Need helmet recommendations.

https://www.brakefreetech.com/
My buddy has one of those on his helmet and it’s decent. It also has an integrated braking light built in as well. You can buy a good quality helmet and put it on. 👍👍

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

That is suspiciously cheap for a modular front lift helmet, and my experience of those (although it doesn't include this one specifically) is bad. I went through a few cheapy ones like this, and, whilst you can sometimes get lucky with fit, and sometimes they seem quite solidly built, I had to send all mine back because at least one of the basic functions wouldn't work reliably. Front lift sections don't hold properly in the up position and keep dropping down when you ride, padding is not as tight, removable, or comfortable as better brands, sun visors don't move nicely, or stay in position and they tend to fog up really easily etc etc, so these things quickly become annoying and in some cases unworkable. If you want to ride in wet conditions at all I would say pinlock system is essential for example, and cheaper helmets don't tend to have this either.

The brake light functionality you are looking for also demands a bit more cash if you want the elegant solutions like app-free, movement sensing independent units that are truly bright enough for road use. I like the brakefreetech system best in that regard, although it is a bit bulky for me, and decent helmets are already quite heavy and bulky before you add stuff to them.

I've gone for new version of an old classic the Scorpion ADX-2 (At960 in US), which is excellent in all regards. But that, + an LED brake system is likely to cost you upwards of $400.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Cerbera said:

That is suspiciously cheap for a modular front lift helmet, and my experience of those (although it doesn't include this one specifically) is bad. I went through a few cheapy ones like this, and, whilst you can sometimes get lucky with fit, and sometimes they seem quite solidly built, I had to send all mine back because at least one of the basic functions wouldn't work reliably. Front lift sections don't hold properly in the up position and keep dropping down when you ride, padding is not as tight, removable, or comfortable as better brands, sun visors don't move nicely, or stay in position and they tend to fog up really easily etc etc, so these things quickly become annoying and in some cases unworkable. If you want to ride in wet conditions at all I would say pinlock system is essential for example, and cheaper helmets don't tend to have this either.

The brake light functionality you are looking for also demands a bit more cash if you want the elegant solutions like app-free, movement sensing independent units that are truly bright enough for road use. I like the brakefreetech system best in that regard, although it is a bit bulky for me, and decent helmets are already quite heavy and bulky before you add stuff to them.

I've gone for new version of an old classic the Scorpion ADX-2 (At960 in US), which is excellent in all regards. But that, + an LED brake system is likely to cost you upwards of $400.

Are you still using the ADX-2?

On 7/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, Cerbera said:

Yeah, I actually bought that helmet and the large was too large, and the medium was too small so I had to return them. They had a “DOT certified“ stickers but from what I understand, it’s kinda bullshit

• 2 weeks later...

Many Nolan helmets have an option for an integrated brake light in the spot normally reserved for a communicator. I liked N100-5 for my head size and shape, but YMMV.

Edited by superox

On 05/07/2023 at 02:15, Hellkitten said:

https://www.brakefreetech.com/
Mon pote en a un sur son casque et c'est correct. Il dispose également d'un feu de freinage intégré. Vous pouvez acheter un casque de bonne qualité et le mettre. 👍 👍

I will try this. I am a biker too with different helmets. Thanks.

• Like 1

Caveat emptor that this works best if you already have experience evaluating the trustworthiness of sellers, but I have had good success with finding helmets on Facebook Marketplace. I picked up a lightly used, non-crashed HJC i90 along with with a mesh padded riding jacket and gloves for $100 total from (let's call them) "country club types" who just wanted to get the stuff out of their garage.

• Like 1