potential by-products from having interchangeable battery packs

bpong

i cant see any drawbacks from having the swappable battery packs other than the obvious wear and tear on the connectors.  and the odd occasion were a battery pack may accidentally come loose and simply fall off the euc,  depending on the riding situation.

for all those ambitious individuals, and curious hobbyists,  i do see alot of opportunities for experimentation though...

especially if there is access to a quality 3D printer,  someone with the time and money may reverse engineer an inmotion battery pack to see how its constructed and how the batteries are organized in the pack.  from there,  the fun begins.

- create/design a 3D printed battery holder(s) to allow the use of alternative battery choices and configurations

- create/design an alternative battery box that has customizable options for various mods like device mounting, and pad mounting, etc,...

i know it sounds abit far fetched,  but from what ive seen in social media,  any thing is possible.  of course the major drawback is voiding the warranty of your euc,  and possibly destroying your euc too...

2 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

The diy electric skateboard scene has done exactly this for the past few years. 👍

yes, i met someone at a group ride (before the ride itself) and i saw this eskate rider on his diy board.  quite nicely set up plus a pelican box for a battery case which i thought was totally the way to enclose those batteries !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Riding on multiple wheels, there's no risk in cutting power.

That's one reason.

Another is that the manufacturers likely don't want the hassle of designing and to provide more parts and support. You need to provide packs, mounting brackets etc.

Realistically, I think we could one day see something. But I'd guess that there'll be a non-removable pack and a separate one that can be removed. This so that contact failure doesn't lead to a power cutout. 

However, that solution introduces a second problem of multiple packs needing to be at the same charge level before they can be connected. To provide safety against mis-matched packs being connected together the manufacturer needs to create extra circuitry and thus more failure modes. Maybe it's simply not worth the risk.

A more realistic solution is to have a portable third party pack with an internal dc-dc converter that connects to the charge port while riding or when you're stopped (depending on if your wheel supports charging while riding or not).

That way it's like a powerbank.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

My comment in the thread on the direction Inmotion is taking pretty much summarizes my take on how many potential issues with removable packs could be addressed. I am very much pro-DIY but I could see some flaws in for example any safety features in firmware that account for the amount of cycles a pack has, where a DIY pack is unlikely to have this tracked in any internal BMS.

However, I would imagine the ability to balance charge between packs, or just charge them appropriately should be fine as long as a pack is wired correctly, uses compatible connectors, and appropriately spec’d cells that are able to support the stock charging current and the discharge demands of the wheels.

I wouldn’t be surprised, however, if Inmotion ends up not letting wheels run with detectably DIY packs. If so, I’d hope it’d be possible to spoof however Inmotion chooses to recognize their own packs and worst case that people release custom firmwares allowing for DIY packs.

As far as this point goes:

4 hours ago, alcatraz said:

But I'd guess that there'll be a non-removable pack and a separate one that can be removed. This so that contact failure doesn't lead to a power cutout. 

I can see cause for concern, especially with a more high-fidelity system that relies on high current contacts. If the method of applying pressure to the packs to keep them connected isn’t as reliable as bolting them down, we could see random disconnects being more commonplace. Something like a button click detent lock or so might end up being a bit less reliable and issue prone in this regard.

However, this is also actually a strength of using a less refined and less convenient system with solid RC connectors (as are already used in many wheels to connect the battery) that we already know are robust and not prone to coming apart. Bolting the battery down with any decent design would basically result in it being as secure as a traditionally installed one anyways, and I would imagine it’d make waterproofing slightly easier to account for. This is allegedly what prototype Inmotion is already working on and I actually don’t mind the idea of it too much, but some method of tool-less removal that still uses an RC-type connector with dangling wires you need to connect manually would be nice. Thumbscrews are probably the easiest way to directly translate their current designs but they also need to be able to get enough leverage to make sure they aren’t at risk of vibrating out during riding.

Edited by Flygonial
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, bpong said:

i cant see any drawbacks from having the swappable battery packs other than the obvious wear and tear on the connectors.  and the odd occasion were a battery pack may accidentally come loose and simply fall off the euc,  depending on the riding situation.

Not sure if you really serious or not even trying..

On 5/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, bpong said:

- create/design a 3D printed battery holder(s) to allow the use of alternative battery choices and configurations

- create/design an alternative battery box that has customizable options for various mods like device mounting, and pad mounting, etc,...

i know it sounds abit far fetched,  but from what ive seen in social media,  any thing is possible.  of course the major drawback is voiding the warranty of your euc,  and possibly destroying your euc too...

If you really want to you can already do this. What is stopping you now? Get Extreme Bull X-men. It's the basic of the basic constructions. you can build whatever you want on it. Design your own shape of the battery box. 3D print shit, put a easy release connector on the motor/battery cables. It's just a cable no one is stopping you to cut it and add a connector..

7 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Not sure if you really serious or not even trying..

If you really want to you can already do this. What is stopping you now? Get Extreme Bull X-men. It's the basic of the basic constructions. you can build whatever you want on it. Design your own shape of the battery box. 3D print shit, put a easy release connector on the motor/battery cables. It's just a cable no one is stopping you to cut it and add a connector..

well, nothing is stopping me other than waiting for inmotion to finally release their adventure euc to the public....thats when the commotion will begin...

safe riding for 2023 season !!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe what we need is a third party device that reliably protects against high currents between the internal pack and an external pack port. 

Like an automatic fuse, or current limiting circuit. Then maybe it's idiot proof. You can't melt wires etc. If only it could block the external pack from being charged through the wheel. That could be dangerous if high voltage protection doesn't work.

• Upvote 1