Jump pad positioning question

Weatherman159

So I recently got the big Grizzla Flow pads for my S22. I am quite happy with the 'power' (front top) and 'braking' (rear) parts of them, accelerating, braking and even control in turns is all enhanced. However, what I was most looking forward to was the 'jump' part of the pads (front bottom), hoping that they would help me with taking bigger drops without my feet leaving the pedals, and maybe even help with actually jumping this beast UP some obstacles (curbs etc.).

So far however, that has been quite a disappointment. I placed the pads as low as I could while still being able to actually fit my foot between the pad and pedal, but that still leaves a slight gap, so when I take a drop, my feet still move around. I was hoping I could get some tips on what I might be doing wrong.

Also of note, when my feet are positioned comfortably on the pedals, the larger part of them isn't actually under the pad (see attached picture). Mybe that is part of the problem...?

IMG_20230413_153812041.jpg

1 hour ago, Weatherman159 said:

when I take a drop, my feet still move around.

I’m not sure if you can achieve a total glued-in no-movement setup. If you would, you wouldn’t be able to take your foot off, would you? As long as the pads are positioned in a way that only let your feet move in an area that’s usable for riding, I think you’re good.

How are your pedals though? Maybe the studs are not working well for you?  

Disclaimer: I don’t use foot-locking pads myself, but the rare 1-foot drops that I might take don’t move my feet more than what’s comfortable for me. I don’t know if it’s a technique thing or what.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, Weatherman159 said:

So I recently got the big Grizzla Flow pads for my S22. I am quite happy with the 'power' (front top) and 'braking' (rear) parts of them, accelerating, braking and even control in turns is all enhanced. However, what I was most looking forward to was the 'jump' part of the pads (front bottom), hoping that they would help me with taking bigger drops without my feet leaving the pedals, and maybe even help with actually jumping this beast UP some obstacles (curbs etc.).

So far however, that has been quite a disappointment. I placed the pads as low as I could while still being able to actually fit my foot between the pad and pedal, but that still leaves a slight gap, so when I take a drop, my feet still move around. I was hoping I could get some tips on what I might be doing wrong.

Also of note, when my feet are positioned comfortably on the pedals, the larger part of them isn't actually under the pad (see attached picture). Mybe that is part of the problem...?

IMG_20230413_153812041.jpg

Having your feet fully fixed is not possible in an EUC. Having like 2 centimeters is ok.

• Upvote 1

I feel like the pedals are fine. I'm planning on getting a pair of Nylonove (or possibly erides - can't really decide between the two) whenever they are in stock again, but who knows when that will be. In the meantime the default will have to do. I guess maybe my expectations were too high for the foot locking via pads, I'm going to experiment some more with them and see.

Edited by Weatherman159
  • Like 1

I actually tried a friend’s wheel in a local meet just yesterday to test the tire. His shoes are flatter than mine, so the vertical space for my feet was very shallow.

Yeah, it did nearly lock down my feet, and I imagine they would’ve moved very little on jumps. But it was darn frightening to get on and especially to get off, even when doing it planned, calmly and decidedly. It could’ve easily caused severe danger if I had to unmount fast or in any kind of suboptimal manner.

So, locking feet vertically: Definitely not recommended.

• Upvote 1