Kingsong S22 40T from Ewheels

Jonesq

Just got back from my first ride. 

First impressions:

• Weak acceleration from a stop
  • Accelerates quicker than a sherman once you get going. 25-42 felt linear and got there quick. I got beeps around 42, but I think that was EUCworld, not the wheel. 
  • Easy to ride. Confidence inspiring
  • Tire does everything well but you can feel the outer groove if you lean enough and it feels like the wheel is going to slide out (but it won't)
  • The retractable handle is easier to grab than the handle when e-braking and feels more natural to grab but don't grab it because it will slide up since there is no release button
  • Headlights are the best design so far - more lateral coverage and you can angle the left side down and the right side up to avoid blinding oncoming traffic
  • There is some noise when you accelerate hard at low speeds but it doesn't sound like the grinding or knocking noise related to the stator issues. I saw somewhere that the noise was related to the motor keeping you from accelerating too hard. Based on the timing of the sounds, that explanation seems plausible
  • Exposed tire could potentially be dangerous. I touched the tire several time by accident when adjusting my headlights on the go. Do not reach for the lights if you are going fast
  • Suspension does not feel smooth but it does it job well. Took it offroad and bombed down a very uneven dirt/rock path. I was going around 25 carving on bumpy, windy, dirt/rock fairly easily. Can't do that on my V11
  • Seat is not that comfortable. It's harder and the shape is less comfortable than the stock sherman and v11 seat.
  • No bluetooth or app problems so far. Updated to latest firmware fairly easily even though my initial download was cancelled half way through because I went into another app mid-update. Second try worked no problem.

The wheel is very well thought out. To set the wheel down on its kickstand, you reach under the seat and pull down on the handle/killswitch until the wheel rests on the kickstand. To raise it back up, you lift up the handle/killswitch which clicks it back into place allowing you to easily rotate the wheel back upright again. Don't try to push the killswitch down, I don't think it' supposed to work like that.

Once the wheel is parked on its kickstand, the front tilts up exposing the charge ports for easy charging. I was able to plug in the charger without looking at the port fairly easily.

3d printed sliders w bearings have been ordered since I still think the suspension could be better, but even if it wasn't, it's still pretty great.

• Like 3

I think one could take the files posted on the project site https://www.printables.com/model/268351-s22-3po-the-3d-printed-option-kingsong-s22-suspens

and submit them to a site such as https://www.shapeways.com/upload-3d-print-files-models who provide 3D printing and other manufacturing services. However this can get costly if one has to tweak and adjust and make several attempts, potentially more than buying a printer and material yourself. Costs including shipping are going to be significantly higher than if you have a local space or friend with a printer as well, but the convenience of having it shipped if you don't have those options is nice.

Edited by chanman

On 9/10/2022 at 4:18 AM, toe said:

Where did you order the sliders with bearings? Interested in a set myself.

Message Tim O on Telegram and ask him to print it for you. He quoted me $70 shipped.

@coolwheel

I believe he is the one who created the print file. He may charge a bit more than a third party but at least you'll know that your sliders are made the way the creator intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I'm looking to get an S22 pro, coming from a V11, so you seem like a great person to ask this - 

I've been riding my v11 (my first ever EUC) for over a year now. Have gotten really comfortable and want more speed. My concern is that the S22 pro looks really wide in comparison to the V11, so wondering how much less comfortable that is? also the weight increase, and different type of trolly set up. I really like that I can just press the kill switch under the V11 handle when i need to carry it up any stairs. With the S22 pro it looks like the only way to get it up the stairs is to pick it up with both hands by the handles. any s22 owners out there please chime in.

I'm also wondering whether I should go with the upgrades they are doing to the wheel at ewheels.com, mainly whether I should get the 4kw motor over the 3.4kw one, and whether i should keep the knobby tire or get the street tire (j-863). I almost exclusively ride on roads, so the street tire is tempting...but if the knobby tire is not too bad an experience on roads maybe it makes sense to get it with the knobby one, in case i decide to do some offroading at some point? it is an s22 after all...seems like i should explore that if i get such a wheel.

38 minutes ago, EF95 said:

I'm looking to get an S22 pro, coming from a V11, so you seem like a great person to ask this - 

I've been riding my v11 (my first ever EUC) for over a year now. Have gotten really comfortable and want more speed. My concern is that the S22 pro looks really wide in comparison to the V11, so wondering how much less comfortable that is? also the weight increase, and different type of trolly set up. I really like that I can just press the kill switch under the V11 handle when i need to carry it up any stairs. With the S22 pro it looks like the only way to get it up the stairs is to pick it up with both hands by the handles. any s22 owners out there please chime in.

