or none of them. What matters is do you need more grip when accelerating or when braking. My line of thinking was that it’s very unlikely that I ride in very wet conditions and if I do end up in bad weather accidentally, I’m not riding very hard and it doesn’t really matter. I ended up choosing to install as a rear tire. So looking like V pointing down when viewed from front. Just for looks. But I would love to see a test whether the direction affects ride feel or turning behaviour on dry asphalt. If it does, that’s the only good guide for us. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tires for moto/scooters is 2 types, front wheel and rear wheel. Front wheel have always reverse thread to reduce vibrations on front wheel. Thats why "arrows" (V shape) pointing in different direction as rotation arrow shows. EUC need rear tire, as it traction wheel. So if you unsure what tire you have, look at its thread and mount to point thread "arrows" down if looking from front view, to push water from tire center to outside.

Discusion close :)

Edited by Milordas

On 8/25/2023 at 10:18 AM, Milordas said:

Tires for moto/scooters is 2 types, front wheel and rear wheel. Front wheel have always reverse thread to reduce vibrations on front wheel. Thats why "arrows" (V shape) pointing in different direction as rotation arrow shows. EUC need rear tire, as it traction wheel. So if you unsure what tire you have, look at its thread and mount to point thread "arrows" down if looking from front view, to push water from tire center to outside.

Discusion close :)

Make sense to me, i have my arrows down too lol Butttt....i know some people who have their arrows pointing up....and say it is the right way......

this is the purpose of this post to settle this all once and for all....     For me im sticking with the tread pattern facing down. 

4 minutes ago, WILSONEUC said:

Make sense to me, i have my arrows down too lol Butttt....i know some people who have their arrows pointing up....and say it is the right way......

this is the purpose of this post to settle this all once and for all....     For me im sticking with the tread pattern facing down. 

thats because they using front moto tire, ie. Michelin 

Edited by Milordas
  • Like 1