EX30 charging behavior (split from Extreme thread)

3 hours ago, Monoxplorer said:

I have over 800 miles on my EX30, have zero issues with it. I'm having an absolute blast, a couple friends of mine also absolutely love theirs and haven't complained about them.

Encouraging to hear.

Just wondering about the charging issues that Marty has been complaining about in his video, do you consider the power distribution board charging characteristics in the EX30, a defect or a feature?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

Encouraging to hear.

Just wondering about the charging issues that Marty has been complaining about in his video, do you consider the power distribution board charging characteristics in the EX30, a defect or a feature?

I generally ride, let it "cool off" a bit, and either charge in the evening and unplug it, or leave  it charged overnight and generally ride within a day or so, and voltage stays 134.4. I did charge it once and got covid so didn't ride about a week or bit more, and voltage dropped to about 132.5-132.8, or 97-98%. So not bad if it helps prolong battery life, but if I know I won't ride the next day due to weather or whatever I don't charge it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Monoxplorer said:

I generally ride, let it "cool off" a bit, and either charge in the evening and unplug it, or leave  it charged overnight and generally ride within a day or so, and voltage stays 134.4. I did charge it once and got covid so didn't ride about a week or bit more, and voltage dropped to about 132.5-132.8, or 97-98%. So not bad if it helps prolong battery life, but if I know I won't ride the next day due to weather or whatever I don't charge it.  

Interesting, your charging characteristic is different from the EX30's down in SoCal. Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Interesting, your charging characteristic is different from the EX30's down in SoCal. Thanks. 

Yeah Seattle, If it'll rain all day the next day I won't ride and won't charge lol otherwise I try to use regular charger, if I do need quicker charge I'll plug in my Master charger and 6amp still charges fairly quickly. However 50-60+ mile range is good for me, so I rarely ride twice in one day. My 1st day that's what I did though, went early in day and then friends called me out so I went for a night ride, 108 miles on 1st full day, I was so tired lol especially because of new heavier wheel that my body wasn't used to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monoxplorer said:

Yeah Seattle, If it'll rain all day the next day I won't ride and won't charge lol otherwise I try to use regular charger, if I do need quicker charge I'll plug in my Master charger and 6amp still charges fairly quickly. However 50-60+ mile range is good for me, so I rarely ride twice in one day. My 1st day that's what I did though, went early in day and then friends called me out so I went for a night ride, 108 miles on 1st full day, I was so tired lol especially because of new heavier wheel that my body wasn't used to.

Sorry, by your charging characteristics, I meant the charger/power distribution board/BMS itself.

Apparently, Marty's EX30 stock setup cannot charge fully to 134.4 V, and even with the wheel not powered on, the battery self-drains more rapidly than what one would be expect.

• Sad 1

Here is Begode's "Official Response".  Got this in a response from Ewheels to an email in which I was asking about the charging characteristics and if Begode will implement a fix for this...

"Finally for the charge end-point, I know there's been quite a bit of discussion & videos about this, e.g. Marty, but as the voltage is increased, the probability of a ~1V variance is quite normal. BG released this statement about the topic last week. "

0e283b832ec5db2469b473a39166f31.jpg