V11 Battery Replacement

Josh P

Hey folks,

I’m a new rider (got my v11 in November) but after inmotion locking my wheel they say I need to replace the batteries. They’ve offered to send them so I can do it myself but I’m a little intimidated and don’t know how to do it. I haven’t been able to find any videos or tutorials so have any of you done it yourselves? How was it and can you point me to a video or anything on how to do it.

Thanks for replying!

• Like 2

Hey Josh, maybe you already saw this video.  But just in case.  It isn’t specifically about changing the batteries but from the start to about 4:27 minutes that gets the battery pack disconnected and removed.   Good luck!  Also, you could try reaching out to Hsiang on his YouTube comments for some advice.  He’s in the city there.  He probably knows some guys who’ve done this before.

P.S. The video shows using some kind of pneumatic or corded power screwdriver.  Maybe you could if you don’t already have it get an electric drill with extensions and set the speed to number one which is low and the clutch also very low to avoid overtorquing anything.  

Otherwise this 4.37 minute time frame would probably be more like one hour.

P.S.S.  Cool that InMotion is sending you the batteries and also that they monitor the safety of the bms to lock out potential risks

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please take this seriously - compromised batteries (apparently they are compromised) can catch fire.

Is there a way for the seller to do this for you? For a 2 months old wheel it should be their job to fix any defects.

But if you have to do it yourself, it's essentially disassemble - unplug old batteries and plug in the new ones - reassemble. It's not rocket science (but tbh still the sellers job to fix this), just a bit intimidating if you've never done it before. Feel free to keep asking questions here before and while you replace the batteries, should you do it yourself. Maybe a third party can do it for you as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's another quick disassembly video by EcoDrift.

From this article: https://ecodrift-ru.translate.goog/2020/07/23/inmotion-v11-razbiraem-ch-1/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en

Part 2: https://ecodrift-ru.translate.goog/2020/07/25/inmotion-v11-ves-dvigatelya-i-prodolzhenie-razborki-ch-2/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en

Note you don't have to remove the board (on top) or disassemble the motor or any of the other parts (they literally put the wheel into its pieces), you just have to get far enough to remove the battery packs (behind the side covers) and put in the new ones and screw everything together again.

Decide for yourself if that's something you would like someone else to do, or if you would do it yourself. You can also loo up "Inmotion V11 teardown" or "Inmotion V11 disassembly" etc., I'm sure there's more, until you are certain enough about the procedure to decide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Please take this seriously - compromised batteries (apparently they are compromised) can catch fire.

Is there a way for the seller to do this for you? For a 2 months old wheel it should be their job to fix any defects.

But if you have to do it yourself, it's essentially disassemble - unplug old batteries and plug in the new ones - reassemble. It's not rocket science (but tbh still the sellers job to fix this), just a bit intimidating if you've never done it before. Feel free to keep asking questions here before and while you replace the batteries, should you do it yourself. Maybe a third party can do it for you as well.

100% and inmotion has also offered to fix it, im just waiting for a shipping label. I’m already in contact with an authorized third party to do it, I just don’t have anything set up yet. Honestly can’t decide if I should just send it to them and possibly wait months to get it back (probably the better idea) or have them send the batteries and someone here do it quickly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Josiah said:

Hey Josh, maybe you already saw this video.  But just in case.  It isn’t specifically about changing the batteries but from the start to about 4:27 minutes that gets the battery pack disconnected and removed.   Good luck!  Also, you could try reaching out to Hsiang on his YouTube comments for some advice.  He’s in the city there.  He probably knows some guys who’ve done this before.

P.S. The video shows using some kind of pneumatic or corded power screwdriver.  Maybe you could if you don’t already have it get an electric drill with extensions and set the speed to number one which is low and the clutch also very low to avoid overtorquing anything.  

Otherwise this 4.37 minute time frame would probably be more like one hour.

P.S.S.  Cool that InMotion is sending you the batteries and also that they monitor the safety of the bms to lock out potential risks

It’s funny, one of Hsiang’s videos was the first thing I saw that got me interested in EUCs. Wish I could remember which one.

But I have seen that video and used it to get to the driver board. And inmotion customer service has been very helpful considering the 12 hour time difference

21 hours ago, Josh P said:

It’s funny, one of Hsiang’s videos was the first thing I saw that got me interested in EUCs.

Same! Except I chose to go with the V13 Challenger.  Should get it soon from ewheels.

Good Luck Josh.  I think that’s a good call.

Must say I’m a little jealous because you live in NYC and they have group rides every 10 minutes.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 7:18 AM, Josh P said:

Thanks I actually just emailed inmotion telling them to send the batteries and I’d take it from there. 

Thanks guys for the feedback, very much appreciated.

Hi Josh, 

I've been waiting for batteries from my V11 for over a month. Did you ever actually receive new batteries from InMotion?

A month? Yikes. But yes, I got them after probably a week and was able to switch them out. They unlocked it remotely and I haven’t had any problems since. I wonder why it’s taking so long…

• Like 2