T4 or Patton? Advice needed

carlitos

I have been riding my MSX V2 for a couple of years now and would love to upgrade to a suspension wheel.

These massive wheels are not very appealing to me, so that's why I find the T4 attractive. However, even with the upgrades of the T4 v2, and coming from a Begode wheel, I just don't know if I want to tinker with my wheel. I just want something that works, so that I can put my free time on riding and not on modding (so far I have seen people printing front and rear bumpers, upgrading the suspension to the NyloNove ones, etc.).

This Veteran Patton seems like an ok form factor, even though the weight is heavy. But what's attractive to me about that wheel is the build quality (water proofing and overall sturdiness). We all know that Leaperkim produces fine, long lasting, zero frill wheels, like the legendary Veteran Sherman.

For that very reason I am willing to ignore the weight and go for the Patton.

But if the T4 v2 is ready to ride out of the box (seems like you still need to do some water proofing around the charge port and what not, hopefully not as traumatic as the waterproofing job that needed to be done on my MSX) then I would prefer that, as it's way lighter.

I don't know what to do. I'm hoping to hear from experienced riders so that I can make up my mind.

Thanks in advance

EDIT 1: Fix typos and expand on what mods people are doing on the T4

Edited by carlitos

coming from the power of a MSX, you'd want to go with the patton.

The T4 will seem under powered. 
Some reviews of the patton say that you can't feel the weight when riding.  And feels more nimble due to it being 16"

Do you need to lift the wheel?

I'm in the same situation and I feel like I want to go down from 18 to 16. (zippyness, effortless control)

I'm hoping there are going to be more 16in wheels so we have more choices. The T4 is looking really good but I'm not looking forward to lugging 30kg up stairs.

If they can build an S18 at 24kg and it being 18in, then it seems that it isn't too much to ask to build a 16in at 25kg thereabout. Maybe use 18650 cells and do 134v 1650Wh at only 6.5kg for the entire pack. 

6 hours ago, Murdomeek said:

The T4 will seem under powered.

That's a surprising fact! I would have expected that with a smaller rim (16" vs 19"), bigger motor (2500W vs 2000W) and higher voltage (100V vs 84V), that the wheel would be zippier and not more sluggish. Why do you think this is so?

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Do you need to lift the wheel?

I'm in the same situation and I feel like I want to go down from 18 to 16. (zippyness, effortless control)

I'm hoping there are going to be more 16in wheels so we have more choices. The T4 is looking really good but I'm not looking forward to lugging 30kg up stairs.

If they can build an S18 at 24kg and it being 18in, then it seems that it isn't too much to ask to build a 16in at 25kg thereabout. Maybe use 18650 cells and do 134v 1650Wh at only 6.5kg for the entire pack. 

I do need to lift the wheel, yes. 2 stories up. It's already cumbersome with the MSX. Can't even begin to imagine how it's going to be with the new wheel, whatever it ends up being (maybe the way you have to lift the MSX is what makes it difficult?). eevee's review shows them lifting the wheel upstairs not effortlessly but it does seem doable, apparently from the wheel geometry and the handle bars.