Need help with cracked MCM5 V2

Zokoruu

I've been riding with a cracked shell for over 10.000km in rain and whatever. I haven't done anything to fix it because the cracks aren't in crucial areas. 

What you need to protect are the batteries and control board from contamination, water etc. That's easier with just silicone or whatever.

Then there's increased flex in the shell when it loses it's strength. This I do have but it's not bad enough to do a shell repair. 

If it gets bad you'll rub your tire, specially when turning. For that you could use either a special type of dual compound glue (super strong) or you could reinforce the shell by injecting it with steel wire reinforcements, in the shape of a super heated wire that gets placed inside.

Or there's always a shell replacement possible. 

• 1 month later...

Those black Gotway shells are made of ABS plastic, which is a godsend. You can go to your local hardware store and buy ABS glue in the section where they sell the black sewer pipe stuff. The glue will melt into your shell... it is a true chemical weld, vastly superior to putting a layer of epoxy or superglue on top. You can layer it up, on both sides, then after a few days sand it or file it if you need to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, drader said:

Those black Gotway shells are made of ABS plastic, which is a godsend. You can go to your local hardware store and buy ABS glue in the section where they sell the black sewer pipe stuff. The glue will melt into your shell... it is a true chemical weld, vastly superior to putting a layer of epoxy or superglue on top. You can layer it up, on both sides, then after a few days sand it or file it if you need to.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, Onoruu said:

So there is a crack in my MCM5 V2 and I'm wondering what to do with it. I thought about supergluing it, but wouldn't that prevent me from taking it apart for repairs? Should I just buy a new shell instead? How about gorilla tape? 

https://prnt.sc/b5aCtPjy1j5y

https://prnt.sc/9RARxzsIkvKi

It appears that some of your outer attachment tabs are broken. It's a crap design - there are roughly 12 per side and they are all flimsy.  Nearly half of the outer shell tabs on my wheel have snapped off. Add to that the countless number of internal plastic bits that have broken (plastic receptacles for screws on the inner shell, "fins", standoffs, etc.).

You can't glue those tabs back on *effectively* - they will just break off again. Not worth the cost of ABS glue imho. I would just ignore the few broken pieces and ride the wheel until it becomes too ugly to ignore and then replace the outer shells. If you bought the MCM5 from eWheels, they should still have the inner and outer shell sets in stock. I purchased a set previously for around $80 iirc.

Edited by litewave