Range of Molicel S18 v2 (2023) ?

Tokumeino

Hi, some vendors sell the S18 v2 (2023, with the new hollow motor) with Molicel batteries. I've asked one of them (oneride.eu) and they told me that these are official Kingsong builds, not custom. But they couldn't answer the following question, and Kinsong (global) doesn't answer my emails.

Molicel have less capacity but provide more current at lower voltage. So, there should be less need to be conservative wrt max speed at 30% and lower battery levels. As a result, if one is concerned by range with decent max speed and not range with reduced max speed, Molicel version may paradoxically provide more range. However, this may be true only if the firmware is adapted so as to lower the voltage threshold when speed limit drops. Hence my question...

At which percentage does the max speed drop with Molicel S18v2 SE ? Still 30%, 20% or 10% ?

Edited by Tokumeino

1 hour ago, Tokumeino said:

Hi, some vendors sell the S18 v2 (2023, with the new hollow motor) with Molicel batteries. I've asked one of them (oneride.eu) and they told me that these are official Kingsong builds, not custom. But they couldn't answer the following question, and Kinsong (global) doesn't answer my emails.

Molicel have less capacity but provide more current at lower voltage. So, there should be less need to be conservative wrt max speed at 30% and lower battery levels. As a result, if one is concerned by range with decent max speed and not range with reduced max speed, Molicel version may paradoxically provide more range. However, this may be true only if the firmware is adapted so as to lower the voltage threshold when speed limit drops. Hence my question...

At which percentage does the max speed drop with Molicel S18v2 SE ? Still 30%, 20% or 10% ?

I would not trust any EUC at max speed when going below 30%.... easy for me to say though as I have my S18 set to max-beeps at 35 kph. When I drop below 30% I do not exceed 25 kph.

I ask max speeds wrt percentage to put things simple. I actually also keep a safety margin. Regardless, Molicel batteries can deliver more power at lowest voltage than regular batteries at highest. That's the whole point of Molicel cells or equivalents. And I'm specificaly asking about Molicel S18, not regular.

If Kingsong does not tune their firmware to lower battery thresholds for max speeds, then you get all disavantages of Molicel witout critical advantages, and it is mostly useless.

Regardless what safety margin one beleives adequate, I'd like some input to draw a graph with x=batt% and y=maxspeed. Then, anybody may draw his own conclusions/decisions.

Edited by Tokumeino
  • Like 1