I'm also wondering whether I should go with the upgrades they are doing to the wheel at ewheels.com, mainly whether I should get the 4kw motor over the 3.4kw one, and whether i should keep the knobby tire or get the street tire (j-863). I almost exclusively ride on roads, so the street tire is tempting...but if the knobby tire is not too bad an experience on roads maybe it makes sense to get it with the knobby one, in case i decide to do some offroading at some point? it is an s22 after all...seems like i should explore that if i get such a wheel.

I purchased the S22 Pro (4kw) from eWheels with 40T battery pack and Jiluer street tire in February and have been riding it since March. I absolutely love this wheel

Yes, it's very wide, but you will get used to it. It will also tone your quads! :thumbup: You may hate it at first but, trust me, your body will accommodate, so don't worry, you won't like skinny wheels again :laughbounce2:

Be careful about foot placement on the pedals when learning to ride. Do not hug the battery box, but place your feet near or at the side outer edges of the pedals. Also, be sure they are parallel: if your heels are too close to the side of the wheel, it can be scary and hard to control. You can place your feet farther forward on this wheel, which will help with acceleration.

Flip the pedals around - it's easy, and there are several posts on the forum or YouTube to show you how, though most of them do it the hard way.

The weight is not an issue for me, and my riding weight ranges in the mid-100s depending on the contents of my backpack. You just need to catch the wheel immediately when you stop and keep it vertical until your body learns to do that automatically, which may take a few weeks or so.

Yes, get the 4kw motor and get the Pro model: the roller suspension is a must. I have no complaints about acceleration. It's a Kingsong not a Begode, but it's more than enough for most riders.

I like the street tire. I have a Michelin City Pro II and Pirelli Angel on standby and will compare them after I get some significant wear on the Jiluer. So far, it has exceeded my expectations. Great choice, eWheels.

I don't ride offroad much but have driven through compacted gravel, loose sand, and grass with absolutely no issues. 

Also, all the hoopla about the coil spring is exaggerated in my opinion. I purchased a 300lb and 600lb. At only 160 lbs riding weight, I continuously bottomed out on small bumps (such as road expansion joints) at all shock settings with the 300lb coil. It was a waste of money for me. The stock 750 was too stiff, but the 600 is working much better. I may swap it for a 500 or 550lb in the next month or two.

I recommend you purchase aftermarket pads, at least an upper set.

In summary, this wheel is a fantastic deal from eWheels at $3200.00.

Edited by litewave

1 hour ago, litewave said:

I purchased the S22 Pro (4kw) from eWheels with 40T battery pack and Jiluer street tire in February and have been riding it since March. I absolutely love this wheel

Yes, it's very wide, but you will get used to it. It will also tone your quads! :thumbup: You may hate it at first but, trust me, your body will accommodate, so don't worry, you won't like skinny wheels again :laughbounce2:

Be careful about foot placement on the pedals when learning to ride. Do not hug the battery box, but place your feet near or at the side outer edges of the pedals. Also, be sure they are parallel: if your heels are too close to the side of the wheel, it can be scary and hard to control. You can place your feet farther forward on this wheel, which will help with acceleration.

Flip the pedals around - it's easy, and there are several posts on the forum or YouTube to show you how, though most of them do it the hard way.

The weight is not an issue for me, and my riding weight ranges in the mid-100s depending on the contents of my backpack. You just need to catch the wheel immediately when you stop and keep it vertical until your body learns to do that automatically, which may take a few weeks or so.

Yes, get the 4kw motor and get the Pro model: the roller suspension is a must. I have no complaints about acceleration. It's a Kingsong not a Begode, but it's more than enough for most riders.

I like the street tire. I have a Michelin City Pro II and Pirelli Angel on standby and will compare them after I get some significant wear on the Jiluer. So far, it has exceeded my expectations. Great choice, eWheels.

I don't ride offroad much but have driven through compacted gravel, loose sand, and grass with absolutely no issues. 

Also, all the hoopla about the coil spring is exaggerated in my opinion. I purchased a 300lb and 600lb. At only 160 lbs riding weight, I continuously bottomed out on small bumps (such as road expansion joints) at all shock settings with the 300lb coil. It was a waste of money for me. The stock 750 was too stiff, but the 600 is working much better. I may swap it for a 500 or 550lb in the next month or two.

I recommend you purchase aftermarket pads, at least an upper set.

In summary, this wheel is a fantastic deal from eWheels at $3200.00.

much appreciated input! as for the 4kw motor, did you find it lacking in range at all? Jason at ewheels said the 4kw motor gets approx 30% less range.

7 hours ago, EF95 said:

much appreciated input! as for the 4kw motor, did you find it lacking in range at all? Jason at ewheels said the 4kw motor gets approx 30% less range.

I haven't done a proper range test yet, but will try to do so by end of August. My rough guesstimate is to expect 50-60 miles while riding mostly level terrain, with median speed between 25-30mph.