Helmet

I have the first one of those 2 and have been testing it extensively over the last few weeks...

You can see my fairly comprehensive initial thoughts on that over on the last few pages in the helmet thread, but I can summarize here if it helps.

Scorpion ADX-2 (AT960) Pros / Cons for EUC

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Modular
  • Drop-down Aviator shades cool AF.
  • Well made / solidly built
  • All switches / sliders / visors firm and positive and stay where put.
  • Pinlock system (screen included but not fitted) does incredible job of keeping outer visor clear.
  • 'Easy to use in gloves' ratchet fastener
  • Removable peak
  • Good range of sexier visors available - I have the chrome
  • Helpful 'split airflow' vent design
  • Very good noise reduction / isolation
  • Pre-fitted with cutouts for audio systems / removeable cheek pads
  • Lockable in open position (complies with incoming 2024 law allowing 'legal' riding with front flipped).
  • Wind / other noise seems very 'low-pass filtered', which is sometimes helpful (high wind / busy roads) and sometimes not (trying to hear people talking at you)

Cons

• Big and heavy - 1.8 KG without peak (but you get used to it)
  • Hot in Summer unless visors open
  • Inner visor fogs in cold / wet weather and is hard to clear
  • Reduced vertical Field of View since previous AD-950 version
  • View does feel quite restricted initially, especially compared to TSG Pass (I also have that)
  • Hearing people speak is difficult unless front flipped

image.png.f9ec2951ad3be52190ace41e2d1cd922.png

A Scorpion ADX-2 w/ chrome visor, yesterday.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I have the first one of those 2 and have been testing it extensively over the last few weeks...

You can see my fairly comprehensive initial thoughts on that over on the last few pages in the helmet thread, but I can summarize here if it helps.

Scorpion ADX-2 (AT960) Pros / Cons for EUC

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Modular
  • Drop-down Aviator shades cool AF.
  • Well made / solidly built
  • All switches / sliders / visors firm and positive and stay where put.
  • Pinlock system (screen included but not fitted) does incredible job of keeping outer visor clear.
  • 'Easy to use in gloves' ratchet fastener
  • Removable peak
  • Good range of sexier visors available - I have the chrome
  • Helpful 'split airflow' vent design
  • Very good noise reduction / isolation
  • Pre-fitted with cutouts for audio systems / removeable cheek pads
  • Lockable in open position (complies with incoming 2024 law allowing 'legal' riding with front flipped).
  • Wind / other noise seems very 'low-pass filtered', which is sometimes helpful (high wind / busy roads) and sometimes not (trying to hear people talking at you)

Cons

• Big and heavy - 1.8 KG without peak (but you get used to it)
  • Hot in Summer unless visors open
  • Inner visor fogs in cold / wet weather and is hard to clear
  • Reduced vertical Field of View since previous AD-950 version
  • View does feel quite restricted initially, especially compared to TSG Pass (I also have that)
  • Hearing people speak is difficult unless front flipped

image.png.f9ec2951ad3be52190ace41e2d1cd922.png

A Scorpion ADX-2 w/ chrome visor, yesterday.

Thanks so much for the detailed post!

How is the sizing, did you size up? My heads 59cm and been reading the at950 runs small. Is the 960 in the same boat?

Edited by Jrekt

1 hour ago, Jrekt said:

How is the sizing, did you size up?

No. I was 57 cm head, went medium and was correct ! :) Felt horribly tight initially (headache etc), but padding loosens after Day 1 to snug, comfortable fit. In fact that was a large part of the reason my initial impressions of the helmet were not good - it was a lot to adjust to after the TSG.

A week later though, and all those concerns are gone, and haven't worn the TSG Pass since, though I suspect it will make a comeback in the Summer months and I am happy with it as a spare to keep me riding should anything happen to the ADX...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No. I was 57 cm head, went medium and was correct ! :) Felt horribly tight initially (headache etc), but padding loosens after Day 1 to snug, comfortable fit.

Wonder if I should just get the at950 its on sale $80 cheaper

Yes, it's cheaper because it's about to become obsolete, safety standard-wise when the requirements get updated in 2024 !

That may or may not matter to us, being on a legally questionable vehicle anyway.

It is more angular than the ADX-2, and has better vertical field of view, but the front flip doesn't lock, which is what makes it not conform to latest European standards. However, practically speaking, I have never once felt the need to use the front flip lock - it remains upright when put there regardless of the position of that slider, so if the ADX-1 is the same you probably don't need it lockable ! Also, you want the chin protection when riding, so it probably shouldn't be up much while you are in motion anyway...

Btw, not to make your decision more difficult or anything, but that MX700 is just about the coolest looking open face helmet I have ever seen !

But at the sort of speeds we can do on our Masters / T4s, I think you will appreciate a full-face visor rather than the open face / goggles approach.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, it's cheaper because it's about to become obsolete, safety standard-wise when the requirements get updated in 2024 !

That may or may not matter to us, being on a legally questionable vehicle anyway.

It is more angular than the ADX-2, and has better vertical field of view, but the front flip doesn't lock, which is what makes it not conform to latest European standards. However, practically speaking, I have never once felt the need to use the front flip lock - it remains upright when put there regardless of the position of that slider, so if the ADX-1 is the same you probably don't need it lockable ! Also, you want the chin protection when riding, so it probably shouldn't be up much while you are in motion anyway...

Btw, not to make your decision more difficult or anything, but that MX700 is just about the coolest looking open face helmet I have ever seen !

But at the sort of speeds we can do on our Masters / T4s, I think you will appreciate a full-face visor rather than the open face / goggles approach.

Yea I got an ex30 coming however I’m fairly new to euc (have a t4 atm) and don’t plan on really exceeding 50km/hr.

Probably gonna get the at960 however. I’m really just worried about the weight/heat in the summer.

Riding with the visor up will be fine anyway.

Edited by Jrekt
  • Like 1

@davewood1982Agreed. I've gone with the dual mirrors now - I didn't look enough like a furious sheep without the other one !

And a spare one on the wrist in case I need it while visor raised !

image.thumb.png.54176085b034c9e64b1200a9732e1ecf.png

Question though - the top vent - is the 'forward position' vent open or closed do you know ?!

Edited by Cerbera

On 3/20/2023 at 7:46 AM, davewood1982 said:

I have the scorpion too, I did find it initially heavy after riding with a IXS trigger ff but I soon adjusted and don't notice the weight now,

I personally don't find the FOV restrictive but I do use a helmet mirror so that greatly helps with 24/7 FOV, imo mirrors are invaluable if in traffic much so that can peak was a necessity when looking for a helmet so I can mount a mirror on so that brings me onto  the peak, again I haven't found any issue with wind or vibration cause by the peak but I did find on mine the screw's holding the peak would come loose after a while causing it to vibrate but I easily fixed that by simply putting shower tape around the threads, you obviously could use loctite or other tape for the same results. 

Its easy to put a Bluetooth system speaker in the helmet as it's got pre existing holes in the foam to mount speakers.

Pinlock system is a godsend and WORKS, I can't understand for the life of me why the tsg or predator helmets don't have pinlock visors especially for the price they cost.

I find the fit pretty accurate, Im a 57 head circumference so went for medium as per the chart recommended,  if anything I find it a tiny bit loose now the padding has worn in so maybe I would've gotten away with a small idk..  but I do have a slim long oval face. 

Iv yet to test it in hot sunny weather but Iv only it commuting to work everyday this winter and it's kept me warm and dry in all kinds of nasty weather. 

IMG_20230320_130954502.jpg

Haha just had a long convo with you on fb about your helmet. Just seen your reply here haha thanks again.