Has anyone gotten any jump pads to work with the KS18L?

enigma35

I built myself own jump blocks and found  those very good. Those are so slim that I can choose if I want grip from the wheel or not by moving my feet closer to the body or far away.

I don't know if 18L/XL is "power pad" style wheel at all. Maybe in emergency I would like to have something to grab the wheel better but in general I enjoy the free feets, sometimes even my own jump blocks feel too much.

Should not be a problem. I have the classic pads and they don't stick out. However, the 18 l/xl is not a wheel for jumping. The plastic around the pedal hangers is just not strong enough and I just broke it for the second time, even though I'm not doing any crazy stuff.

Should not be a problem as Grizzla Pads are made from 2 parts.. Not one big pad.

I personally don't see point of pads on 18l/xl. As it's not a jumping wheel. And no need to be so "locked" in. Pads would simply make wheel thicker.. And if you place them low enough - you won't be available to close pedals. If you place them high enough, so you could close pedals - no point getting the jump pads that Grizzla offers. Better get simple pads without the jump pad part then.

15 hours ago, Funky said:

Should not be a problem as Grizzla Pads are made from 2 parts.. Not one big pad.

I personally don't see point of pads on 18l/xl. As it's not a jumping wheel. And no need to be so "locked" in. Pads would simply make wheel thicker.. And if you place them low enough - you won't be available to close pedals. If you place them high enough, so you could close pedals - no point getting the jump pads that Grizzla offers. Better get simple pads without the jump pad part then.

I'm not really going to jump the wheel, I just wanted something that would help me accelerate, decelerate, and probably most importantly, to not fly off the pedals if I suddenly hit a bump or a pothole that I don't see. Is there another form of pads/power pads that would be better suited for that?

Great point about not being able to close pedals. Didn't even think about that. What are people doing in my situation?

15 hours ago, Mossi said:

Should not be a problem. I have the classic pads and they don't stick out. However, the 18 l/xl is not a wheel for jumping. The plastic around the pedal hangers is just not strong enough and I just broke it for the second time, even though I'm not doing any crazy stuff.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I won't be jumping it, probably. More just to use for stability and to avoid flying off the pedals when i hit a bump.

Edited by enigma35

My jump blocks are so "thin" that they almost allow the pedals to fold normally. The downside is that you have to keep your feet close to the body to get benefits from the blocks - which haven't been too big issue for me.

I don't think blocks will help you to survive if you hit pothole and the hit is so hard you bounce of pedals in a way that you will fall.

I wouldn't ever sugggest riding in a manner that you can hit potholes that hard. You will damage your rim, wheel body and most probably fall anyways.

Yeah im not hitting them super hard, but i've hit a few smaller potholes or bumps that made me come off the foot pedals about an inch or so. Didn't fall but it scared the crap out of me. That, and I'd like to be able to lean back to break faster.

55 minutes ago, enigma35 said:

Great point about not being able to close pedals. Didn't even think about that. What are people doing in my situation?

Most simply leave them open.. Adding pads will make the wheel almost the same thickness as open pedals. (Grizzla pads are very "big/wide" - Great for locking yourself with wheel.)

Pads that doesn't have the "jump pad" - that little hook like thing. (But not having it, you still could fly off.. As your foot isn't hooked under it.)

ahh yeah i can see that the increased width might be annoying, esp if you cant close the pedals. I guess the main question then is whether the locking mechanism of jump pads / grizzlas and additional stability when hitting bumps or potholes is worth the additional width (because you can't close the pedals)? Or if standard power pads are sufficient? I haven't tried either of them so not sure which is the better option.